• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best place to buy headers?

digmy76

I am trying to decide between affordable headers or really nice headers....Is there a middle ground here or will the less expensive ones leak and rust while the really expensive ones will not. I would like a middle of the road header that doesn't leak and it doesn't need to be show quality? What should I look for and where? How should I spend to get it?

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
I love my headman heads from Summit. they dont cost much at all.

desertbug

Loc.
Fallon, NV
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=17457;start=0#msg133423 date=1052971677]
I love my headman heads from Summit. they dont cost much at all.
[/quote]

One of the many benefits of living near Reno - Summit is here! :D

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Unfortunately, you have a tough choice to make. You can go either way.

1) You can buy a cheap header (approx $100) - Don't do it, you will be sorry and replace them later.

2) You can buy a mid-grade header (approx $150 - $250). These are either short or long tube (another arguement all together) and are typically black painted or chromed. You might be able to buy a cheaper header, blast them and jet hot coat them to bring them up to a higher quality header in this range.

3) You can buy a high quality header (approx $280-$360). These obviously are your better headers. The expense is typically due to the coatings such as Nickel Plating or Ceramic Coating.

One issue I would not compromise on - the mechanical design. A good quality header will have 3/8" flanges at the head and collector. Smaller than this and you run the risk of gasket blowouts, warping, etc. You will also find the bolts will stay torqued much better with a thick flange and less time checking the bolts (which is a pain). Make sure they are also designed well for your vehicle. Fortunately most of the bronco supply houses have them setup just right and will answer your questions on modifications if necessary.

Now my Opinion only, is to just get a good quality set right from the get go. I've heard raves about ceramic coated and I went that route. I was particularly interested in the concept of lowering underhood temperatures by 15 degrees or so. They look fantastic, don't corrode, rust or change color. All of these nasty problems are characteristics of cheaper headers.

Good Luck!

Oh, I have pics of what my headers ceramic headers look like on my site if you wish to see what they look like installed.

OP
OP
digmy76

digmy76

[quote author=merciless link=board=5;threadid=17457;start=0#msg133418 date=1052971101]
Well this looks like a killer bargain. Jet-Hot coated headers.

http://www.jet-hot.com/direct.html

$250
Dynomax 85044:
'66-77 Ford Bronco 302, 1 5/8" primary, Automatic trans only, 3" collector
[/quote]

What does the "3" collector" mean? Is this good or bad or of no concern? :p

antsrara

Loc.
Virginia Beach
[quote author=swood link=board=5;threadid=17457;start=0#msg133494 date=1053007424]
Unfortunately, you have a tough choice to make. You can go either way.

1) You can buy a cheap header (approx $100) - Don't do it, you will be sorry and replace them later.

2) You can buy a mid-grade header (approx $150 - $250). These are either short or long tube (another arguement all together) and are typically black painted or chromed. You might be able to buy a cheaper header, blast them and jet hot coat them to bring them up to a higher quality header in this range.

3) You can buy a high quality header (approx $280-$360). These obviously are your better headers. The expense is typically due to the coatings such as Nickel Plating or Ceramic Coating.

One issue I would not compromise on - the mechanical design. A good quality header will have 3/8" flanges at the head and collector. Smaller than this and you run the risk of gasket blowouts, warping, etc. You will also find the bolts will stay torqued much better with a thick flange and less time checking the bolts (which is a pain). Make sure they are also designed well for your vehicle. Fortunately most of the bronco supply houses have them setup just right and will answer your questions on modifications if necessary.

Now my Opinion only, is to just get a good quality set right from the get go. I've heard raves about ceramic coated and I went that route. I was particularly interested in the concept of lowering underhood temperatures by 15 degrees or so. They look fantastic, don't corrode, rust or change color. All of these nasty problems are characteristics of cheaper headers.

Good Luck!

Oh, I have pics of what my headers ceramic headers look like on my site if you wish to see what they look like installed.
[/quote]

What brand are those and where did you get them

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
The collector is the larger tube at the end of the header where all the pipes are welded into one.

Mine are James Duff (www.jamesduff.com) ceramic coated headers. They installed easily and seem to be of very good quality. I've always had good suport out of that parts supplier in the past as well.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
[quote author=swood link=board=5;threadid=17457;start=0#msg133841 date=1053091550]
The collector is the larger tube at the end of the header where all the pipes are welded into one.

Mine are James Duff (www.jamesduff.com) ceramic coated headers. They installed easily and seem to be of very good quality. I've always had good suport out of that parts supplier in the past as well.
[/quote]

Are you running an Auto or manual tranny.??
Thanks a lot

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Manual NP435 4-speed. I believe they will work with both auto and manual though. Double check the duff site if you are interested in those. On my site, I have the shift lever installed on the bell housing, which you can see. I havnen't reinstalled the shift linkage yet though.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
I doubt it as it says their headers will fit automatics. Just call them up and ask. They will know just about every tranny and what will fit.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
[quote author=swood link=board=5;threadid=17457;start=0#msg133863 date=1053096521]
Manual NP435 4-speed. I believe they will work with both auto and manual though. Double check the duff site if you are interested in those. On my site, I have the shift lever installed on the bell housing, which you can see. I havnen't reinstalled the shift linkage yet though.
[/quote]

Swood, great site, and well documented. (I might have said there before). Looks, like a real great project.
I'd consider those headers. Currently, my clutch equilizer bar (I think) actually hits one of my crappy Black Jack header tubes... I'm looking for a quality replacement.
Thanks for you help, I'll check out Duffs too