• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Place to Buy Tires? which tire to get? BFG MT, M.T. Baja, other suggestions?

lil red

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
What tire would ya'll recommend?

BFG M/T
Mickey Thompson Baja Claw
Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrian
Mickey Thompson MTZ Traditional Radial

which one is best?
any other suggestions?

Well, between my F150s and my son's Jeeps (I know, I know), we have ran all 4 of the tires you have listed. Forget the last two. They are not worth sh#t in the mud, They gum up really bad. As for the first two, the BFG MT is the better all around tire (street, mud, rocks) but the baja claw is just teeth rattling COOL! Its also great in the sand. If your ride is not put together well the claws will shake it loose. But, they look good? :cool:

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I like my MT MTZ. I have about 20K on them and there is alot of tread left. I recently saw the Cooper SST or STTs (mud terrain very similar to the Mickey Thompson MTZs). Everything I have heard of the Coopers SSTs aare also positive. My understanding is that Cooper also manufactures the Mickey Thompson brand. So, if you have a local tire store carrying Coopers, you could go that route if you cant find a local shop that carries the MT line.

Down there (I am from Mobile) I think there is Big O, Big 10, Fausak's...and then of course the Firestone's and Goodyear franchises. I dont recall having a Discount Tire in the area when I lived there. Discount is the largest tire chain in the country, so they have the ability to make the best deals. If there are any of the big "off road/truck shows" in the area this summer, that is the cheapest way to get new tires. A few years ago, I picked up 5 35" Mickey Thompson MTZs for $600 (no taxes) at one of these 4WParts sponsored Jamborees...they gave me the option of me taking them home or free delivery to my house...$125 apiece on those tires was a super-awesome deal.

As far as other tires, the BFG KM2 (if they balance) look to be a good tire (design-wise) and their compound seems to wear well. They are also one of the cheaper of the major brands (via 4WP and Summit).

Another great choice would be the Goodyear MTRs. The new design is improved for better wet traction, which is good for the south. Not sure how well they do in the clay soils of AL. I had a set of MTRs (older model) and they didnt have very good wet-traction...but the new design has alot more siping engineered in....might try a bit more research.

The MT Baja Claws tend to wear quickly from all I have heard.

If you dont need an aggressive tire, a BFG AT may be a solid choice.

Good luck with your choices.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Last set of BFGs I bought I got from Sears. They offered a road hazard warranty for extra $. It paid for itself with the first tire I tore up. All I had to pay for was the balancing of the new tire.

They priced matched as well

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I've been on the BFG bandwagon for years, been telling everyone that they are the best. Now I've changed my mind. I've got a set of 35" KM2's on my EB right now, and so far no complaints. But the last two sets of ATKO's on my company truck, and the last set on my personal truck, they haven't wore for chit! I'm only getting around 12 to 15 K out of them. My work truck is a 10,000 lb F350 PSD, and it gets driven hard around some bad roads, but I was getting around 20,000 out of them until recently. My personal truck is an '06 F150, same size tire 275/70R17, and also load range E. Only 10,000 on them now, and they're almost shot. I don't know if they've changed their tread compound or what, but I know I'm not very happy. A set of these tires are around $1,000, nothing to sneeze at. So I don't think I'm gonna be buying BFG's anymore. My boss damn sure isn't letting me run them on the PSD anymore. Right now I'm trying a set of Nittos, so far they still look brand new with 2500 miles on them. The BFG's would be 25% gone already. I don't know if this pertains to the KM's, like I said so far I still love my KM2's. They are wearing good for a mud tire, are great on the highway, and balanced easily with beads. Not to mention they are bad a$$ offroad.
My two cents, anyway.

MattW

http://stores.ebay.com/Macs-Tire-Bin

I picked up my last set from these guys. Prices for my Maxxis were cheaper than I could find anywhere else. Shipping was ~$75 and they were overnighted to my surprise. Took them to Wal-Mart to have mounted and balanced for $35.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
I've used www.TireRack.com a bunch of different tires. Check out the website great info on tires

This is where I get all of my tires from. They will ship them to a local shop as well to have them mounted. I had the last set I ordered for my wife's VW shipped to a local shop where they were mounted and balanced for $8 a tire. The same shop charges $20 a tire if you walk in off the street to have a tire mounted and balanced.

Also, I love my BFG A/T's for mainly a street rig.

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Great response to my situation. Thanks to all that have posted so far. If anybody else has more info/comments lets hear 'em.

SwedenBronco

Loc.
Gothenburg, Sweden
A friend of mine has Pitbull Rocker's, I used them on my Bronco for a while they are great off road and not bad at all on road, I'm going to get them the next time.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I've got close to 70K out of the BFG's on my Tundra, they won't make it through next winter, but that's ok, I think they've paid for themselves... I've never heard anything good for Pro Comp or Nitto truck tires, ever! The only thing I've heard bad about the BFG MT's is from the first few batches which were hard or impossible to balance, but they are on every other truck around here so they can't be that bad?

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
As of right now......I think the BFG KM2s are the best choice......based on what I have seen and what ya'll are tellin me

Thanks guys! Great feedback!

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
4 Wheel is the only I know of that offers the tire replacement for destroying a tire offroad. That would be about the only thing I would get from them. And AL has plenty of wheeling. Morris Mountain I think would be closest to you. Granted all a few hours away, but worth the trip.

Other than that, BFGs I have always liked for a street rig. Seem to wear like stone on my stuff.

Discount tire will not normally cover tires damaged off road. I purchased warrantees on my tires for $40 each two years ago (35x12.5x15 MT Baja Claw Radials) and have since punctured the sidewalls on two of them. My rims are pretty chewed up and that tips them off that the damage was from rock crawling. Both times I get the "we don't cover that type of damage" but have timed my visit to the store in conjunction with purchasing a new set of tires for one of my other vehicles, and then they say, all right but just this time, and replace it (and charge me $40 for a new warranty). So I guess it's buyer beware if you expect them cover abused tires 100%. After 2 sidewall puncures/tears, I'm not sure I can reccommend the baja claws as great tires. If I ever wear these things out, I probably won't get another set.

I guess I could always buy a nice new steel 15 rim and just swap the damaged tire over to it before I take it into the store next time and say it just happened driving down the freeway from some debris??

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
I guess I could always buy a nice new steel 15 rim and just swap the damaged tire over to it before I take it into the store next time and say it just happened driving down the freeway from some debris??

could be possible %)

OP
OP
JDJ

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
I called a guy the other day to find out a price on a set of the BFG KM2s..... I thought I might be able to get a better deal by going through him and his place of employment. I can them (315/75/16) offline (discount tire if i'm not mistaken) for $267 ea .....he gave me a quote of $340!

Don't sound like a deal. I've got one more place to price locally.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
A friend of mine has Pitbull Rocker's, I used them on my Bronco for a while they are great off road and not bad at all on road, I'm going to get them the next time.

Work GREAT off road, not sure bout on the street though