• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Transmission Option

Mark MILSTEIN

I was wondering what is the best transmission to use with a 351 Windsor engine. I have heard about a Jeep transmission with an adapter being a good choice. I was looking to get some input on the subject. I am simply just trying to find the best transmission to use.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Auto or manual? street, trail, rocks, mud, sand? Agree that tech library has lots of good info.

OP
OP
M

Mark MILSTEIN

Sanndmann3. I am looking for a manual transmission and one that is the best overall for all of those things.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Sanndmann3. I am looking for a manual transmission and one that is the best overall for all of those things.

NV-3550 or AX-15 are short, light duty, and shift like a sportier tranny.

NV-4550 or ZF-5 are long, Uber strong, and shift like a truck.

All 4 have overdrive.

If you just want a 4 speed, the NP 435 is a popular choice. Granny gear but no overdrive.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
I have an NV4500 in mine and I really enjoy it in most situations. It is a trucks transmission and yes it does shift as such. As for a manual in a Bronco with all around driving in mind the most pleasurable was one we swapped a T-5 in. It drove like a sports car on and offroad, but talk about a weak transmission and no adapters left that I know of. Next best thing was an NV3550!

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
does a np205 bolt up to the mazda tranny like it does to the zf?

do the 4.2 v6 manuals work for the SBF like the automatics do?

I am having a hard time finding a descent priced ZF that doesn't require a core however i see a lot of the M5s especially for the 4.2.

Mark:
I would use the nv3550 if i had a dana20 and half ton axles no questions asked! One of the vendors have brand new ones for $1500. I saw it on here the other day can't recall which vendor though.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
does a np205 bolt up to the mazda tranny like it does to the zf?

do the 4.2 v6 manuals work for the SBF like the automatics do?
I have a M5OD from a 4.2 behind the stock 302. I used the complete ZF adapter kit to install it so the bolt patterns are the same.

Joe473

I have a M5OD from a 4.2 behind the stock 302. I used the complete ZF adapter kit to install it so the bolt patterns are the same.
Seriously considering this also. Some questions that should also help OP.

Where does the shifter end up with this swap and what year M5 did you source? I noticed shifter moves towards rear in later years.

Also what is overall length with adapter as compared to stock 3 spd? How muck of a change in Drive shafts.

Is input shafts same spline as 3 speed? If not what did you use for clutch disc?

Did you use stock throw out bearing or aftermarket? What did you use for slave cylinder and hoses?

Can T or j shift shifter remain or must u twin stick tcase?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You need to compare the torque rating of the transmission to the torque output of the engine.

A 300 ft/lb transmission behind a 400 ft/lb engine will not last.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Source the trans from a 97-04 F150 4x4 v6. Uses stock clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bushing/bearing and slave/throwout. My kit had a hose on the slave, but BC Broncos carrys one if you need it. Trans and adapter is roughly 31 inches long. J shift ends up twin sticked and I do believe you can keep the t shift. Depending on how much lift you have, the rear shaft will most likely need shortening and the front will need to be longer. Not a great pic, but you can see where the boot ended up on the hump. I can get better ones if you want.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 122

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
I am having a hard time finding a descent priced ZF that doesn't require a core however i see a lot of the M5s especially for the 4.2.

Mark:
I would use the nv3550 if i had a dana20 and half ton axles no questions asked! One of the vendors have brand new ones for $1500. I saw it on here the other day can't recall which vendor though.

All of my ZF's i found on CL for $250-300. Another option is a built AX15 from Marlin Crawler. I would use that over an nv3550. He upgrades the internal parts of the AX15 that have been known to have issues. He has been rebuilding these transmission for a long time.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I used a m5 out of an 89 f150. The shifter comes up just innfront of the bend up to the firewall. There is an older version that comes up way into that bend almost like a 435. There is on after the 89 that it comes up about an inch farther back. But the best one to use for shifter placemant is the 99 to present 4.2 v6 it has the shifter the farthest back position. For the mazda i wouldn't worry so much about torgue ratings unless u have built a torgue monster motor. These wer behind 302, 351, 4.2, and the 300 6 which has gobs of torque.
The v6 one will bolt to the engine block but some of the holes have to be enlarged. The 205 will fit with no adapter but i used the zf adapter and went with the 20. You might be able to rig up the stock shifter (which takes up alot of room) or use a twin stick that will need to be modified to fit also. If you use an205 unmay be able to use the shifter that came in the truck it came out of. It just wont come up in the floor where the bronco hole is. No bolt in for this application as is with most bronco goodies. Lol. I used the stock hydraulic internal throw out bearing for the trans and a 2000 f 250 master coutch cylinder. Had to modify the linkage by addin about an inch to it and then drilled the clutch lever to accept the master cylinder rod. Also had to make a crossmember to install. Also my driveshafts ended up being 29.75" each. The trans and case with adapter was 9" longer than the 3sp w d20. I Also have a 1" lift in rear and 3 in front. Driveline angles came out almost perfect

Sounds like alot of work but it really wasnt. Once i got rolling it went quick. My advice read alot on here and research everything. It helped me alot.

AxlesUp

Loc.
Collierville TN
NV3550 rated at 300 ft/lbs.
M50D-R2 rated at 330 ft/lbs(near as i could find)
ZF5(s5-42) rated at 420 ft/lbs
ZF5(s5-47) rated at 470 ft/lbs
NV4500 rated at 460 ft/lbs
NP435 rated at 450 ft/lbs(near as i could find)

best i could do scavenging up ratings for transmissions mentioned in this thread.

I did find this place which has mixed reviews but amazing prices and they don't care if you have a core or not. go to the home page and you can search by vehicle type. this is the direct link for the m5od-r2.
http://www.smartpartsauto.com/manual_transmission_m5r2_mazda.html#

Joe473

I used a m5 out of an 89 f150. The shifter comes up just innfront of the bend up to the firewall. There is an older version that comes up way into that bend almost like a 435. There is on after the 89 that it comes up about an inch farther back. But the best one to use for shifter placemant is the 99 to present 4.2 v6 it has the shifter the farthest back position. For the mazda i wouldn't worry so much about torgue ratings unless u have built a torgue monster motor. These wer behind 302, 351, 4.2, and the 300 6 which has gobs of torque.
The v6 one will bolt to the engine block but some of the holes have to be enlarged. The 205 will fit with no adapter but i used the zf adapter and went with the 20. You might be able to rig up the stock shifter (which takes up alot of room) or use a twin stick that will need to be modified to fit also. If you use an205 unmay be able to use the shifter that came in the truck it came out of. It just wont come up in the floor where the bronco hole is. No bolt in for this application as is with most bronco goodies. Lol. I used the stock hydraulic internal throw out bearing for the trans and a 2000 f 250 master coutch cylinder. Had to modify the linkage by addin about an inch to it and then drilled the clutch lever to accept the master cylinder rod. Also had to make a crossmember to install. Also my driveshafts ended up being 29.75" each. The trans and case with adapter was 9" longer than the 3sp w d20. I Also have a 1" lift in rear and 3 in front. Driveline angles came out almost perfect

Sounds like alot of work but it really wasnt. Once i got rolling it went quick. My advice read alot on here and research everything. It helped me alot.
How does that 31" or 9 additional inches in length compare to the ZF and NV units. I would expect that would make for a really short driveline with some possible steep angles. Especially with no real suspension lift.

With the shifter does the '89 vintage leave more room for the Tcase shifter on the tunnel than the later 4.2 units.