• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blueprint Engines are a mess!!!

Torkman66

Contributor
So I am a VERY patient guy and understand there are always issues especially with production of engines. I called Blueprint engines last November to order a fully-dressed 302. The sales guy Andrew strongly pushed me to get the new 302 block motor and told me it would be available by February. I sent them 2k and got put on the "wait list." In February I called Andrew and he said it would be ready in the first part of March. Mid march I called and he said first week in April. I asked what the hold up was and he said demand was high. I said I was on a wait list and should be moving through their list regardless of demand because no one should be jumping in front of me. He confirmed that was not happening. End of April I called and he said, "You are the number one on the list and your motor is in production." "You will get your motor last week in May." Last week in May I call and check on status, he says "I promise" you your motor will be out by 6 June (I am departing on a work trip for three months in June). I asked him if they were having any issues with the new block, he said no, everything is fine. I hear nothing from them so call today. Andrew now has a new story. He says he cannot get me a motor and that they are not making any 302s because they have no blocks and he cannot tell me if or when I will get a motor. I asked how my motor was in production first week in May if they had no blocks, he says, he just found out they have had no blocks. My motor is not in production, why? Because they have no blocks! No seasoned 302 blocks, no new 302 blocks, nothing! I ask why the web page is still advertising "seasoned" 302s (which I would be more than happy tp accept at this point), and he says they have no seasoned 302s and are not producing anymore with seasoned blocks and that the only reason it is still on their web page is that their suppliers may still have some in their inventory. (does that even make sense?)

So bottom line, I ask if they have ANY solution for me to get a 302 or their 302 based 306. Answer: NO.
I asked if they have any solution of fix for me (another engine, a supplier, anything), he said no.

Getting a refund of my 2k now and looking elsewhere. I have NEVER bashed a vendor, and have always been very understanding when problems arise. But our Ford car and truck guys need to know when a vender is wayyyy overpromising and wayyy under-performing.

If you want a 302, look anywhere but Blueprint....they are broken.

I'm talking to a supervisor this afternoon and will provide more details if I get any. Unless Andrew is a clueless salesman, it appears Blueprint no longer has 302 Ford motors to offer....at least not now or in the immediate future. They strung me on for almost 8 months! Interesting that they have a 30 month warranty on motors. Wonder what they do if a 302 block is bad and under warranty??? I guess you go without a motor until they find a 302.

Itsa67

I have to wonder if they are supplying vendors like Summit Racing first and direct orders a distant second? Summit has some different sbf combos immediately available, but maybe they have them sitting in an inventory. Interested to see what you hear back.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Buddy had an engine in order for his 69 Camaro.

Same issue as you.

Just got it though n he’s super pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikes79Bronco

Loc.
Homer Glen, IL
That's disappointing to hear. I've been looking at them a lot for a replacement engine the last few days. I hope someone from Blueprint finds a solution for you.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry to hear that. I have had nothing but great experience with Blueprint and actually just posted a very favorable review about their customer service. I ordered a Bronco based 302 and never got the order done correctly in writing. It showed up with the incorrect oil pan and pump. It was my fault for not verifying it and they gladly helped me out and sent a new pan and pump at no charge. Also had other orders with similar experience in the past. For those considering Blueprint, everyone has issues now and then so make sure you don't take an individual example of a problem as your only decision. Good luck on your 302 search

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
So got a call back from BP. They are trying to find me a solution. While I'm not sure about their "promises" they said they would ship the motor to me when I return from my work trip in October. At this point, I have to leave and have no way of receiving the motor this late in the process until I return in October. Andrew PROMISED he would have my motor standing by and ready to ship when I return in October. Not having much choice (I sold my old 302 when I ordered this motor back last November), I agreed. They offered to ship it to me free.

So, for all of you reading this or considering a BP motor, here is the takeaway:
1. They no longer have nor will have any more "seasoned" 302 or 306 engines.
2. Only 302 platforms coming off their production will be the new block version.
3. They are way behind on block production and unless something changes, expect many months of waiting
4. The entire country appears to be suffering from similar 302 block issues, so somewhat understandable.
5. I would not count on the timing they offer when purchasing, so if you are in need of an engine now, might look for other options.

FYI, I did see that Summit has BP 306 motors in stock and ready to ship. These are slightly different from the Cruiser 302s in that they only produce 8 vac which is hard for PB (unless you install a can), and they require 91 Octain. But if you want or need a 302 based, rear-sump motor, Summitt has the BP 306 in stock with free shipping. I am not looking for a big cam motor so that wont work for me.

So, bottom line is that my project is delayed since I leave this month, but will hopefully have engine as soon as I arrive back home in October.
I would have worked with them if they would just have been more upfront about their production problems. Rather than over-promise and continually giving me later dates, month after month, just tell me the engines are 6 to 9 months out even if it risks losing a purchase. That is what good customer service should do.

I'll update you again in October.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
If you want a 302, look anywhere but Blueprint....they are broken.
Thank you for your detailed post.

I am going to assume that you are not looking for an immediate solution to your 302 engine shortage problem, but instead, you are providing a community service bulletin to inform people of your recent experience with a particular vendor.

I will never understand why the immediate reaction to an otherwise reliable vendor is to find a way to compromise, assuage, defend, deflect, or mitigate the situation. I will also never understand why people do not generally comprehend what it means to tell a lie.

A quoted delivery date is an element of the purchase agreement that is just as important as the price, or any other terms. Many buyers make plans and schedules based on the quoted delivery date. It's not just "inconvenient" when the vendor misses the date. In many cases, it is a straight-up, bald-faced lie.

We can wax philosophically about whether a dream is a lie if it doesn't come true. But we are not talking about a dream here. We are talking about an engine, and a schedule, and raw materials, prioritization, and production.

That's the one thing I like most about the Bronco vendors in our community. They might not tell you what you want to hear...but they rarely lie. So maybe we are a little spoiled...

I once tried to order some Chinese sheet metal from a vendor during the Covid supply chain disruption. They told me that the date in the system was a "placeholder" and that there was really no way the could accurately predict when I would get my parts. They said that there were x number on back order, and x number ahead of me, and x number would be prioritized ahead of me. So they recommended against my ordering! Totally pissed me off, but actually saved me months of indecision, waiting, frustration, anger, and pain.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Well said. I can work with any vendor that is straight up with me and yes, delivery schedule is so important. I am managing this build on a schedule that works around what comes next and what should be done before another. Body has been waiting to go back on until after drivetrain complete.

I’m also always willing to allow the company to make things right. I’m hopeful in October, I’ll get the motor. I will add that Andrew at BP was always very professional and continued to stay positive even as my frustration grew. Had he not, I would not have agreed to a second chance to get me the motor I ordered last year.

Will keep you all updated.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I hope that you get an engine in October! I find it interesting that your sales rep didn't admit until recently that they didn't have "seasoned" blocks. I think it's been at least two years in a row now at SEMA that they've admitted their supply of "seasoned" (cute euphemism for used) blocks has dried up.

I'm curious how they handle their supply chain for "seasoned" blocks because we still have them in numerous pick-a-parts here in AZ, i.e. 5.0 Explorer blocks.

Are you trying to get one of the Cruiser engines with the new block?

Todd Z.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would just give people a 200$ credit on orders if they ship blocks to me. If I was them.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Thats what I originally ordered back in Nov. I wanted the HP but not the cam of the 306. The Cruiser can produce 16vac and this driver will have PB so that is needed. There are thousands and thousands of 302s availble across the country, but many are in junk yards. However, BP has the right idea and will corner a big market if they can get thier blocks produced faster. To me, as James pointed out, I may not like what a vendor tells me in terms of availability (or price) but just be straight with me about what the status is so I can make an informed decision.

I've now backed away from the flame and have settled into not getting it until October. I asked Andrew 3 or 4 times that he absolutley promises that when I call in October he will have my motor ready to ship and to my door within a week.

At this point, main reason for this post is that if someone has a driver Bronco or one that they need to sale and they need a new motor now, BP is not the place to get one until they figure out their supply line.

Updates to follow.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
I would just give people a 200$ credit on orders if they ship blocks to me. If I was them.
Yea, they don't require a core and that may be catching up to them. But, if their business model is solid and they do in fact have a legit plan to make new 302 blocks (4 bolt mains) then they ill carry the 302 market once they are fully capable. Until then, if you want one of their new motors, you will have to wait a long time.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I looked on Summit and all the bare blocks are listed as shipping Aug of 2023 or as far out as Jan 2024 :unsure:

Tim

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I looked on Summit and all the bare blocks are listed as shipping Aug of 2023 or as far out as Jan 2024 :unsure:

Tim
Yeah, I saw that too - by bare blocks you mean long blocks, right?

Todd Z.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Be interesting to see if ATK has engines ready to ship or is they have the same "seasoned" block issue.

Tim