• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

brake help needed stuck

sean lalley

Loc.
biloxi
i have a 75 with drums in the front i am trying to get the drum off to replace the brakes all around the drums are stuck
i have tried the foloowing
pb blaster
heat
pry bar
big fn hammer
and nothing has budged it
i have the tire off and can not get it to move am i doing something wrong or does the hub have to come off to get the drum off
please help
sean

duder

Loc.
Milwaukee
Guessing you have never had the drums off before. They cam be a total chit to get off. I used a BFH and finally got it off, unfortunately the other side I ended up breaking the drum (but got it off). Keep working on her. Good luck.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Take the lockout apart
Take off the wheel bearing nuts (nut, washer, nut)
The complete hub and drum comes off as a unit. At least that is how it is suppose to come apart.
The drum is NOT suppose to seperate from the hub on the front. Sometimes the drum looses it's press fit onto the studs and can come off. Generally not an issue, but that is not how it is suppose to happen.

No, you don't need to unbolt the spindle from the knuckle.

TBS-POPS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
valley springs, ca
The fronts are pressed together to the hub with the wheel studs. You have to pull the whole hub as an assembly with the drum. Some guys will say that thiers come off the hud but that is because they have beat them off and the studs wont hold them anymore. They are supposed to be 1 unit, hub and drum... A bfh will knock the studs through if ya need to replace the drum.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And on the rear, you have two possible issues that crop up often. Rust/friction on the center register of the axle and the shoes not retracting far enough to let go.
First try to releast the shoes as far as they'll go by using the adjuster star-wheel through the adjuster port. Keep the PB Blaster juice flowing around that center bore and keep trying.
If it seems like it wants to come off, but is sticking after moving a bit, it's probably the shoes. If it's tight as, well, a drum, and is not separating from the center register, then the axle is still holding it in and you just have to keep at that center section.

Good luck.

Oh, and get a book. It would have saved you a lot of "excercise" when beating on your front drum. And you're going to want to inspect your bearings, re-pack 'em if still in good shape, replace the seal no matter what and then make sure that you re-adjust the bearings to spec.
It's actually pretty easy, but not intuitive the first couple of times.

What kind of locking hubs do you have on there now?

Paul

OP
OP
sean lalley

sean lalley

Loc.
biloxi
[What kind of locking hubs do you have on there now?

Paul[/QUOTE]

i have ford hubs all factory

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have ford hubs all factory

Good man. Still the best, in my opinion.

What that means though, is you have a few more pieces to pull out and keep track of. Intimidating the first time, but after you see how they all work together, it becomes much easier to do the next time.

Paul

bentendo

I'm seeing conflicting advice on the forums, and I'm having the same problem with MY front drums. They just won't budge.

Are the hub and drum really cast as one unit? That flies in the face of all the parts houses that sell replacements. The hubs and drums are sold separately.

If anyone can clear this up definitively, I'd appreciate it, as my arm is getting worn out from swinging that BFH.

Thanks y'all.

OP
OP
sean lalley

sean lalley

Loc.
biloxi
I'm seeing conflicting advice on the forums, and I'm having the same problem with MY front drums. They just won't budge.

Are the hub and drum really cast as one unit? That flies in the face of all the parts houses that sell replacements. The hubs and drums are sold separately.

If anyone can clear this up definitively, I'd appreciate it, as my arm is getting worn out from swinging that BFH.

Thanks y'all.
from the factory they are one piece the lug nuts hold them together you have to pull thgem off as set and then you can nock the lugs out of the drum that will bring them apart i had to find out the hard way but they are 1 piece
hope that helps

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are two, individual pieces held together by the press-in wheel studs as stated in posts #5 and #6 above. The definition of one-piece should be fairly self explanatory one would think...an assembly is not one-piece, it's one assembly or sub-assembly.

bentendo

Thanks, that clears it up big time! :)

NOW I'm going to stop with the hammer and start removing the hubs.