• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Build for Moab 2009 Extended Mix, Labor Day?

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Got more done over the weekend. Ran out to Grand Junction, where Steve was nice enough to setup the gears in the front D60. After watching how much time/effort is involved in setting up gears, I think they don't charge enough! Also got the hood from Steve as well.

Got the end caps welded on the rock-skis and got them installed:
(also put a plate on the back of the fresh air inlet, I won't be using it)
RockSkis2.jpg

Got the hood and front fenders on and cut for the narrowed front end:
NarrFront1.jpg

Front/side view:
BodyFront2.jpg

Last edited:

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Looking good Joe. I dropped off my tub and tailgate today to get lined.

How much are you narrowing the front, and are you going to shorten the hood?

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
How much are you narrowing the front, and are you going to shorten the hood?

Not sure yet. Obviously, the path of least resistance is to go with the same dimension as the hood sits, but I'm not sure.

On shortening it, most likely, but I won't know till I get it back together. I'm in the process of getting the bottom ready to line myself, I've finished a couple of power wash/degrease cycles and have taken the wire grinder to the whole bottom. I'm waiting for it to dry right now, then a Xylene wash. If I don't get it coated today, I will first thing in the AM. The wind is kicking up here/now, so it may have to wait till tomorrow.
Joe

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Well, I did manage to get it shot with the liner. Really went on well and seems to cover nicely. I'll have to see how it looks/feels in a couple of days when it's all dry.
Joe
FrontLined1.jpg

WheelTubLined1.jpg

CloseUpLined.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Looks good Joe! You gonna line the inside of the tub too?

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

I am going to line the interior, but a different color. I ordered a gray color, but the top of the can has an orange/red color dot on it, so I'm not sure what I got. If it's not the gray, then I'll reconsider the exterior color and chalk it up to Providence.

Where did you buy that Roark support? I can't seem to find a vendor.
Joe

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I've been gone the last week and got a couple things done before I left. I mounted the PS reservoir and pump, made a frame reinforcement around the PS box and made a radiator mount and got the bottom hose on to check for clearance.
Joe
PS2.jpg

PSReinf1.jpg

Radiator2.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Today I cut out the heater area and installed a shelf where my batteries will sit.
Joe
Batts1.jpg

Batts3.jpg

Batts2.jpg

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I also got the new O-rings installed on my ARB for the front D60 and got the gears installed and ran the plumbing for it. Then started on the narrowing of the front grill. I'll post pics tomorrow as I finish.
Joe

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Got the shelf put in under the passenger seat, so I can put a drawer under it to keep all the little things that stay in the EB, I. e. winch controller, tree strap, snatch block, etc...

Shelf1.jpg

Then got the body set back up on the frame. I was hoping to get the liner inside it, but it never got warm enough. Got the D60 back under it and put the knuckles back on with the new ball joints and mocked up the TRO setup. The hood will need just a bit of trimming to get it aligned correctly with all the parts as they are.

Unfortunately, that's all the work that's going to get done for the next month. I'm now up in Seattle and should get home with three weeks to get it finished before MBS.
Joe

Narrowed3.jpg

Narrowed2.jpg

Narrowed1.jpg

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Unfortunately, that's all the work that's going to get done for the next month. I'm now up in Seattle and should get home with three weeks to get it finished before MBS.

I came to the hard realization yesterday that in order to finish mine right there's no way it'll be done by MBS. :cry:

I'll still be there and will probably bring the dirt bikes over, and just bum rides from someone.

Nice hood Joe. ;)

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I came to the hard realization yesterday that in order to finish mine right there's no way it'll be done by MBS. :cry:

I'm still holding out hope on this one. Worst case scenario is I only have the buggy to wheel while I'm out there.

At least I have the next month to get all my parts ordered and waiting on me, then I have two and a half solid weeks to get the parts assembled.
Joe

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
So, got back into town on Thursday and trying to get stuff done and ready for Moab.
Joe
I got the TRO setup done and mounted.
TROSetup.jpg

Got the front under-hood hoop bent up. This will run under the front fender line, through the firewall and mount to the A-hoop of the roll cage.
FrontEndHoop.jpg

Got the bearings pressed onto the Dutchman 35 spline axle shafts.
PressBearings.jpg

Got the new coilovers for the front, F-O-A 2.5" with Blue Coil springs.
FOA1.jpg

FOA2.jpg

I also got a few other things done, nothing major, but time consuming.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I really like the battery placement. I might go one further and mount the battery in one of those plastic boxes with the top that goes on it, just so NO leakage ever gets onto the metal to start rotting it.