• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Calling all Diesel Broncos

H

Heinz_67

74BroncoCO said:
I can vouch for James' exhaust. The cackle of the motor is too loud to hear any of the exhaust note. But I would bet that once he removes that muffler, she'll sing real pretty.

J.D.

Come on now, it's not that loud. The tires are louder than the engine at highway speeds and it is overall quieter than my 5.0 was at 60 mph with side exiting exhaust.

Seriously, you can barely hear the exhaust with your ear next to the pipe.

Jim

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
As opposed to everyone else, I want mine as quiet as possible. Mostly because I am a gangbanger on the side and it makes pulling drive by's that much easier. ;D

OP
OP
bigpappa

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
swa0330 said:
As opposed to everyone else, I want mine as quiet as possible. Mostly because I am a gangbanger on the side and it makes pulling drive by's that much easier. ;D

The gunshots would drown out the sound of the motor anyway so that would not matter. ;D ;D

DavidCCTX

Scott,

I cant wait to see how your setup turns out with the rotary pump and
upgraded turbo. I am kind of waiting to see how it turns out before I do mine.
Thanks for being the guinea pig.

David

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
DavidCCTX said:
Scott,

I cant wait to see how your setup turns out with the rotary pump and
upgraded turbo. I am kind of waiting to see how it turns out before I do mine.
Thanks for being the guinea pig.

David

Where do you live?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
bigpappa said:
The gunshots would drown out the sound of the motor anyway so that would not matter. ;D ;D

Don't you want the sound of the motor to drown out the sounds of the gunshots instead?;D

DavidCCTX

Scott,

I live down in corpus christi, texas. I cant wait to hear about how your bronco performs, power, mpg, etc. I have heard about James' Bronco, but inline pump 4bts are impossible to come by so I am really interested in yours.

David

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
David, I am sorry to say, but I also have a VE rotary pump like Miley. The difference is the HY35. In the brief moments of running today, it sounds pretty mean, like it wants to spool a lot of boost into the motor. I am getting a special pipe made to connect the turbo and intake within the next week. For now, the motor is running and I know that. However, I still have a few more connections to make before I can really get the thing into action.;D

DavidCCTX

Scott,

My understanding is that Miley does not have the rotary pump, he has the inline pump. The only kind I can find is the VE rotary pump thats why I was interested in yours over Miley's. If he does in fact have the rotary pump, then I guess I already know that the rotary pumps have good performance, for some reason I was thinking his was the later, inline pump. Good luck getting it going.

David

DavidCCTX

Well thats good to know, Scott, as the rotary pumps are much easier to come by. Only one more question for you for now: How much did it cost you to get that exhaust manifold fabbed to fit the HY35 and what engine did it come from originally.... Thanks again.

David

Broncobowsher

Total hack
From what I can tell...
Exhaust is a waste. It would require so much butchering that it would be easier just to build your own.
Turbo housing would be mismatched to an engine missing 1/3 of it's lungs.
Intake probably wouldn't fit with the missing lungs either.

But you would get a cools Banks sticker you could use%)

H

Heinz_67

Scott got his HY35 from me and it came off of a 2002 Cummins Dodge AUTOMATIC. The manual had a different turbo that year. I was going to run that turbo, but Scott and I have different motives/desires for our final product. It's fun to hear him talk about smoking people at red lights and I'm content with my power and 30 mpg!

To each his own. I suggested to Scott that he have a 6BT manifold modded to fit, but have since found 6 variations of the 4BT exhaust manifold. One of which is almost identical to what Scott now has. If you are considering going the same route, let me know and I'll try to get you the company phone number and part number. The price was around $250.

Jim

Last edited:
H

Heinz_67

I have not found the need. I can pull 12,000 foot passes without downshifting because of the turbo. That was not the case at all with my old 5.0. I out-accelerate a stock Bronco 302 (with manual tranny of course) and can chirp my tires at will due to the torque.

bigpappa said:
Are you guys using any performance parts from places like banks or anywhere. I was just looking at this from banks power and I was currious how much of it could be used on the 4bt. http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AD02&sysid=SD03#

H

Heinz_67

Hey David,

I do not have a P-series inline pump. And, you I would not run it if you gave it to me.

It's a bear to tune compared to the rotary VE, and about 18 inches long. There is no possible way I could run power brakes of any design with a P-9100 pump. I'm extremely happy with my Bosch VE Rotary. A half turn on one screw and 2 full turns on another and I can impress even most who roll with me. However, I've detuned it from what I have found it CAN do to what I WANT it to do.

The P9100's do provide for more horsepower and torque tweakage than the rotarys. That is their primary benefit. Marine/Yacht 4BT's come water-intercooled with P9100 pumps and crank out 250hp and almost 600 lb/ft of torque. Does anybody remember that old cartoon, "Mighty Mouse?" Sorta reminds me of that.

Jim

OP
OP
bigpappa

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Heinz_67 said:
Scott got his HY35 from me and it came off of a 2002 Cummins Dodge AUTOMATIC. The manual had a different turbo that year. I was going to run that turbo, but Scott and I have different motives/desires for our final product. It's fun to hear him talk about smoking people at red lights and I'm content with my power and 30 mpg!

To each his own. I suggested to Scott that he have a 6BT manifold modded to fit, but have since found 6 variations of the 4BT exhaust manifold. One of which is almost identical to what Scott now has. If you are considering going the same route, let me know and I'll try to get you the company phone number and part number. The price was around $250.

Jim

I am looking to dom something simular to Scott so I would be interested in what you know about the different exhaust options for the 4bt. Does the one company sell the 6 different exhaust manifolds?

Kris

POWERBRAKEBOB

Hydroboost Systems

Don't Forget The Hydroboost System With That Diesel. We Can Help You Fab A Bracket To Mount The Hydroboost. We Have Complete New Assy's If You Need It.

H

Heinz_67

Powerbrakebob...

Just curious about the Bronco you own? I've searched through your posts and can't find any specs/pics/info on it.

Jim

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Heinz_67 said:
Powerbrakebob...

Just curious about the Bronco you own? I've searched through your posts and can't find any specs/pics/info on it.

Jim
I wondered the same thing. With all of the posts he made yesterday it kind of looked like he just dropped in to try to get us to spend 10 times as much to do the same thing we've been doing for cheap. Or to get us to buy brake stuff from him instead of supporting our faithful vendors.