• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

chevy disc swap using Ford spindles?

Casey835

was there ever a tech article done on this-whats the material list for a 44 drum to disc

shawski

Loc.
Naperville, IL
The one thing I wish the post would've described is the complete material list from the store.
And secondly, I don't understand replacing the "clip" (??) with a washer and nut. Is this swap before the locking hub is re-installed?
Thanks!

u10072

Bronco Guru
Please Confirm IF you have done this please

Ok to confirm here.. you have a 66-75 bronco and you are wanting disk brakes. In theory all your u-joints, ball joints, seals and everything with the drum brakes are all new.

Please confirm if this sequence is correct:
1. Remove tire/wheel
2. Remove locking hub and spindle nut assemblies- discard snap ring at outer stub axle.
3. Disconnect brake lines
4. Remove Drum brake/hub assembly
5. Install Chevy backing plate
6. Install "SPECIFIED DIAMETER" spacer on 66-75 Bronco drum brake spindle -in the area where the inner wheel bearing rides.
7. Install 76-96 F150 Disc brake hub/rotor assembly and spindle nuts
8. Partially install caliper to determine area to grind on steering knuckle
9. Grind knuckle
10. Install chevy calipers on 76-96 F150 disc brake rotor.
11. Install 7/16 bolt with fender washer into end of stub axle- possibly not needed.
12. Install brake lines
13. Bleed brakes
14. Install tire
15. Test drive.

So if your bronco is perfect from the spindle inward the only thing you need to do is add the "specified" spacer and you can forget having to look or buy the small bearning Dana 44 Chevy spindles?

jason

Loc.
harned, ky
i have been running these spacers since my disc conversion in 2001 with no issues at all. i highly recommend it if you want to save a few bucks on the conversion. pm me if you want a set.
jason

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
Great directions step by step. Don't forget to chase the bolt holes out 3/8 fine tap or you will strip out the holes in the knuckle

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Bringing this back to life !
I just tried this spacer mod & at this point it's NOT working . Everything goes together but the rotor drags on the inner brake pad & theres way too much distance between the outer pad & rotor . Reread the entire thread & at some point the pics were added & I never saw them . The pic of the spacer shows a bevel on the inside of the spacer . In the discussion that was never mentioned . My spacers are not beveled , is that why it's not working ? If so just how did you bevel them ?
Anybody else actually go this route with success ?

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
No , it's a body-off resto & I'm currently building the chassis . It will be a couple months before thats possible . The pad with the piston is tight , it's the "floater" thats a mile off .

u10072

Bronco Guru
I am not sure why on the Chevy caliper brackets you need the sheet metal "bearing guard" that's welded on the bracket in the center. Ford didn't use one so why use is on the chevy? I am still curious if the factory drum spindle will work. If it means killing the crappy dust guard..who cares about that :)

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Ok , a bit of an update . Tore it all down this AM ... beveled the spacer , reassembled . Theres proper spacing now on the caliper/pads . Next concern is the outer spindle nut contacts only about 2/3 of the spindle threads . You who have done this , is this what you have ? Not real happy with THIS latest ... maybe it's enough thread contact but it should be more .
As to the comment on the "bearing guard ", there is no contact or limiting factor because of it . The hub seats against the spindle & thats that .

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
outer nut is about flush with the spindle. make sure the line up peg is locked into lock washer hole. bevel inside edge of spacers to seat against spindle. make sure floating guides are lubed the little spacers on the caliper the pin goes through.should go right together

Superwoody

Loc.
Skyline
New here

Well, bringing an old thread back on my first post. First off, point me in the direction of being able to tell which axle I have on my Bronco. It's a 1970 w/ 302. Also what years are the Che*y truck parts from, I didn't see that listed. Great thread, it needs revived ;)