• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Coco's Mods: Recessed fuel cap & filler neck, P. 14

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Yesterday at lunch I happened to be parked near a first gen Miata and noticed it's outside door handles. They look like they could be another option. A qwik image search is turning up several on ebay, so this might be a good option for the junk-yard challenged. Looks like the second gen's are totally different and not an option.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Yesterday at lunch I happened to be parked near a first gen Miata and noticed it's outside door handles. They look like they could be another option. A qwik image search is turning up several on ebay, so this might be a good option for the junk-yard challenged. Looks like the second gen's are totally different and not an option.

I always thought that 70's Corvette door handles would work good, mounted along the top surface of the door like they are on the Vette. And they're readily available from the aftermarket, not too expensive. But upon close inspection they are designed for a slightly curved mounting surface. Probably could still be done, but wouldn't look quite right IMO. I'm a fan of the Gremlin handles at this point, but just out of curiosity I'll keep an eye open for those Miata handles, sounds like they might be another usable option.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Here's one that might stay fixed (unlike a link to an ebay pic):
F50479653.jpg

Another:
3072711225_4957d34ae1_z.jpg

They're only about one fat finger's width wide in the latch itself.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Hey TS is that the Miata piece? Yeah it looks like it might fit well. For my purposes the key lock is unnecessary. But those would probably be a cool mod for someone shaving the stock exterior door handles and wanting to replace them with a more low profile exterior mounted latch.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Nope, no updates as I haven't been working on it much lately. Got a couple other things going on right now. I hope to get past those and back to Coco soon. Thanks for asking.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
Wow!

That's gotta be the coolest cage I've ever seen!

I totally dig the integrated cup holders and shifter enclosure!!! Pretty much everything about it is a step beyond what I would expect to see in my own rig?!?!

....sadly, if you were to send me everything pre-bent and cut etc. I' don't think I'd be able to install it even!

In short, it's awesome! I'm envious!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Taking her to KOH again?

Yep I had it out there but didn't get around in it much. Just too damned busy. Not only was it KOH week but Transamerican (4 Wheel Parts, etc.) thought it would be a great time to announce they had bought us (Poison Spyder) so both of those going on at once had me pretty pinned down all week. Did you make it out?

Wow!

That's gotta be the coolest cage I've ever seen!

I totally dig the integrated cup holders and shifter enclosure!!! Pretty much everything about it is a step beyond what I would expect to see in my own rig?!?!

....sadly, if you were to send me everything pre-bent and cut etc. I' don't think I'd be able to install it even!

In short, it's awesome! I'm envious!

Wow thanks for the enthusiastic endorsement! Sometimes I forget how cool it is myself so thanks for the reminder :D

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
^that's awesome! Did you have to cut the roof to fit the lift? Looks tight.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
^that's awesome! Did you have to cut the roof to fit the lift? Looks tight.

We just bought the place, the lift was already there ;D But yeah whoever put it in there had to thread a needle. It just barely fits between the ridges of the corrugated metal. There are no holes but you can see the metal scuffed where they were trying to jimmy it into place.

Last edited:

BanditBronco

scared me for a sec, thought Coco had gone to a lesser owner! Another month or two and I will be able to join the lift mafia!

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
scared me for a sec, thought Coco had gone to a lesser owner! Another month or two and I will be able to join the lift mafia!

Not to worry, Coco has a new home, not a new owner ;D

So here's a question for the group. Does anyone have any ideas for getting some flat walls in there? I need to be able to hang my girlie posters up ;D I don't want to frame and drywall the whole thing. Just some plywood or hardboard maybe from bench height up to where the curve starts. I don't want to just screw them to the walls and have the ends of the screws poking through to the outside.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You have a close-up shot (or just a better angle) on the ridges/seams of the new "shed" :cool: by any chance?

If there are any points where it's doubled up, you could rivet or bolt some galvanized or aluminum framing that they're using in some buildings now, without having to worry about weather intrusion.
Even if not, some gasket material or sealer would be all you need.

Have fun. And keep the pics coming.

Paul