• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Distributor with built in coil? anyone running it?

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Are you talking about the GM HEI unit that's been adapted to a Ford distributor? My dad runs one on his 302-powered hot rod - it is a very nice dizzy and very simple.

joe

Bronco Guru
that one is cheap...POS! remember you get what you pay for %)

pro comp sell em outta summit. I know of a few folks that had them break.

the best one's are DUI but very high priced.

good luck!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
They are also known for interference issues with the air cleaner and the bottom of the hood. Don't know of any good cheap ones.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Cheap? not so much! Been running one on my Mustang for 5 years....Cheap is the JBG dizzy! This one is what I had on my Bronco for awhile and was very happy with it!

picture-277.jpg

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
Ive had the Procomp on my bronco from 2005 to 2009, I went EFI, but today went back to carb. I have a 351W, 2 inch body lift. No hood interference, but air cleaner could be an issue. I run the original air cleaner, opened up a bit, with a K&N. Love it, missed it, damn glad to have it back

kyle

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They are more expensive but Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) makes a good one wire distributor.

joe

Bronco Guru
here's an answer to air cleaner issues when using hei distributors.

not a good pic but the hole for the carb is not in the center of the base, its off set so it mover the air cleaner housing backwards to clear the distributor.

that is what i used before i went efi

it also is low profile to clear the hood.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Offset-Sure-Seal-Housing,1614.html

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I have a pic of what it looks like at the end of the day today. All major stuff is installed, but still need to clean it up, make a harness for the oil sender, water temp, tach and power source for the dizzy. Just cant figure out how to post the pic.