• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone on here remember K Bar S Bronco Specialties

OP
OP
K

KbarS

I remember years ago looking thru the KbarS catalog dreaming of what to get for my Bronco, sadly the cash flow back then was not up to the ideas I had. I bet I could still find a few of the old catalogs if I looked hard enough.

Any chance that the son will revive KbarS following in dad's footsteps? Bet he would be happy to help with the start up. We could always use another vendor, especially one with the following KbarS had.

Sorry, I just don't have the passion for the EB that my dad has. I have lots of fond memories, my first car was a 67' halfcab bronco built by me and dad. I believe that the future in this sport lies in a street legal rock crawler type cage that can be used in the desert the dunes or rock crawling. I believe that it can be done with the onset of CARB approved emision engines such as the LS2. Can you imagine, street legal, 500hp, 20"+ of wheel travel that gets 10mpg that you could drive to work or 100mph down a drywash. I say that would be worth having, and I believe it could be done with a retail ticket around $60,000 not bad considering what people pay for H2's...;D

TOOLMAN

I stopped by the shop once when I used to be able to drive my Bronco from Colorado to Calfornia during college breaks. If I got John on the phone, he was always willing to talk or give mechanical advice to me as a new EB owner. I think my spare set of Bronco keys still has that bright orange rubber KbarS key fob on them. My t-shirt wore out years ago and ironically was probably used as a grease rag for a Bronco project.

My best to your father.

-Jason

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I purchased my first classic scoop fiberglass hood from John as well as my traction bars and many other small misc. parts. Still have 6 KbarS stickers and 4 catalogs that I keep in my bronco collection stuff;D

Attachments

• IMG_6222.JPG
    IMG_6222.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6220.JPG
    IMG_6220.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6223.jpg
    IMG_6223.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 122

CodeeB

Loc.
Atlanta
Before I purchased my first Bronco, I always said if I ever went to Las Vegas I wanted to stop by K Bar S. One Summer my wife and I went to Vegas and I stopped by K Bas S. They made the mistake of letting me wonder around the shop looking at all of the Broncos. I talked about nothing else for the rest of the trip or the next 3 weeks until I finally bought my first Bronco. I still have a shirt ( I only wear it on special occasions ) and several catalogs.
Thanks K Bar S .

66Bronco

I bought quite a bit from KbarS during the late 80's and early 90's. Kayline softtop, chrome pushbar (I still have it), 4-speed shifter kit, diamond plate tunnel cover for the 4-speed shifter, etc. I even ran their FS104 coil springs (don't know why I remember that number). Anyway I had many conversations with John back then and just remember how helpful he and his staff where. I stopped in several times and would get a tour of the shop from Ken everytime. I have shop pictures somewhere.

Here's an older catalog

scan0034-vi.jpg

Please say Hi to you Dad for me.

-Terry Marvel

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru
My name is Dan Karp, and I went to the dark side.....;D I mean sandrails and ATV's, I own a LT rail and a couple UTV's and still love offroading. My dad has not been offroading for a few years but still goes camping with my brother and I once in a while. I am a Glamis dunes junkie but not one of those thats wheelies, I actually go for the duning. I take the RZR's to Ocotillo Wells CA for some trails and just quit a long background in dirtbiking about 2-3years ago. Because of my dad I have a vast knowledge of what makes offroad vehicles work and that is priceless. Thanks for all the great comments
I will show him this site next time he is over, I know that he will like it.

Welcome to the site Dan!
I was friends with Patti back in the day. Glad to see one of you finally made it on to the site. I tried to get Ken to join up but, I don't think he ever did.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just curious? Did you buy anything from them? ;D

Welcome aboard Dan! Glad you're here. I have many fond memories of chatting with your dad and visiting the shop many years ago. Glad you've made it on the board.

Todd Z.

OsideDave

I remember turning 21 and going to Vegas, I won big about $100 bucks one night and begged my friends to take me to KbarS. I bought bikini top.
KbarS always had the nicest catalogs to drool over parts.
I loved the orange and white bronco the best.

BandG_Bronco

Loc.
Inman, KS
Bought poly bushings for my 74 Ranger from K-Bar-S back in 1990 - as the only thing I could afford. Loved their catalog - still have a sticker on my toolbox.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
Dan,

I bought my first parts from the shop in Vegas after Pattie took over. I had clients there and would stop by and gawk at the bronco projects going on in the shop and pickup a few items for my own bronco whenever I was in town.

Was sad to see it go.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I never personally bought any parts from KbarS, but when I was in high school one of my friends built up a 1970 with lots of parts from there. He eventually had to sell his bronco but he kept most of the part time stuff which I eventually ended up with. I still have the Kayline bikini top he bought there and I still use the windshiled mount from that kit for my custom bikini.

I still have a couple of catalogs in my stuff too.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
OK here are some pictures sent to me to post for everyone and the e-mail that came with them...

Here are a couple of pics. The orange and white one my dad built in the driveway at home when I was about 8 years old so 33 years ago. These three are owned by K BAR S original partner in 69' Selund which is the S in K BAR S "Karp BAR Selund" I am getting a bunch more pics from mom, I will send some soon. These are in Yuma in his personal collection. Also a pic of John Karp on our visit to this shop. Thanks

Glad to see that Hal still owns "Crazy Horse". Definitely one of the iconic trucks of our sport.

Todd Z.

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here's a pic of one of the early stickers I took last year. I don't think I had ever seen one before.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• IMG_4833 (Small).jpg
    IMG_4833 (Small).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 92

66roadhorse

Loc.
Houston
Got my first bronco in 87 and just about every part we bought for it cam from KbarS, suspension, top, flares, smitty cage, and I am sure other things I am missing. When I sold it, I kinda never looked back until I bought the Roadster. First place I tried to find parts was KbarS, the only place I could remember.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Just saw this post. Heck yeah I remember. I've got KBarS cages in 2 trucks, The complete 8 shock set up on one with the chrome shocks. (don't run the 8 shocks anymore but the mounts are all still there and I did keep the shocks 'cause chrome was cool in the 90's) Several sets of flairs, and other stuff. Hated to see them go. I have found memories of wrenching on my trucks and packages for KBS showing up at the house.

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
I was going through my recipes awhile back and found one and I dont even remember ordering it. I still have the bumper sticker too.

Turbo2

Loc.
Albuquerque
I was cleaning out my garage last weekend and found an old KbarS catalog I tossed out.
I can't recall if I bought anything, but the Bronco I had then has been gone for years anyway.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
Welcome to your new old family.

belive they were the first to offer a four core radiator for the eb's.

I still have the radiator I bought in 1987.

Heres a few catalogs I still have, and I also have some stickers which are still like new.

Attachments

• KBARS 5.jpg
    KBARS 5.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 124
  • KBARS 4.jpg
    KBARS 4.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 107
  • KBARS 3.jpg
    KBARS 3.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 107
  • KBARS 2.jpg
    KBARS 2.jpg