• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dumb Newb questions: want early Bronco.

Greg Bell

Hey guys,

I want a early Bronco. I would prefer a 73 because that is the year I was born and I am a romantic. I am new to the Bronco world and want to know what I am in for. I have tinkered with older vehicles before. I had a 73' Porsche 914 (notice a pattern?) and it got out of hand (crappy rusted Unibody!).

Anyway. How big a hassle are these trucks? They are obviously on the bad side of 30 something, so I recognize parts will be failing. What I am wondering is, compared to say, a Porsche 914, how reliable would you say these vehicles are?

How hard are parts to come by? Are these vehicles servicable in normal Ford dealerships?

What kind of money am I going to spend to get a driver? I want a good driver. I don't care about paint and I don't care about superficial rust issues. What I don't want is a rust-bucket and wiring nightmare.

So, how much are good drivers going for in the Southeast?

Thanks guys!;D

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Its a slow night, I will play....

Compared to a 914? I think much easier, the parts are all over the place from a myriad of years in the Ford vehicle family.

They are old vehicles, you simply are going to have to maintain them, if you want little hassle buy a new Jeep. Otherwise if you enjoy tinkering, figuring things out, jump in. Its a pretty fun hobby.

I personally would not service one at a Ford dealership unless I was that wealthy and needed to spend my money around. Either rely on the group or find a good independent shop.

The amount you spend is going to be tough to estimate. There are deals if you are patient but figure big cash if you want to fully restore or buy a restored one. In my opinion I would think a minimum of 5k for a basic runner on up. Rust is an issue, you should find someone familiar with them to help you look at one with a good eye for issues.

Hope that helps. I have been a big fan since my dad owned them as a child so I am a bit biased.
Dennis

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Most of us work on them ourselves. A decent drive is going to be north of $5k and you will still need to tinker with it. I am sure a Ford dealer will work on most anything, but mine is done right here in the driveway.

Welcome and Good luck.

I agree with dnewman9 though, you may want to buy something new.

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

Naw. I have a new car. I sold my Jeep and my old Porsche and bought a new one. But I miss my Jeep but would prefer an old Bronco.

I just wanted to make sure these things weren't nightmares. From my research they seem to be stout and reliable considering they are 35+ years old. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting into something with a bunch of parts I can't buy and with problems so obscure no one could help me if I get stuck.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Well help is usually only a post away here, and I believe almost every part is available new from a vendor or used from any one of us. Pretty basic machines, an engine, transmission, t-case and a set of axles. No exotic computers or components to speak of and many tried and true mods with readily available parts.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I am sure a Ford dealer will work on most anything, but mine is done right here in the driveway.

Welcome and Good luck.

;D it is???? welcome! there are plenty of brothers in the lower tier that i'm sure could guide you. Read, and read alot. Plenty of info on here. It doesn't sound like you're one to be smitten with a new paint job, if you have old once you understand old. Welcome and do not hesitate to ask anything....

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Everything you could ever want to know about them has already been discussed on this website. These guys were a great help while I was building mine. You could buy a pretty nice one that you wouldn't have to do too much to for $10,000. Or, like most of us you could buy one for a couple thousand and put a lot of elbow grease in to it to make it what you want it to be. They are well worth the time, money and effort.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Broncos have good availability of replacement parts. Almost everything is available in new form from someplace. As far as weak links, they were designed from well known standard parts. The only area that they were weak (IMO) is the electrical system, very few fuses, small alternator. The aftermarket has excellent replacements for both.
They are pretty simple vehicles, so service is reasonably easy. The other place to keep an eye out is rust. The floor boards and cowls are common weak spots, and dealing with that rust can be painful.
Tom

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I would guess that you have researched Early Bronco ownership a little more than you let on. Either that, or you coincidentally mentioned the most likely problems you might encounter. The rust problems, the wiring problems, and the fact that 90% of the parts are obsolete at the dealer ships are the most prominate problems that EB owners run into. The guys on this board can help you overcome most any obsticle you might run into, and the vendors can provide the parts. In short, welcome to the board, you've come to the right place.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Too much. Weird that he ends each line in a question mark like he's asking you what parts are on it. Maybe it's just me.?

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

I agree. I was wondering if he wanted me to guess if those things were included. LOL.:D

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

Wylde,
I would guess that you have researched Early Bronco ownership a little more than you let on. Either that, or you coincidentally mentioned the most likely problems you might encounter.

Heh! My first car was a 64 Beetle. I have owned various other 60-70s cars since I was a kid. The early Bronco problems are common to them all! :)

AZ73Bronco

Loc.
Phoenix, Arizona
My .02

If you wind up getting one, welcome to the Bronco family!:D

As far as Broncos go, they kick butt, even stock! What vehicle do you know of that comes with a D44, Ford 9, & V8 Power??? And, if you are patient you can find good deals. The one in the craig's list ad looks like someone has worked on it a lot! Beware of other people's problems. Sometimes the best ones run well, but are fairly stock and need a restore. Fun projects!

I'm new to this forum, but the crew here seems to be pretty helpful and there are members all across the country with lots of Bronco experience.

OP
OP
G

Greg Bell

I plan on enlisting the members of this forum on my search. I won't be doing any impulse buys. I am going to send pics, etc and let the experts guide me!

1970mule

Bronco Guru
well, i all of the sudden started to like broncos i think it was in college when i saw one. i was smitten, lol. i got mine off a farm in napa valley Ca, i paid like $2400. i did alot of research and looked at by budget which was not much. When i had it shipped down to me without ever seeing it, i know stupid and crazy. i got lucky it was a pretty stock 70 with a 302. it had molasses in the tank and it started and drove anyway after sitting for years. i was replacing the engine any way so i beat the crap out of that one. but hey as reliable goes once you get them running on all cylinders they are awsome. and pretty simple to get around.