• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EEC Choices....8LD, A9L, A9S.....

mattt

Bronco Guru
I'm planning to install a 351W Lightning engine in my 69 Bronco. I've got a C4 Auto trans. I've seen way too many computer codes thrown around and I'm wondering if it really matters which one I go with? I'm planning to run an RJM harness or a Mustang harness to convert this engine to MAF, so I need everything(harness, EEC, MAF, etc). I've been reading here about different computer codes, who likes which, etc. Is there any reason to search out one particular computer?

Seems like most people here like the A9_ computers. I was talking to someone local today and he was claiming that the 88 Mustang MAF(CA car) EEC(8LD) is the best computer to use. Something about best program, most aggressive tune from the factory. He claimed that every future year Ford was programming them more conservatively.

So, let's hear it........which EEC is the "best?"

Which harness is best to use, RJM? Stock Mustang(any particular year)?

Stock 55mm MAF?

Any reason with the Lightning engine(stock for now) to not use stock Mustang 5.0 components?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Matched as in the computer and MAF came out of the same car? or....

Matched as in if you are running a computer from some 89 Mustang make sure you are running a MAF from an 89 Mustang? Not necessarily the same exact car though.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Does not need to be the exact same car.
89-93 (non-cobra) MAF matched to an A9x is good
'94/5 MAF matched to the same A9x isn't, unless you chip it to match.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
I'm not convinced that it really makes a difference so long as you try and match an automatic with an auto computer and a manual with a manual computer. Though there are some folks who have used auto computers with manual trannys and vice-versa and say it still works fine. I have an injected 351W with a C4 and run an A9M and it works good. I've also plugged in a C3W and A9P and they worked fine too. Can't say I noticed much of a difference. Maybe if you put it on a dyno you might be able to measure something but I sure couldn't tell.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
back to the top. I thought everyone would weigh in on computer preferences. Guess it really doesn't matter which one I go with. Any other BTDT stories on Mustang computers?

Ryan

Loc.
Lansing, MI
any 1989-93 (non-cobra) computer will work
any 1988 Cali MAF computer will work.

If it has SFI-MA12A on the sticker it will work

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
any 1989-93 (non-cobra) computer will work
any 1988 Cali MAF computer will work.

If it has SFI-MA12A on the sticker it will work

Thank you Ryan for weighing in on this thread.

Is there any particular computer & MAF sensor that is best suited to the Lightning engine? Or, does it not really matter which one I go with as long as it is 89-93 non cobra computer and matching MAF sensor? Is the 88 "8LD" computer anything special like I was told by someone?

racebronco

Loc.
Jeffersonville, IN
I got mine out of a 90's thunderbird, don't know the code but I'm using it with a re-wired towncar harness & intake manifold. also grabbed the injectors & MAF sensor from the thunderbird. all works well.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
Thank you Ryan for weighing in on this thread.

Is there any particular computer & MAF sensor that is best suited to the Lightning engine? Or, does it not really matter which one I go with as long as it is 89-93 non cobra computer and matching MAF sensor? Is the 88 "8LD" computer anything special like I was told by someone?

bump this up.

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
it really doesn't matter which computer you use. cobra eec is fine if you use stock meter and 24lb injectors. if your going with 19's and stock meter a9l, a9p, c3w, etc... will all work.

i prefer to get the engine harness at the junkyard and get computer harness new from ford. summit sells it new for 209 or so. makes going fuel injection a snap.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Listen to Ryan any of those ECM's will work auto or manual. I ran an A9L with my ZF then put in a C-4 for the wife and it works just fine.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
A follow up question on EEC selection......according to Ryan's site the X3Z(93 Cobra) EEC is no bueno. Why is that? I was considering getting an X3Z, 24lb injectors, and a Cobra MAF to help my 351 Lightning EFI breathe a little better with some extra juice going in. Sounds like it's not a good plan....what about the X3Z is bad?

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
bump this back up.....

anyone running an X3Z? Good? Bad? Ugly?

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
For an auto A9P is supposed to have a slightly more aggresive advance curve. It won't matter a whole bunch, because with a 351 you'll never have it perfect unless you get a Tweecer or custom chip. All the ECM volume calculations for air/fuel will be based on 5.0L instead of 5.8L, even with a MAF, unless you reprogram it.