• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EEC Choices....8LD, A9L, A9S.....

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
What horsepower numbers are you after? Do you need 24 lb injectors? I think mmost stock 460 trucks are only running 24 lb injectors.

Well of course the answer to question 1 is as much as possible. ;D Total armchair speculation here....but my thinking was that since the 351 is a little bigger than a 302 that it may benefit from the 24lb'ers, 70mm MAF and Cobra ECU. Seeing as how the Mustang stuff(EEC, 19lb, 55mmMAF) was developed by Ford for a 302 engine, I thought this made sense to seek out the next step up. Since I know little about building engines....is my logic here whack? Right now the Lightning will remain stock, other than the MAF conversion, however, I could see a cam change and 393 build in the future. Im trying to get the injection system pieced together once vs. having to change/upgrade it when the changes start.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
I was running an A9P, but the dyno guys liked working with the A9L better, so we switched it out.

That is interesting because it seems like everywhere I've read about these different A9_ computers, it said they were basically all the same. Ryan's site as an example. Is there a different between Mustang computers in your opinion?

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
That is interesting because it seems like everywhere I've read about these different A9_ computers, it said they were basically all the same. Ryan's site as an example. Is there a different between Mustang computers in your opinion?

I have ran both and cannot tell. I think the A9L idles a little lower because it is for a manual.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
For an auto A9P is supposed to have a slightly more aggresive advance curve. It won't matter a whole bunch, because with a 351 you'll never have it perfect unless you get a Tweecer or custom chip. All the ECM volume calculations for air/fuel will be based on 5.0L instead of 5.8L, even with a MAF, unless you reprogram it.

I was thinking of having it tuned once it's up and running since it's a non factory combo....Lightning engine with Mustang MAF ECU system. Soon, I'll have to find somewhere in SoCal that does this.....everyone I've asked in the past used to know of a place....but they've all gone out of business.

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
Well of course the answer to question 1 is as much as possible. ;D Total armchair speculation here....but my thinking was that since the 351 is a little bigger than a 302 that it may benefit from the 24lb'ers, 70mm MAF and Cobra ECU. Seeing as how the Mustang stuff(EEC, 19lb, 55mmMAF) was developed by Ford for a 302 engine, I thought this made sense to seek out the next step up. Since I know little about building engines....is my logic here whack? Right now the Lightning will remain stock, other than the MAF conversion, however, I could see a cam change and 393 build in the future. Im trying to get the injection system pieced together once vs. having to change/upgrade it when the changes start.

The big problem is once you make big changes you have to retune the computer. I would talk to ford racing and find the components that would facilitate the 393 and still function successfully on the 351. Then all you will have to do is reflash your chip. There is a tech line on the internet at ford racing .com i think.

jurob

Loc.
Virginia Beach, Va
the computers are essentially the same. the cobra eec if fine also, but its mass air transfer functions runs a little richer and pegs sooner which won't be an issue for your combo.