• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine cranks but won't start...Ignition or Distributor maybe?

n10ec

Loc.
Knoxville
Had a crate 302 installed in my '77. Most everything else on it is stock. Was running great for a week, but the ignition switch was sticking and hard to turn. Replaced the ignition (not the entire assembly, just the inner part) and it fired up and still ran well for several days. Went to start a day later and the engine cranks but will not fire up and begins to drain the battery. The wires going to the coil read 12V when the key is turned on. A buddy checked the wire from the ignition coil to the distributor cap by inserting a plug and it emits a blue spark when cranking. A similar test of one of the plug wires produces no or very faint spark. I've replaced the ignition coil and distributor cap and rotor, but it seems that was just a waste of cash. Any suggestions? I'm still thinking I may have issues with wiring from behind the ignition switch, but would I still get power to coil if that was the case?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the engine spins and there's 12v to coil it should start...check for 12v at coil while cranking. Maybe it's hot while in the on position, but what about the start pos? If not, you have a bad ignition switch and the key cylinder was not the real problem. I had a switch turn too far somehow, and it would jam in the start pos. now, a year after replacement the new switch is letting the engine run-on after turning the switch off.

OP
OP
N

n10ec

Loc.
Knoxville
If the engine spins and there's 12v to coil it should start...check for 12v at coil while cranking. Maybe it's hot while in the on position, but what about the start pos? If not, you have a bad ignition switch and the key cylinder was not the real problem. I had a switch turn too far somehow, and it would jam in the start pos. now, a year after replacement the new switch is letting the engine run-on after turning the switch off.

Thanks, it shows a drop in voltage when moving key from on to start position. So you are saying best bet is ignition and not somewhere in the wiring from ignition?

69red

Loc.
Cochrane, AB,CAN
what type of ignition do you have? Duraspark? if so, my guess is the ignition module is fried.

also check to see if there is a brown (?) wire on the "I" terminal of the Starter Relay. that wire bumps the voltage to the coil up when cranking the engine.

OP
OP
N

n10ec

Loc.
Knoxville
what type of ignition do you have? Duraspark? if so, my guess is the ignition module is fried.

also check to see if there is a brown (?) wire on the "I" terminal of the Starter Relay. that wire bumps the voltage to the coil up when cranking the engine.

I do have the duraspark...wiring on the relay looks correct. Any way I can check the module?

OP
OP
N

n10ec

Loc.
Knoxville
Just to finalize this...I installed an HEI distributor and she fired right up. Still seems to be a little play in the ignition switch. I assume it might be a good idea to replace the entire switch and rewire, but it's running too good to mess with right now!

OP
OP
N

n10ec

Loc.
Knoxville
back again and will not start

Any ideas out there are appreciated...

The bronco was starting and running well with the new HEI distributor but then starting became inconsistent...sometimes fired right up, then other times seemed to struggle to fire (just cranks and eventually begins to drain battery). Now it will not fire at all, just spins and at times during cranking I can hear a 'click' that sounds electrical. The battery tests good under a load. Seems to be just an issue in getting the spark to turn over, but I don't have a clue and the person who installed the crate engine is having trouble diagnosing as well. The last time I took it to him it fired up like a champ...now nothing.

ransil

Bronco Guru
If you have the old ignition switch you replaced I would swap that back in, new one might be junk.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I poured some gas in the carb and it fired up...fuel filter or pump maybe?

That would be where i start. you can check the fuel filter by trying to blow threw it. and before you pull any thing, take the air filter off and crank it. once you have cranked it a few time(not firing) work the carb and see if any gas is squirting in. if it is then fuel is not your problem.