• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine dies out

70_Steve

Old Guy
NYLES: I haven't replaced the TFI, it's <5000 miles old, I also had it tested at the auto parts store and it tested fine, however my next step is to replace it anyways.
Just for grins. When it won't start, pull the SPOUT connector. That makes the TFI use a little different circuit to fire the coil.

I always wondered if this was a valid troubleshooting procedure...

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
I actually tried pulling the SPOUT yesterday and didn't see any change.

I'll verify later but I'm thinking there might be something to the flooding... It just kind of clicked that when I was working on the remote TFI harness I had to pull the distributor and remember smelling gas. Didn't think much of it at the time but now I'm realizing that there could be gas in my oil from it flooding. What all would affect that? Leaky injectors, fuel pressure regulator... anything else?

NYLES

Bronco Guru
NYLES: I haven't replaced the TFI, it's <5000 miles old, I also had it tested at the auto parts store and it tested fine, however my next step is to replace it anyways.

Viperwolf: I'll get a fuel pressure gauge and verify. Pulled the codes, nothing to speak of.

70_Steve: I'll try that later today and report back.

tested fine cool, fer sure try a new one

NYLES

Bronco Guru
next time it dies pull the plugs if its an inj youll see it, id had 3 when I first did my efi, drove me nuts, then i ordered a new rebuilt set problem solved.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
this dying and wont start then all is well stuff.....im feeling a bad connection bad ground

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
Sounds like fuel vapor lock...get that alot in boats. Heat from sitting evaporates the fuel in the lines. Where are your fuel lines routed?

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
Down the passenger side of the motor, about 6 inches from the header, then over the transmission to run down the inner driver side frame rail, opposite the exhaust.

Would I still have pressure at the fuel rail if I was experiencing vapor lock?

Also, I was under the impression high pressure fuel systems weren't prone to vapor lock... is this false?

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
At this point you don't know if you have a high pressure fuel system. Pumps can crap out when hot.

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
Just a quick update... I've replaced the TFI and the fuel pressure regulator and still no luck.

I guess the next step should be to check the fuel pressure and make sure my FP isn't getting overheated...

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've experienced similar symptoms twice. Once when the transistorized ignition over heated and cooled quickly. Ford made better Duraspark units by '80, ending that problem.
The second time was a fill up with bad-dirty gas. Always tried to avoid buying gas at a station that had just been resupplied, churning up the sediment in their tank. Well I did it anyway, tho unknowingly. The solids would coat the pickup screen, plugging it and killing the engine. When the fuel stopped moving, the junk fell off the screen. Then I could start the engine again and go about 10mi. before it happened again.
Of coarse fuel pressure went away when this happened but if I checked the pressure on restart it was fine. I couldn't diagnose it for sure till I pulled the tank.
Don't know OBD would help with the diagnosis.

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
Thanks for chiming in jckkys. The ignition module is brand new, as is the coil. I'm doubting that it's bad gas since it's been going on for many months, across many tanks of gas, however, the fuel pickup screen could definitely be getting clogged. I've dealt with floaty bits in my boat before so I'm familiar with that type of issue. I don't think it's clogging completely, but it could be straining the fuel pump enough that it's causing it to overheat.

I picked up a fuel pressure tester today so I'll be able to eliminate or verify lack of pressure tomorrow.

ransil

Bronco Guru
do you have spark during not start??
could be the hall module in the distributor,but I don't see that cooling down after sitting 5 minutes it will usually heat soak from the motor. you could get a heat gun and heat it and other suspected parts.

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
Yes, though it seems a bit sporadic, and puny. I have a lifetime warranty on my dizzy so I'm gonna swap it out tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

On another note, my fuel pressure looks good. When cold, it idles at ~39psi, after a 20 minute drive, it was idling at about ~36psi. So while I could still have an injector issue, I think I can rule out fuel pressure as a problem.

70_Steve

Old Guy
On another note, my fuel pressure looks good. When cold, it idles at ~39psi, after a 20 minute drive, it was idling at about ~36psi. So while I could still have an injector issue, I think I can rule out fuel pressure as a problem.
What happens to the fuel pressure when you turn off the engine?

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
It slowly drops.... which brings me to my next question: Should the fuel system hold it's pressure when not running?

If so, this could be indicative of stuck/leaking injectors causing flooding... however, if this were the case, it seems like I would be able to recreate the issue just by repeatedly priming the fuel system, then waiting for the fuel system to drain into the cylinders and flood, which is not the case.

OP
OP
collinbrewer

collinbrewer

Loc.
Austin
I replaced the distributor thinking maybe the stator was acting up and still no luck.

70_Steve: Can you or anyone else comment on my fuel pressure dropping after I turn off the car?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Drive it. Get it nice and warm until it dies (I suggest a bunch of trips around the block) then look at fuel pressure when it won't start.