• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine STILL cutting out while accelerating problem SOLVED!

meanwire

Loc.
Central Oregon
My 77 Bronco still cuts out when I accelerate. The Bronco is a stock 302, it doesn't cut out or stutter while idling. So far I've replaced the fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs, accelerator pump and checked the timing. Now what, I'm about to pull my hair out! Would like to get it running right by this weekend for hunting season. Please, I need help! Thanks!

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Got a tach? Does the needle jump around when the stuttering starts?

Jmbronco

I just replaced my spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, condensor, points, coil, intake manifold, and carburetor. The engine was idling real smooth and I think the timing was pretty good. Then when I took it on the road it seemed okay but when I would step on it, it would bog down and lose power. I checked everything and messed with wires about four different times (putting old wires back as well as distributor cap going back and forth). Eventually, I believe it was the wires that weren't seeded correctly (new set of wires had a connector that was barely holding on). I basically went over every wire and put a screw driver to open the connector on the side that attaches to distributor cap. Today the rig is running fantastic however I think I broke a axle u-joint on my way home from dinner.

this is just my opinion but I would check connection on every single wire to distributor cap, plugs and coil.

good luck,
jeff

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Cant remember but have you rebuilt or replaced the carb? if not there may be dirt or varnish in the carb thats blocking the passages and is causing a lean condition.

OP
OP
meanwire

meanwire

Loc.
Central Oregon
Well I changed out my fuel pump, adjusted the timing and adjusted the carburetor, hesitation gotten a little better but still there. Noticed that my see through fuel filter barely had any fuel in it. Went to check fuel lines near the fuel switch and notice a cracked hose, cut the cracked part out, hoping that would fill the see through fuel filter, that didn't help. Rubber fuel lines are real mushy, could that be the problem? Enough to collapse the line so it's hard to fill up the see through fuel filter? The see through fuel filter is now about 1/2 full, I would think that would be enough fuel don't you think? Thanks!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
It doenst take much of a blockage to cause the motor to sputter or stall out under throttle. When I first read your post, I was thinking it was in the tank, but you should probably replace the lines anyway. If that doesnt cure it, it very likely could be sediment in the tank blocking the pick-up.

Other times I experienced this kind of behavior when my truck was stock was when the ignition module was about to take a dump. Wasnt always a full-throttle thing, either...sometimes it ran fine and then would die as you came off the gas. As they go out, they work intermittently...very much a hassle. Ignition modules are cheap to replace and readily available at most parts houses...but I would revisit the gas thing...its likely in the delivery.

OP
OP
meanwire

meanwire

Loc.
Central Oregon
Well I ended changing my rubber fuel lines and blew them out, clean as a whistle but still was cutting out. So I changed the rubber fuel line that goes from the hard line from the tank selector switch to the fuel pump, it fixed the problem. Over the years it rubbed on the steering shaft and showed signs of cracks and was deteriorating and ended up sucking air. Glad it fixed the problem, a lot of pulling hair out, but it need a good tune up. Thanks for all the advice and support!

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad you got it figured out, should be running nice with all those new parts. Now you can drive your Bronco and have some fun! ;D