• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 Sensors

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I'm installing a 96 Explorer 5.0 and I have a question about the temperature and oil pressure sensors. I will be running the stock Bronco gage cluster. Do I need two sensors for each? One for the Explorer ECU and one for the gage cluster. Or just hook up both to the one sensor?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You will need a separate temp sensor (explorer ECT) for the ECM. It won't be compatible with the cluster temp gauge so you also need a Bronco temp sensor for it. The ECM doesn't look at oil pressure, so the stock Bronco oil pressure sensor is all you need there.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Also if you can put the Explorer sensor in the same relative location as it was on the Explorer sensor. I had mine in the intake behind the t-stat and it read cold until the t-stat opened then it shot up to real temp and that caused some rich conditions on warm up. Not a big deal but it annoyed me.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
The coolant sensor near the #5 injector is for your gauge. The one in the heater pipe is for the PCM.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Explorer is still old and dumb enough that there are 2 temp sensors. One for the gauge, the other for the computer.
The Explorer gauge sender can be removed and the Bronco sender installed (different calibrations for different gauges)
The temp sensor for the computer should stay where it is at.