• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech EFI pre-order info

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
Thanks for the info bteustch! Still running good? I'm very happy with this setup so far. Idle can be a bit erratic but will play with it with the info you provided. The only "problem" I'm having is I don't like the hanging idle time. In stop and go traffic with a clutch it can become frustrating and it can't be good when wheeling. I will call them Monday and post what they say for anyone else having this issue. That being my only issue has made this purchase more than worth it!
Mike

bteutsch

I've been driving mine everyday, been running great, however I got caught in a rain shower on the way home a couple of days ago and the Bronco died and left me on the side of the road. After much troubleshooting it looks like my pertronix ignition module is bad. Would turn over and hit a little but never crank. Called my buddy Steve (Lowpressure on here ) he came to get me with his car trailer so after about an hour of cooling off it cranked. Just loaded it up anyway and now I'm trying to decide if I should just replace the pertronix module and rock on or maybe put together a duraspark setup. Just for the ease of parts replacement.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
So it started after an hour? I've read that once the module goes out it's out and most likely won't run again. Interesting. I've been thinking about running dura-spark myself. I just pulled the MSD box out this week just to clean up the engine bay. I only put it in because I was having so much trouble with the e-street.
The Fitech unit is running great. got around 600 miles on it and no issues.

bteutsch

Well best I can tell it's going out. The pertronix tech states there is no field test for the pertronix iii. I verified on the side of the road I was getting fuel in the throttle body, good fuel pressure also. After about an hour on the side of the road, I changed coils And it cranked, changed back to original coil and it cranked. Only thing left seems like it would be the module . The duraspark seems attractive to me for the ease to find parts, also there is a hybrid conversion, to he HEI module that can be done.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
According to FiTech all you need is a 2 wire dizzy that can be locked out. Instead of piecing together a duraspark, why not get a 2 wire dizzy and let the FiTech do the rest? I know decent 2 wire dizzy are not cheap like an MSD or equivalent but it is a thought...

bteutsch

The only thing I worried about with a two wire dizzy was replacement parts. Maybe I'm worried for no reason. Maybe I don't understand how all that works. I got two duraspark wiring harnesses today at the u auto pull it yard for $15.00 I emailed FiTechEFI and was advised that the GOEFI system will control a Duraspark ignition if the advance is locked out. Got a module and a distributor ordered to pick up tomorrow at NAPA. Seems like a an easy upgrade.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
A dual wire dizzy only has a pickup coil in it. Nothing really to wear out, you lock everything out as the computer controls advance so no springs or vacuum to mess with. Just set initial timing and thats it. Any changes to timing from there are done with the handheld so you don't need a timing light to make changes etc. after the dizzy is locked down. To me it is far more simplistic since going with an efi system. Also, letting it control timing will help economy as well.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
A dual wire dizzy only has a pickup coil in it. Nothing really to wear out, you lock everything out as the computer controls advance so no springs or vacuum to mess with. Just set initial timing and thats it. Any changes to timing from there are done with the handheld so you don't need a timing light to make changes etc. after the dizzy is locked down. To me it is far more simplistic since going with an efi system. Also, letting it control timing will help economy as well.

Can you show us an example of a reasonably priced one for a stock 302? Figured it would help those looking to get the right one.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Isn't the duraspark distributor basically a 2 wire distributor? One of the wires is nothing but the control module ground(attaches to the distributor body).

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Here is an example from Summit. What you are looking for is a magnetic pickup and mechanical advance for a clean look. The advance stuff will be ditched and you will lock out the rotor. MSD units are a little more but they are already set up to be locked out plus they sell an indexible rotor button which aids in getting things set easily.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8579

ransil

Bronco Guru
Isn't the duraspark distributor basically a 2 wire distributor? One of the wires is nothing but the control module ground(attaches to the distributor body).

that's what I was thinking..cheap just need to lock out the mechanical advance

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
1985 Ford Mustang 5.0 had a Duraspark Distributor. $60 for reman or $100 brand new. Summit, Autozone, Oreilly's. Will have a small core charge.

bteutsch

I spent about $130.00 total, Duraspark ii Napa distributor, motorcraft ignition box, junkyard harness.

bteutsch

Wired and running, I'm playing it safe though. Using mechanical/vacuum advance until after OCBR. Mostly plug and play. Had to run the power wire and ignition wire using a Viperwolf diagram, others just plugged in.

romerdoug

I just ordered, looking forward to it getting here. Unfortunately, the fuel command center is on a 2 1/2 to 4 week backorder. Hopefully it's closer to the 2 1/2 week, it will be getting cooler soon and I didn't want to deal with a carb another winter.

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I spent about $130.00 total, Duraspark ii Napa distributor, motorcraft ignition box, junkyard harness.

so will you still need to run the ignition box once the throttle body ecu is controlling timing? the diagrams that Fitech have in their instructions show that "conventional 2 wire distributors" can use the timing control with or without a box. wondering which way your going to go with this. I'm really trying to get as many wires hidden in my engine bay so would like to run with the least amount of wiring.

bteutsch

I think all you need is a distributor with a 2 wire magnetic pickup, I don't think the ignition box is necessary. I haven't looked over the diagrams. Bryce at FITECH was telling me about a billet distributor for $120.00 that would work. I'll investigate it soon but I'm not in a big hurry. I'm enjoying it running right now.

drock

Any updates from the few guys running this set up? I placed my order and I am just waiting for delivery.