• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FiTech EFI pre-order info

romerdoug

I got everything installed, really an easy install. Everything went together nicely and looks good. I haven't driven it yet and am hoping it takes care of itself but has anybody else had trouble with idle settings? I have played with the programmer and adjusted the idle screw but can't get it to drop below 1200 rpms.

drock

They didn't give me really a procedure, other than adjust them about 1/8th of a turn at a time. I was actually on the phone with them while I did it. I had already adjusted the primaries closed but was still getting a high idle. While on the phone with Ken I was told there is an adjustment screw in the right front for the primaries one in the left rear for the secondaries, since I had already adjusted the front, the secondaries needed to match. So he advised me to back out the screw in the left rear the idle dropped immediately. I'm sure you could visualize with the air cleaner off if they are open or closed. They were wanting me to watch what the iac was doing prior to me adjusting the idle. With the engine warm it would crank then idle up then drop to around 1000 rpm, he said watch the iac steps with the handheld to see if it dropped to 0 or near 0. It did but the idle didn't come down, that's when he told me to try adjusting the secondaries. I'm assuming with the throttle plates closed the iac allows air in to control the idle. I can idle down to around 550 rpm now, but idle gets a little rough the lower I go so I set mine for now around 650 rpm.

My secondaries may not be completely closed I just adjusted them until the idle dropped. I didn't visualize that they are completely closed.

Posts #75 and #76 talk about the high idle adjustment. Maybe try the method and let us know what the results are.

drock

Got this from Bryce the other day on adjusting the idle.
The TPS reading will zero out every time you key off and allow the EFI save. What you are trying to achieve is to be at idle at operating temp with the IAC position between 5 and 10. To achieve this follow the steps below.

1. Bring engine up to operating temp. (around 180)
2. On the handheld go to Dashboard
3. Observe the TPS, IAC Steps, and Coolant temp readings
4a. If IAC Steps is zero and RPM is above target slowly close primary throttle blade screw (1/8 turn at a time) till IAC Steps start to raise to target 5-10 range.
4b. If IAC Steps are anything above 10 slowly open the primary throttle blade screw (1/8 turn at a time) until IAC Steps lower to the target 5-10 range.

NOTE: If TPS reading is 1.5 or higher the EFI doesn’t think the engine is in IDLE so it will raise IAC as a follower feature. To reset TPS just key off an allow EFI to power off. When EFI has saved the handheld values will go blank.

Bryce Cegielski
FiTech Fuel Injection
12370 Doherty St. Suite A
Riverside, CA 92503

Phone – 951-340-2624
bryce@FiTechEFI.com

Some better instructions.

bteutsch

There is an idle screw near the throttle mechanism in the front. There is also one on the opposite side in the back of the throttle body. They really adjust the throttle plate position. They both need to be closed enough so the iac can control the idle.

romerdoug

Damn, should have kept reading. I went through the first 50 posts and then I guess I got impatient. Haha. Thanks gentlemen

mainsail09

Contributor
Loc.
Tuscaloosa
fitech

Well, mine is installed and on first crank had a small fuel leak. It doesn't take much time at 58PSI to pump a lot of fuel thru a loose fitting. After the cleanup it ran great but I noticed my little Carter electric fuel pump was giving me 9+ PSI inlet pressure so now I wait for a regulator from Amazon. Very impressed with the ease of installation and I thought the instructions were clear and well thought out. I too am having issues with idle rpm but can't work on it til Mon.

drock

Are you running the Carter P4070? I've got everything set up minus the line to the Fuel Command Center and won't be able to get it it until next week. I was debating ditching the regulator on the low pressure side but if you are getting 9 psi I might have to keep it.

mainsail09

Contributor
Loc.
Tuscaloosa
FItech

I am and its giving me 9+ and according to Bryce and the instructions 8 is max. Amazon had a Mr Gasket regulator for $26.

earlybronco

I am interested in this product as well. If possible please update how things are going.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Competition hopefully they will consider a group buy now.

The Holley ad mentions a transmission controller option, might be a big plus if reasonable.

mainsail09

Contributor
Loc.
Tuscaloosa
FItech

After waiting for my regulator, installing it and getting the pressure set to 6 it fired right up and idled well. I drove it as much as I could before being called to more pressing matters. My first impression is confirmed that this is a good product and well worth the money.
Just because Holley is bigger doesn't make them better. I support the startups as much as I can because competition is always good and I really like the personal service I have received the Fitech staff.

bannind

The transmission control options are only available on Holley's higher end 'Terminator' series and then it starts jumping into the 2.5k range. For that price point, just do an explorer EFI swap. I am always about supporting the little guy as long as it is apples to apples. I do like the fact that FITech came to the table with a more competitive price early than Holley.

My 2 questions are how is the timing control on the FITech and do people wish they would have saved the $350 bucks and just did their own HP fuel setup?

romerdoug

I ordered the Fuel Command Center along with the FiTech efi. Both were very easy installs, it took a couple hours to have both installed and wiring completed. I have put about 100 miles on the system and love it. I do not have the timing control set up at this time so I can't really help you with that. I am really looking forward to a carburetor free winter since mine is a daily driver.

bteutsch

I ordered the command center also. For me the command center was the best option. I was able to keep both my main and auxiliary tanks, no return line required was a plus for this setup. It seemed like it could get complicated keeping both tanks and running a return. Maybe impossible in the factory configuration. If I had a single tank or the larger capacity tanks that are EFI ready like the vendors sell, then a regular in tank pump would be the way to go. Or even a frame mounted pump. I'm glad they have the command center as an option. It's not a necessity for everyone. And like others I was eyeing the edelbrock sump setup and the e-street EFI. The price point is a big selling point also. FITECH is cheaper, but the best thing about this company is their support staff. They are accessible, and being able to speak to the designer of the system when you have a problem is priceless. I wish them much success. I can promise you Holley won't have that kind of support, even if they make a great product at a competitive price. As far as the timing control. I'm planning on using it, but haven't gotten to that yet. I just upgraded to Duraspark and I'm just using the vacuum advance for now. As far as how it runs, in my case maybe my carb was a little big for my setup, I don't know if mileage has improved, but my exhaust smells better, I also have instant starts, and much better overall acceleration and performance. The problems with the system that I've had so far are sub-harness plug had a bad connection, and a problem with the check valve in the command center. I burned up the electric pump because of the check valve. I was able to replace the pump with over the counter parts. I did do a good bit of damage to the top of the command center trying to take it apart without a spanner wrench. After FITECH identified the problems I was having and gave me a temporary solution to the problem, I was able to enjoy the rest of my time at OCBR. When I got home, I contacted FITECH, they gave me a shipping label, I swapped the burned up pump back into the command center, I disconnected the sub-harness, put in the box it came in and sent it back to FITECH at no cost to me. They sent me a new sub-harness, installed a new fuel pump, I'm not sure how they repaired my command center top, they either replaced it or repaired it, but it looks like new. They performed a modification on the check valve that should solve the problem I was having. Got it back installed and all is working great. I have nothing but good things to say about FITECH hope they are able to grow and keep their personal service.

drock

Just to piggyback on what bteutsch said (he has also helped me out with a few questions I had), FiTech's customer service is top notch! For example, I emailed them at 10pm after I had installed their set up and got a response in less than 10 minutes from a personal email account. No hold times on the phone for a tech rep, no BS, etc. just real guys that designed the system and know their stuff. Only put a few miles on mine but it runs better than a well tuned Q-Jet carb.

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
Bteutsch, did FITech say there was a design flaw with the CC check valve that they would fix on future units or was it just specific to yours? I've been waiting for them to fix any bugs before I pull the trigger on one. Now I might wait and see if there are any reviews on the new Holley system after it comes out next spring.

drock

The bug was fixed. All new units have a relief in them (or at least mine did).

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Holley's coming out with another system? What type will it be? I was ready to bite on their system until I asked how much the replacement ECU would be...at almost a THOUSAND dollars to replace just the ECU I jumped back to the Mustang system tuned my Moates...