• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fitech- Won't Start - Update 6.1.16

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
Just finished hooking up their system with the fuel command center and it won't start. Followed the instructions and re-read and rechecked everything. The handheld and the computer seem to be talking but it won't start. I am not hearing the injector "click" they are talking about either. Once while trying to start the handheld screen turned white but after unplugging it it was normal. I'm worried I won't be home tonight before their tech line closes so if anyone has any ideas post up!

P.S. I am not using timing control

Last edited:

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like the Fuel Command Center / Throttle Body is not getting fuel.

FCC was primed prior to hooking up power to it?

OP
OP
El_Ducko

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
I don't see fuel spraying into the throttle body but I had a small leak right after the filter so I think fuel is going the right direction.

Northwest69EB

I had this same issue with mine, turned out the FCC internal pump was broken so when I would crank the engine my mechanical pump was filling the FCC but the internal electric pump wasn't sending any fuel to the FiTech unit. I bought mine from JEGS but when I called they said the FCC pump was on national back order and suggested I call Fitech. After calling FiTech and explaining the issue they had me ship them back my FCC for repairs, I got the FCC unit back in about a month. Once I got it back I made darn sure it was primed and fuel was coming out the high pressure side then hooked it all up for round two except this time I could hear the internal pump and hear the fuel spray into the FiTech TB unit. I primed the FiTech unit twice and it fired/ran with no issues except vacuum leaks and tuning but that’s another story. Hope this helps

OP
OP
El_Ducko

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
I can hear the internal electric pump turning on, and it is showing pressure on the gauge. Could you hear yours?

BigB

I had the same problem and once I confirmed that fuel was making it to the throttle body(disconnecting and flowing into a bottle) they had me reset the computer through the controller.

But you are taking a stab in the dark without going through their tech line. Good luck!

OP
OP
El_Ducko

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
I talked to the tech dept about 2 1/2 hrs ago and we tried a bunch of different things that didn't work. They said they were going to send me a programming update to load onto the handheld...still haven't received the file.

OP
OP
El_Ducko

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
No. Not losing power. I wish someone else had that update file. I guess I will email them and hope they send it in the morning.

68stang73

Whats the pressure at the FCC? either the pump is weak or the software isn't telling it to cycle. But they do test every unit before shipping they say. Mine smelled like gas when i got it. So i knew they ran tested it.

OP
OP
El_Ducko

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
So Fitech sent me a software update around 10AM this morning. I had the day off so I loaded the new software onto the handheld and went out to try it out. After following their email instructions exactly the pump in the fuel command center and the injectors in the throttle body would not stop cycling. The instructions said they would cycle once. So i unplugged the power and called the tech line. It rang to a full voicemail 6 times. On the 7th call someone answered and we went though the symptoms. My handheld that used to talk to the ECU prior to the update will not longer connect to the ECU. They said that the ECU was in a constant boot cycle. I asked if I should reload the program and they responded that it wouldn't help and that I would need to send my unit in for service. :-[ From what they said I should get it back sometime next week.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Bummer. Whenever there's a major issue, you have to remove it and send it back? What can you do if you're out on the road? Just questioning the reliability of these units a couple of years down the road. Sounds like when they go down, they're done. I hope you can get this resolved, these seem pretty popular here lately.

Mark

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Bummer. Whenever there's a major issue, you have to remove it and send it back? What can you do if you're out on the road? Just questioning the reliability of these units a couple of years down the road. Sounds like when they go down, they're done. I hope you can get this resolved, these seem pretty popular here lately.

Mark

This/\/\/\....I was hoping for something a little more bullet proof....

Wonder if that new "competitively priced" Holley FI will be better....

Steve in O'Town.

OP
OP
El_Ducko

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
Serious Bummer. When a company brags about the simplicity of install you expect it to run, simply!
My biggest complaint are the instructions. Even if this system had fired up as promised the instructions need to be rewritten.

matt w

Bronco Guru

Mark

Ya ! i almost ordered one these past 2 days!%) this seems to be one of the only ones i have heard about,,, hmmmmmmmm

OP
OP
El_Ducko

El_Ducko

Loc.
LA LA Land
So Fitech sent me the return paperwork to include with the unit and NO return postage! I emailed them back asking why I had to pay for shipping on a defective unit and they did not respond back. My guess is that they are too busy fulfilling new orders to care about existing customers.

bteutsch

They will cover the return shipping. Save a copy of your shipping receipt. They used to just issue a shipping label. Now they refund after receiving and verify that the problem is theirs..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northwest69EB

El Ducko, I'm sorry you’re having so many issues with the Fitech unit. I myself had quite a few when installing it then getting it setup correctly, there was quite a few times I got frustrated and wanted to rip it all off then reinstall my Holley carburetor but I just had to keep telling myself it’s a 30+ year old truck which was never meant to have fuel injection and if the system was dialed in just right it will all be worth it. Keep at it sir and I hope FiTech has a quick turnaround for you!