• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Gas Mileage

Rickb1b

I kept very good track of my MPG over the course of my build and just thought I'd share some of my results to maybe help out guys looking at combo's.

I started with a totally stock 69 with three speed and 302. I didn't know the condition of the 302 but it had 30 psi oil pressure and 130 psi cylinder compression on all 8. With this I was getting 10 MPG city and 11 highway. In the winter I run 4x4 continuously and got 9 city 10 highway. Highway speed was 65-70.

I then installed a 1 inch body lift and NV3550. Got the exact same MPG nothing changed.

Then I installed 31 in tires and a stock 89 351W, with performer intake and cam, Holley 600; 8.5 compression. Now I get 11 mpg highway 9 mpg city in 4x4.

BTW the speedometer was calibrated with a GPS so it's right on and I spent a week tuning the engine, it's right on also. Although I could speed the timing up a little. It's at 35 total but doesn't get there until around 3,500 RPM.

I hear lots of guys getting better than this, I'd love to know how they are doing it.

BTW I love this as a street combo: 351W, performer cam/intake, Holley 600, 31 tires, 4.11 gears, nv3550.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The easiest way to get better gas mileage is to lie about it.;)
It's not the engine speed but the wind resistance that's killing your mileage. Our car is set up very similar to yours and I've done some testing on my own. Ours gets around 17 at 55 MPH and 12 at 70 MPH. Your overdrive may also be keeping your engine out of its proper torque RPM. Your best mileage will happen when you travel at the engine's maximum torque RPM. Most of the factory Bronco engines had a maximum torque somewhere between 1800 and 2000 RPM and that's where you will get your best mileage as long as you're not traveling over 55.

Deano

Bronco Guru
Or go back to a I 6 then you can get 19-21 at 55mph but don't expect to go any faster than that. That's all it's got capton.

u10072

Bronco Guru
Oil is at $46 a barrel-- who cares what the mileage is lol!! It is funny when guys talk about fuel mileage that's better than an 89-93 mustang-- with a 89-93 mustang engine in it-- it like really?? I guess the laws if physics don't apply to your bronco lol!!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A lot of 302s had maximum torque closer to 2600 RPM later 70's had it down around 2200. Now early 351's tend to be down around the 1800 RPM range. late 80's well max torque is around 2800 RPM. Not sure where max torque is with a performer cam but it should be fairly close to that 2800. That coupled with your gearing/tire size and at 75mph you should be running about 2700 rpm.
351's are not really mileage masters but you should have been able to pick up a little with its better lowend torque. But then again maybe your gearing and tire size are causing the RPMs to be a little to high for the 351's liking. As your most likely cruising at its torque peak while its not working hard its normaly better to run under the curve even tho the curve is fairly flat but lower RPM's means less throttle aand less gas needed.
I would get the timing all in by 3000 and double check the jetting you may even need to play around with it a little more to see if you get any changes. Things that look right on may not be.
Its all a fine balancing act. If you like your tire size then 3.50 gears may be the answer. Or step up to say 33in tires see if that helps/hurts anything. You really have to to consider what a lot of guys are running for RPM's on the hiway that have similar engines.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Oil is at $46 a barrel-- who cares what the mileage is lol!! It is funny when guys talk about fuel mileage that's better than an 89-93 mustang-- with a 89-93 mustang engine in it-- it like really?? I guess the laws if physics don't apply to your bronco lol!!
I can get 16 on the highway with mine. I would think the mustang my engine came from would do better than that. The engine has been modified some though.

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Back in the day I had a bone stock uncut 73 Ranger with a 302 and auto that got 17mpg on highway driving 55. It did have a lot of rust so maybe it was lighter than a solid Bronco%)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The fuel economy on ours actually improved when we got rid of the wide floatation type tires and went to narrower truck type tires. The ride and handling was improved also.
Weight and vehicle lifts are also factors that affect your mileage.

Outlaw Bronco

Loc.
Shenandoah, VA
Stock 3 speed, gears, tire size. 347 cid gets 15-16 mpg @ 55 mph, 2600 rpm.

Pretty happy with it, but i am sure my plans of 35's, 4.56 gears will kill the heck out of it.

wepuckett

Hey I am used to trucks and not the best gas mileage usually always under 20 even in my other vehicles so if I get at least double digits in the bronco I am more then happy.

OP
OP
R

Rickb1b

Maybe I'll do an experiment. I usually drive the highway between 65-70, I would be curious what I would get at 55. Although "I cant drive 55".

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
The easiest way to get better gas mileage is to lie about it.;)

No kidding. If you tell people you're getting 15 mpg or better in an EB how do we know it's true?

Back in the 70s during the embargo and soon after we had guys telling us they were getting 20-25 mpg in their F-150 size Ford pickups. You could actually stare at them and see their noses growing outward.

Don't ever complain about gas mileage in an Early Bronco. For comparison I had a new 1972 Ford Maverick w/ 302 + C4 and it never got any better than 12.5 mpg in town or on a long trip.

OP
OP
R

Rickb1b

Actually, I used to get 15 mpg, but then I calibrated my speedometer to the GPS.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
My 70 Stang w/ a 302 30 over gets over 20 cruising around 68 mph or so, but it's also got a 3.0 gear ratio and a T5 w/ overdrive :cool:

The Bronco??? Not even gonna try, jus' make sure the needle stays above 'E' :)

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I am doing good at 11 mpg....

You guys getting 15+ are really doing good.
Hard to imagine an eb getting much over 17 mpg.

sriha

Hard to say what I get but calculating off of distance that I drove and how much I put in afterwards I think I am in the upper teens. I went about 100 miles plus a weekend of wheeling and only put in 5 gals when I returned. Average road speed was 60mph. I have a 302 with a 2 barrel carb, axles are 3.50, I have 34" swamper LTBs and 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift. I think my truck is relatively light but probably still 4500lbs. I did hit 70mph at one time but that was pretty scary with touchy steering and tires that probably should not see that speed.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I don't "worry" about mileage but it is interesting to track

Mine has been getting worse mileage lately but the reduced fuel pricing more than makes up for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 58

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Have you installed a wide band on it to see where your AFR is going down the road?