• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

guys please help fast. almost got it fixed

andy8190

Loc.
denver
so i posted the tread about vapor lock cap and i changed my fuel pump and it still didnt work. i think i have found the problem though. i went back outside and disconnected the tube from the carb and turned the truck on to see if it would pump and sure enough it pumped great so there is a block or something in the carb can anyone help with this? what can i do bc i have no clue on carbs so i dont even know where to start

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
I'm trying to remember if you replaced the filter that screws into the carb, maybe time for a carb rebuild, they are really simple get the kit and give it a try then you could make sure that there is not a bunch of crap, in the float bowl or fuel varnish on the needles or jets.

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
ok so i have seen a lot on this needle thing in carb and i have no clue where it is or what it looks like? can someone give me detailed instructions on what that is and what it should do or shouldnt do. if i look down the top of my carb i can see 4 disc flap things. the bottom to flaps are closed but the upper two stay half way open is this supose to happen? im assuming that my carb underneath my air filter when i take it off or is that something else

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
do you know what kind of carb it is? does it have a tag on it or some kind of numbers/letters cast into the side? 2 barrel or 4? rebuilding carbs is really pretty simple, as long as you dont lose any parts, and you remember how you took it a part, if you can tell me what kind of carb it is than maybe we can find some instructions

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
give me one sec to look. but im not exactly sure what im looking at. it is right below the air filter right? you can see down into it when the filter is off? im sorry im really new to repair stuff. it sounds like my needle is stuck from what ive read bc it pumps great until it is connected onto the carb. what do you think

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
i cant figure out how to post pics on here or i would post them. it gives me a http link when i click on post image. do they have to be online for them to post?

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
you have to be a contributor to post pics directly to the site costs like 12 bucks or you have to host them off site like photobucket or something like that, let me see what I can dig up online

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
im actually feeling good about this for like the 3rd time but i think this is the problem

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
and the best these are complete rebuild instructions for your carb enjoy your home work for the evening, dont know if any of this will help but at least you will know about what you have got, I find this helps a lot with trouble shooting, oh and I have pulled the top off my edelbrock carb and put it back together without changing the gasket before and didnt have any problem with leaks, the rebuild kits are cheap, and one last thing there is a small screen under the fuel inlet on these carbs, the fuel fittings have a hex on the carb side and if you remove this there should be a small screen in there it could very easily be clogged but it sounds like you have some crap in the carb, Has the bronco sat for a while before you got it? Because that can cause any gas that was in the float bowl to evaporate and leave a varnish in the float bowl and on the needles and seats under the floats read the rebuild instructions and this all will make more sense

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/1000/1477.pdf

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
yeah it sat for a while. think i will be able to do this knowing nothing about carbs. also can you get rebuild kits at auto parts store or order online bc id like to do this saturday and sunday if possible?