• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

guys please help fast. almost got it fixed

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
im still clueless on what the needle is and where it would be and how to fix it if its stuck

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
I have found them at auto parts stores dont know where in the country your at or what kind of auto parts stores youve got around you but anything that caters to racing guys or hotrod guys should be able to get you a rebuild kit for an edelbrock it isnt really that hard and you will feel better knowing that you can do it and you will have a lot better idea of what is going on in there. you can also get the rebuild kit from a place like summitracing.com but they charge a flat 10.95 handling/shipping charge no matter the size of the order so I would try to find it someplace local

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The needle is under the float usually attached its a small chunk of brass pointed on one end and usually has a rubber tip. It regulates the incoming fuel. See item 27 in your parts break down the bottom piece is the needle. If stuck sometimes you can lightly tap on the side of the carb and it will unstick but most of the time you need to pull the cover off and remove the needle and actually clean the gunk off it carb cleaner works good for this.

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
the needles and seats are under the float as gas comes in the float floats up and causes the needles to close off the flow, usually if the needles are dirty the carb will have problems because the carb will run to rich because it cant stop the flow of gas but there are jets in there that can be clogged and cut off the flow of gas. Get the rebuild kit, remember to keep every thing clean, and the worst thing that will happen is you will have a rebuilt carb and you will still have the problem. Then you can can check that off of your list of possibilitys and move on to something else

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
how much do these kits run. i might try to just clean it first since that will cost the least. any links on great ways to clean them?

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
take it apart as per the rebuild intructions and clean every thing with carb cleaner even if it does not look dirty clean it the rebuild kits are cheap 35-40 bucks

beat me to a description of what the needles and float do

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
oh. so when i clean this thing just spray on carb cleaner and let dry or do i need to get like tooth brush and gently scrub. sorry for the detail i just want to do this right. any links would be great or just tell me through here

Mherriford

Loc.
Oregon City, OR
take it apart spray and scrub/wipe every little part down compressed air is also nice for some of it just take your time you will be suprised how much crap can be in there and dont forget the screen under the fuel inlet

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
was gonna start tonight but didnt have any of those torque bit drivers or whatever they call those other types of screws

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
do i clean the whole carb or just the top of the carb the part that has the floats on in?

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
ok once i pull it, how will i know if i damaged the gasket and if i do can i just get a gasket or will i have to buy a repair kit. i heard soaking it in carb cleaner works and then just rinse or what?

or do i spray with carb cleaner and get the tooth brush after it

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
ok i will start on that tomorrow night or saturday depending on when i can pick up those damn special drivers. i dont have an airgun so do you think those bottles of spray air for like computers will work or do i need more?

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
aight im about to go take the carb off the block since i can atleast do that tonight. after that im showering and hitting the sack. please come back tomorrow and give me more advice or atleast see how it went

OP
OP
A

andy8190

Loc.
denver
wait i hope you are still there. i just went to take off the carb and found that the vacuum valve plug that goes over the manifold vacuum was cracked real bad so i think it was messing up the vacuum seal. know where you can get a new vacuum line plug?