• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help choose a replacement engine

Vicki

Would appreciate your input on these options:

Here are three different engine swap options with three different prices ranging from $1800 to $3800 plus the labor involved.

First is a stock replacement long block here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bpf30216c/overview/make/ford

This is a basic engine but does have a roller cam. The power is very low at 225 hp at the crank. This would be adequate, but certainly not a performer. I feel this would be under-powered in modern day traffic. However, the very low price reflects the power and components used.

Second is here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3024ct/overview/make/ford

Benefits here include a significant increase in power as well as much better components used in the build. This engine also has been Dyno tested meaning it was run on a machine to test power and durability after being rebuilt.

Third option is here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mll-bp3027ct/overview/make/ford

This is a higher horsepower engine built with higher performance parts and better quality components. I am as excited with the quality of parts as I am the horsepower number. This engine also has the benefit of aluminum heads. This allows a slightly higher compression and runs better on pump gas due to better heat dissipation. This equates to less tuning problems and no power loss due to reduced ignition timing. Aluminum heads also save a considerable amount of weight. This engine is also Dyno tested.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Purpose?
Once a month take it out for ice cream? Daily driver?* Sand drag racer? Rock crawler? Camping in the back country?

* And if so where?

OP
OP
Vicki

Vicki

Purpose?
Once a month take it out for ice cream? Daily driver?* Sand drag racer? Rock crawler? Camping in the back country?

* And if so where?

Good point, we're a nearing retirement couple in central FL going to local events ( not off road ) just reliving a bit of our past. We've already met a lot of folks with similar interest and many who just show appreciation with a thumbs up as they go by. Attending car show fundraisers for various causes such as Veterans Day and Toys for Tots has been fun.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Of those 3 choices, with what you describe, the first one. It is still more power then any Bronco came with from the factory. If properly geared for the tire size it will keep up with traffic just fine. It will parade and ice cream run just fine. Cruise at highway speeds without issue. Just a basic stock engine.

Do note that it is a later model engine. The balance is different so you will need a different crank damper and flywheel. Roller cam requires a different distributor gear. Stuff like that. Your old oil pan will fit just fine but the dipstick hole on the driver's side of the block will need to be plugged.

Hotrodjohn

I bought that first motor along with edlelbrock intake and a summit 500 cfm four barrel which is looks to be a copy of the ford 4100 four barrel. I haven't run it yet as I'm in the middle of a frame off but I think it will have plenty of power especially compared to any original 302 that came in a Bronco The late roller 302s had some of the best heads Ford made for the small windsors. As Broncobowsher mentions, you have to go to a 50 oz balancer and flywheel or flexplate. Blueprint has a good reputation and a really good warranty on their engines.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From what you described I would pick something like the 1st option as well. You can make it look completely stock too, if that is what your are after for car shows? Refurbished Valve Covers, Exhaust Manifolds and Factory Air Cleaner, et.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, as mentioned, some Bronco only parts like the oil pan and oil pickup tube must be re used.
Another issue with a stick shift tranny is the late blocks do not mount the pivot ball for the Z bar on the clutch pedal linkage.
Any good mechanic will know what to do to make the swap work.
I like the idea of using your original valve covers, etc for an original look, if that's how it is now.
Many engine shops would insist on a new radiator to insure proper cooling off your new engine. If the old radiator is not up to the task your new motor could overheat and void the warranty.
I would go with new belts and hoses, maybe a water pump, and you may need new motor mounts. These parts don't last forever. That and fresh tune up parts all add to the cost, so understand what is involved.
Good luck

OP
OP
Vicki

Vicki

Very helpful comments

Thanks for all the input. There is a lot to consider. We have a lot of new items like radiator, FiTech EFI, valve covers, water pump, etc.
I don't know about motor mounts but I'll be sure we get new ones.

This is an automatic 3 speed no overdrive. If we went for the big motor would that require a new trans?
It seems the mechanic thinks that's the way to go to add the most value to this build.
He says the job will take 15 hrs and a couple hundred bucks in supplies suggesting about $1,700 on top of the engine cost.
We expected to spend about $5K.

I'm worried about some of the other items mentioned up thread but our mechanic has rebuilt Bronco's in the past few years and is very familiar with ours also at this point.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, make sure the engine and tranny are compatible.
You Probably have the normal Small Block Ford bell housing. The mechanic will know.
I'm not an expert on the matching flex plate, there was a change in @ 1985, requiring a different balancer and matching flex plate.
Your old one might work if it is the correct style, but the mechanic should not assume so.
It sounds like you found a guy who likes this kind of work.
You may not automatically need new motor mounts, just something to check.
Good luck

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm not an expert on the matching flex plate, there was a change in @ 1985, requiring a different balance and matching flex plate.

Think it was 82 when it changed. The balance changed from 28 oz to 50 oz (351W stayed and has always been 28 oz). The newer 302 engines are 50 oz so a new 50 oz flex plate and balancer will be needed.

In fact, I don't think the old one will mount to the newer crank. You can send the old one to dampnerdudes and have to balanced to 50 oz.

Explorer front dress is the way to go IMO. Solves all the issues with the balancer (new flex plate will still be needed) and cools great.

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The wrong balance will bolt up. Lot of people have been burned by this. It fits, it will run, but you will have a vibration