• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help me choose a cam!

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Scored a 93 5.0 roller out of an F150. Don't know which heads yet, but suspect they are truck heads. Planning to use stock heads with a little massaging and a Holley 4180 carb off of an 85 stang.

Options:

Ford Racing B303
Explorer stock cam
Polish up and reuse stock cam
Aftermarket

Looking for improved low end torque with good driveability for a daily driver without breaking the bank.

Good sound is nice, but not as important as good performance.

Been reading and searching on here and everywhere, interested in all of your thoughts!

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I'm considering the Comp XE264HR-14/35-349-8. 515 lift and makes power from 1500-5500

Good for EFI but I'm not sure about with a carb. You will need upgraded springs if the heads are GT40/GT40P or the stock E7 heads.

Tim

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Tire size, gearing, transmission and its final drive ratio? How do you want to drive it? If you want to leave the engine stockish I would probably advance the cam and leave it at that. That should move the power band down about 400 RPM. If you want more than that it starts getting expensive. Ford has done extensive engineering and your not going to top that with out major changes.
I think your going backwards using the holley carb. Your best money spent will be sticking with fuel injection.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Tire size, gearing, transmission and its final drive ratio? How do you want to drive it? If you want to leave the engine stockish I would probably advance the cam and leave it at that. That should move the power band down about 400 RPM. If you want more than that it starts getting expensive. Ford has done extensive engineering and your not going to top that with out major changes.
I think your going backwards using the holley carb. Your best money spent will be sticking with fuel injection.

F150 engine though, intake is way too tall.

Either a Mustang or Explorer conversion or a TBI would be needed.

But I do agree.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
For now going with stock 3:50 gears with 31" tires and stock tranny. Daily driver plus trekking out in the nether regions several times a year (Big Bend country). Running explorer serp and planning on a/c for Texas road trips. No hardcore off reading until I upgrade gearing.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX

I thought the same thing about the carb, but after a bunch of research and also knowing that the F150 upper won't fit under the hood, the carb is a pretty good option. So degree the stock truck cam? How much?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I thought the same thing about the carb, but after a bunch of research and also knowing that the F150 upper won't fit under the hood, the carb is a pretty good option. So degree the stock truck cam? How much?

Don't rule out EFI because the truck upper will not work. I picked up a complete Explorer upper for $35. The scrap yards are full of Explores for the picking. Grab a complete upper, lower, ECU and harness and you're 90% to having EFI.

Or you could go throttle body EFI. FITech is what I'm looking at for my Mustang. Replaces the carb.

I'll be grabbing some heads (GT40P's) off a 2001 Mountianeer on Friday and I plan to grab the ECU and engine harness to have for future projects.

Tim

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Scored a 93 5.0 roller out of an F150. Don't know which heads yet, but suspect they are truck heads. Planning to use stock heads with a little massaging and a Holley 4180 carb off of an 85 stang.

Options:

Ford Racing B303
Explorer stock cam
Polish up and reuse stock cam
Aftermarket

Looking for improved low end torque with good driveability for a daily driver without breaking the bank.

Good sound is nice, but not as important as good performance.

Been reading and searching on here and everywhere, interested in all of your thoughts!

I can help you scratch one cam from your list right now. Explorer cam is same as truck roller cam in 5.0 and 5.8.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
On my stock 302 I advanced the cam 4 degrees at the crank. It brought the torque in 400 rpm ealier but it also runs out 400 rpm sooner. But with a more modern 5.0 you have a wider torque spread. It is wise to check valve clearence when the piston is at top on intake and exhaust stroke.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
Have you considered changing to rockers ? And leave the cam , 1.6 or 1.7 ratio. I have heard this beng done to get more lift Something to think about

frdboy

Contributor
Trying to stay on a budget.....I would go with a stock HO cam w/1.7 rockers

or this would be a good one also....

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1654&gid=254

With an aftermarket cam you will should replace the valve springs......the stock ones can barley handle the stock cam.

The problem woth E7 heads (stock) is getting a good valve spring on them....the installed heights are different on the int. and exh. and require different retainers to make an aftermarket spring work right......trick flow and crane make a kit with everything you need but it is $$$. I used the Crane kit on my 351W and it worked nice.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Trying to stay on a budget.....I would go with a stock HO cam w/1.7 rockers

or this would be a good one also....

http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=1654&gid=254

With an aftermarket cam you will should replace the valve springs......the stock ones can barley handle the stock cam.

The problem woth E7 heads (stock) is getting a good valve spring on them....the installed heights are different on the int. and exh. and require different retainers to make an aftermarket spring work right......trick flow and crane make a kit with everything you need but it is $$$. I used the Crane kit on my 351W and it worked nice.

P heads are the same way. You have to shim.

I'm getting this kit for my P's
http://www.alexsparts.com/valve-spr...lift-cams-high-output-drop-in-up-to-540-lift/

Tim

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Have you considered changing to rockers ? And leave the cam , 1.6 or 1.7 ratio. I have heard this beng done to get more lift Something to think about

I have read about switching to 1.7 on the Mustang forum. Sounds like a decent option, especially considering the price of cams.

OP
OP
cldonley

cldonley

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
On my stock 302 I advanced the cam 4 degrees at the crank. It brought the torque in 400 rpm ealier but it also runs out 400 rpm sooner. But with a more modern 5.0 you have a wider torque spread. It is wise to check valve clearence when the piston is at top on intake and exhaust stroke.

I was hoping to hear from someone who's done this. I'm gonna consider doing this and will do the valve clearance check.