• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HELP...PLEASE...Starting problems...updated with more ?s

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
Hey Guys...

Ran out of gas the other day...maybe tried to start it too much...added gas...no luck...starter sounds like it running, fan blade spinning, but definitely not turning over...positive lead at starter solenoid? is getting very hot...melting the shield...any ideas...

thanks

ed

Last edited:

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Well ... since there have been 30 views and nobody has stepped up ...

Have you checked for spark ?
I know you said you put gas in it but is it getting fuel to the carb ?

If you answer those two questions , you might get so more help .

howiebilt

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep... like Howiebilt says - check spark and fuel. An engine has to have fire, fuel, and air to run so now you just gotta figure out what you're lacking and go from there. Since all of your problems started when you "ran out of gas" I'd start with the fuel - maybe you didn't "run out" but the engine quit getting fuel.

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
I went through 3 mechanical fuel pumps in about as many months. One day it ran, the next it didn't. I think it was due to having some rust in my fuel tank and that stuff damaging the rubber diaphram in the pump itself.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Have the starter checked as if it messed up inside it will draw to meny amps and it will not start. It takes all the power and will get very hot also the starter can be draggin. Good luck.;D ;D ;D Bill %) :cool: ;D

Bronco Biff

Contributor
It's carburated, right? If this is what I found on an old, original configured carbuerated, mechanical fuel pump EB that I had run out of gas, I would then put about a teaspoon of gas down each throttle bore or starting fluid and try to start and see if the fuel pump would pick up prime enough to run again. If it has a stock V8 air cleaner on it, you could start with loosening the wing nut on the carb and slowly pouring the 2 teaspoons of gas around the stud in the little dent on the air cleaner lid. NO luck? Take the air cleaner off, look down the carb and push the throttle all the way open. You should see gas squirt out in both bores (front 2 if 4bbl). If not, no gas in the carb. A couple of tries with no luck, start looking at bad pump, clogged filter, or fouled carb from sucking the trash off the bottom of the tank. If it does not even try to fire with the gas added directly, start looking at ignition/timing issues.

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
I know its getting gas...pulled the line to the carb, placed it in water bottle, cranked it got 1/2 cup or so....can also smell the fuel when trying to turn over...starter is making noise as is it turning constant rrrr instead of rr rr rr rr like its trying to turn over...there was definitely a point while trying to start it (empty) that the sounds of starting changed...will check for spark...thanks for jumping on in guys...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Fan spinning shows the starter is engaging. Steady noise shows little compression. timing chain jump? I doubt it broke if the fuel pump is still pumping like you say.

check the basics first You may have fuel at the line, but how about the carb? cycle the throttle and see if the accelerator pump is giving a shot of fuel. If it squirts, consider the fuel system good enough (at least to start the engine)
Spark, pull a plug wire at the plug. I have fought problems with the coil wire/rotor more then once. Pulled the coil wire, got good spark, just was not making it to the plugs.
Third (the one I worry about) compression. Pull a plug, screw in a compression tester, crank it over. How bad is it?

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
checked for spark...have spark coming out of coil, but not at the plugs...have a petronix point replacement...could that be the issue..?..have old points, and will reinstall and check....

thanks for jumpin' in y'all...

old number 8

Loc.
NOT Seattle
If you have a tach or timing light, will either indicate RPM while cranking? An old trick is to hook the timing light to the coil wire and crank. You should get a good fast flash. Next, put the pick up on a plug wire, you should get a consistant flash, but slower than on the coil.

You say the RPM sound changed? Is the RPM still about the same as before, or does it sound like someone trying to start an old 6 volt vintage rig? Could be your starter or cables fried, so it can't crank fast enough to start.

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
starter rpm about the same...seems like its not "engaging" (i know that's not proper automotive terminology, just how it sounds)...sometimes does get the slow crank of an even older vehicle...going to try the old coil as well...leaning towards spark problem...is there a way to post a short video..?...waiting for battery to get a solid charge...then will continue with testing...thanks for all of the great ideas

ed

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
checked for spark...have spark coming out of coil, but not at the plugs...have a petronix point replacement...could that be the issue..?..have old points, and will reinstall and check....

thanks for jumpin' in y'all...

OK, you are narrowing it down. Something between the coil wire, rotor, cap and plug wires. I have seen a bad coil wire more then once (and on my own stuff as well).

jboomer

Loc.
Havelock, NC
starter rpm about the same...seems like its not "engaging"
ed

Is the starter just "buzzing" when you turn the key and every once in a while, when you turn the key the motor will turn over once or twice? If it is, that's funny because now mine's doing it. :mad: I've got my battery on a charger too.

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
it is buzzing, but not like when the bendix? isn't extending at all(not like a game show style buzz), sounds like its working, fan wheel spinning, so i guess it is working? only turning the engine over once in a while but never enough to start it...kinda like a cough and sometimes a real slow catch...my dad seems to think the starter solenoid is the problem and instructed my to bang it once with a hammer..?..to free up whatever may be stuck...still charging in the mean time...

thanks

ed

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
charged the battery...changed the starter solenoid, tried both coils and points, do get spark from coil when the coil is grounded (wire to dist from coil grounded to block), and ignition switch in off position (bypass ign switch at solenoid), don't get spark when ignition switch is in on position or trying to start from ignition switch...bad ignition switch.?. anybody ever change the "resistance" wire?? what do you think...any tests i could run.?.does anybody know if the accessory terminal on the ignition switch is the long post in the middle/back of the switch?

thanks y'all

ed

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
A bad ignition switch will allow the motor to turn over but the spark (at the plugs) will only appear when the switch is turned off for just an instant . Try bumping the ignition switch instead of just cranking on it and see what happens .

howiebilt

OP
OP
F

first_rodeo

Loc.
Cottage Grove, OR
Back at it...replaced the ign switch...still no love..or spark for that matter either...plug at switch looked fine...no evidence of a charred wire, etc...can i test the coil..?.any suggestions...

thanks

ed

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I am a little confused but it seems you went backwards now . If you don't have any spark at all , you should definitely test the coil .

howiebilt

cottage grove , where?