• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help! Starting issues.. IT'S ALIVE!!!!

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Yee-Haw!!!!!!! Man I can't thank you guys enough for the time y'all put into helping me with this issue. Now that I have a few minutes I'll give the long explanation of how things went. Me and my buddy busted our asses today finishing things up to get her trail worthy and we got all but the couple cosmetic issues done.

I swapped the dizzy first thing this morning. Pretty simple, but I had to use some emory cloth on the bottom end of the portion that seats into the block. I also had to turn the crank a little like Paul said to get the oil pump shaft and gear to align. Made sure everything worked out and the rotor went back to the position it was in when I pulled it. My buddy got there and we discovered that the carb may also be part of the problem. It's getting fuel, but we had to dump some in the carb to get it to fire up for the first time. Got her running and adjusted the the timing and idle and found a smooth idle for it. The next step was to cut down and install some exhaust as the open headers are loud as hell!

We then decided to take a little trip around the block and everything went fine. By the end of the 1 mile trip I decoided that without a doubt power steering and disc brakes will go on when I do the axle swap this summer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm pretty sure there's a issue with cylinder #3, which may be a stuck lifter. I'm gonna get some miracle oil and give that a shot.

After we got the motor running somewhat well we moved onto some other stuff. Fixed a leaky front output on the TC, installed the seats and a portion of the rollbar I have done at the moment. She's ready for some light stuff tomorrow, but I probably won't have it out that long because for some reason the battery isn't charging. Maybe the guys out at the trails can help me with that tomorrow.

Here's a link to the first drive (don't laugh, she still needs some work)
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h466/Nightstick180/f3be214a.mp4

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey, nobody's laughing at a Bronco that at least runs! Besides, we're all on our way over to your place to go camping and fix our rigs in your shop. If you wake up to go wheeling someday and find 30 Broncos and tents all over your lawn, you'll know we're all there just waitin' on ya so we can go wheeling!

have a fun weekend.

Paul

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
The yard is great till ya gotta mow it! Y'all are welcome any time, but I don't have anything fancy in there. I'd LOVE to get a lift, that'd be sweet! Thanks again!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hear ya. But hell, we'll bring the goats, and lots of us have "a righteous set of tools" too. We just need a bigger roof over our heads. Which is why your setup is jealous-worthy.
Besides, it's all really just a good excuse to get together, crawl around in the dirt under other people's rigs, and swap Bronco-stories.

Party at Nightstick's house!
Oh well, it's a good thought anyway. You all are pretty safe from the likes of me. I don't get out your way very often unfortunately.
Enjoy the running Bronco. If you want more seat time, figure out how to hang the mower attachment off the back of it, and drive!

Paul

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
If you want more seat time, figure out how to hang the mower attachment off the back of it, and drive!

I mowed the pasture thursday evening with my neighbors tractor. 72" brush hog and it still took me 2 hours to mow 2 acres (it was overgrown a smidge).

I didn't feel comfortable taking her on any trails today, but I drove it around on the roads around the park. Four wheel drive works fine, tranny shifts fine (now I know why they call it a gear banger, ya really gotta mean it when ya shift).

And then there was a little problem... After getting her running yesterday one of the rockers was tapping pretty loud. We tightened the culprit down, but it turns out too much because it wouldn't idle this morning. We loosened it up before going out and it ran okay for a little while, but after parking it for a for a few hours and hitting some trails we went back and when I drove it that time it began missing pretty bad. Drove it again when I got home and same thing. It smells like it's running pretty rich as well. I put some mystery oil in it, which will hopefully free up a stuck lifter if that's the problem.

Time to do some research on the cure for a miss. At least I think it's a miss, it stumbles pretty bad under load

P.S. I'll have a hood in a few weeks

Attachments

• Bridgeport2.jpg
    Bridgeport2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Bridgeport1.jpg
    Bridgeport1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: