• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holly Pro_Jection 2DI

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet if Holley would have designed it with some sort of idle air control (like a stock GM TBI system) it would have been alot better.--------Hans

Holley added the IAC and fixed everything else that was wrong with the ProJection systems (a long list) when they introduced the Commander systems. I understand why they never went back and did any more with the old Projection..but I don't understand why they still sell it.%) The ProJection had such a deserved bad rep..I would have expected them to drop it like a hot rock when the Commander came out quite a few years ago.

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Holley added the IAC and fixed everything else that was wrong with the ProJection systems (a long list) when they introduced the Commander systems. I understand why they never went back and did any more with the old Projection..but I don't understand why they still sell it.%) The ProJection had such a deserved bad rep..I would have expected them to drop it like a hot rock when the Commander came out quite a few years ago.

That's weird, my 4Di has an IAC! I wonder if this is another "let's lump them all together" statement?

I am not familliar with the 2Di system, but I do know the 4Di very well. I am also aware that there was a 4D system which was simmilar to the 4Di and I wonder if the 2D and 2Di are just the 2 injector versions of the 4D and 4Di.

Does your 2Di have a D9 plug on it? If it does you can probably find/get the program from someone that will allow you to monitor all of the system stuff live on a laptop.

Does it control ignition timing? This is one of the primary differences from the 4D to the 4Di.

The documentation on the 4Di Projection was OK, but I learned allot more from reading the documentation for the commander seris injection. The Commander TBI stuff seems to be based off of the 4DI, just with RT interaction and a few other improvments.

I just thought I'd throw this in in case if my 4Di experience is helpful in it's possible little 2Di brother.

Dan

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's weird, my 4Di has an IAC! I wonder if this is another "let's lump them all together" statement?...... The Commander TBI stuff seems to be based off of the 4DI, just with RT interaction and a few other improvments.

I just thought I'd throw this in in case if my 4Di experience is helpful in it's possible little 2Di brother.

Dan

That is all true. Holley's approach was to 'sneak up on' a decent system over time through incremental improvements (I remember when they first added the 'closed loop option to the early ProJection systems..)..eventually renaming the whole mess the 'Commander' series. From what I've been hearing..a new system is due out this spring that supersedes the Commander even.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's weird, my 4Di has an IAC! I wonder if this is another "let's lump them all together" statement?

I am not familliar with the 2Di system, but I do know the 4Di very well. I am also aware that there was a 4D system which was simmilar to the 4Di and I wonder if the 2D and 2Di are just the 2 injector versions of the 4D and 4Di.

Does your 2Di have a D9 plug on it? If it does you can probably find/get the program from someone that will allow you to monitor all of the system stuff live on a laptop.

Does it control ignition timing? This is one of the primary differences from the 4D to the 4Di.

The documentation on the 4Di Projection was OK, but I learned allot more from reading the documentation for the commander seris injection. The Commander TBI stuff seems to be based off of the 4DI, just with RT interaction and a few other improvments.

Dan

My 4DI (an early version) had IAC as well. GM style with stepper motor.
Never looked into if the 2DI is the same.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
well I had an injector guy look into the injectors and what we have here is the GM/Rochester 220 series..street cost is $35 each vs Holly's $250 per. This is all based around a visual at this time. They are 90pph per Holly and that is where the problem resides because they are rare for the outside sellers to get so I am having them check on the next available sizes above and below...which at this point seeing the amount of fuel dumping into a 302 gives me reason to want to play around with the next lower injector and at these prices, why not? What I want is a cleaned up stream and again, I have done no preliminaries, just building a base to start from. I have been at the fire station so I had no access to the truck or the directions and I will report back as I find this out.

Other option is to take it to Sacramento and let the FI God have his way with it..
Question? Those whom have the system, what tool did you use to check the volts to the TPS? I ask because I was talking to some old FI guys here into alcohol motors, Hilborns..all the cool stuff and they hate the newer tools..said to go find an old ohm meter..there comes a point you just say f@$k this mess with tools and testing and the like which I am not there yet by any form..I am just looking out onto the horizon, LOL... the journey is fun and amusing and the learning is invaluable... but all the old FI guys had nothing but bad words to say about the system..and as I found out there is absolutely no middle ground in love/hate for it..right now I am of no opinion because I have not given it a fair shot..too many variables that are untested and I am sorry that people are getting pissed with one another which is not the intent, the intent was to learn the positives, the negatives and the lessons learned and passed forward..nothing more/nothing less

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL..I didn't see anybody getting 'pissed' at anyone else. All I saw was what inevitably happens every time a discussion of the Projection systems shows up anywhwere..:cool:

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
I have been usig the 4Di program to read the voltage on the TPS thru my laptop.

That said it is true that the correct type of meter to use to see if your TPS has worn spots in it is an analog voltage meter. it allows you to see the little glitches in the TPS voltage that are sometimes masked by a digital voltage meter. A DVM is fine for setting up the voltage on the TPS though, it just may not show you the glitches that are the sign that a TPS is worn.

BMC, I like the sneak attack theory, it made me smile ;)

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
The 302 FI is a standard two injector setup, each inj is 50pph per my FI guys that sell them and they 'should' be a direct bolt in and electrical pulse. Also, they run at 12 psi which is interesting..seeing how Holly has bumped the psi to a 21psi nozzle.. headache is out on the horizon

electrodynamic

My 2 cents on Holley Projection

I posted this in another forum but I want to share in as many as possible.

I recently purchased a 73 Bronco and it is mint. I love almost everything about it except I haven't been driving it since I bought it.

Appears I have 2 problems. One looks like the neutrasl safety switch. Had a melt down of my 20 amp fusable link! Seems to happen only when I am playing with the shifter and driving. (automatic)

The second issue is the dam projection system. In theory it is cool but reality is that Holley is crap. why? Because they no longer support the 2 barrel set-up. I had a bad injector. Can't buy them anymore, so I ordered the replacement pod kit. It is the commander 950 not the projection EVEN though they advertise it as the correct one.
The main difference is the wire harness for the injectors. You can't get the proper one, instead they ship the 950 harness. I called Holley and they said they are not making it anymore and I would just have to splice in my old connector.
I could do this but I think they should at least be up front about what you are ordering.
In the end I found a couple marine injectors that are able to fit into my old system. Once they are dead I will be changing it out for something else.

Cheers

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That sucks. Welcome to the club though. In this case, both literally AND figuratively.
As in, welcome to the world of old vehicles that have been modified with questionable aftermarket stuff, and, welcome to classicbroncos too!

Did you try looking at a standard GM TBI replacement injector by any chance? i was under the impression that Holley was originally using that design for their Pro-Jection system.

Good luck with it.

Paul

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
Not to steal a thread but this sounds very similar to the AirSensors EFI I am currently working on. If anyone has any background let me in on it!

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
Just out of interest, what was the manufacturer and part number for the marine injector you found? I've been running a 4DI for about 12 years now and I'm sure at some point I will need to replace the injectors.

I wonder if someone somewhere has a list of non-holley part numbers for these things. Something that you could go to the auto parts store and but the parts over the counter. I seriously doubt that Holley had these parts made specifically for them.