• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Identifying a Lighning lowewr intake

marklc

Contributor
May have found a 5.8 lightning lower but it's about 3 hrs from me. Anyway to visually identify that it is a 5.8 Lightning lower before I make the trip? Casting number, height etc.? Anything that would distinguish it from another? I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. Thank you!

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i can take some pics of mine when i get home this evening. its not buttoned down and can do so easily if no one else chimes in sooner.

PM me contact info some time today if you havent gotten what you need by say 6pm EST.

cheers

Hank

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
Thanks Hank! I appreciate it. Hopefully someone will so you won't need to.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Staggered round ports. At this point you know you have a GT40/Cobra/Explorer/Lightening intake
Second is width, is it a 351 width intake? Or the narrow 302 width?
Should be cast aluminum, but there are some cast iron marine versions out there as well. Cast iron works, but is worth less.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
Broncobowsher thanks

Did a little research on widths.
302 roughly 9.5" 351 roughly 11.5. That sound about right?

Tonka7777

Loc.
Greenville
Pics of lightning lower

Here you go. Make sure you check the coolant ports for corrosion.

Attachments

• DSCN2520.jpg
    DSCN2520.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2526.jpg
    DSCN2526.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2525.jpg
    DSCN2525.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 62

shill37

An easy way to tell a 351 from a 302 is the 351 has 2 standalone upper intake mount bosses. A 302 will have only 1. If you look at the posted pics, the machined surface for the intake is all connected except for 2 standalone bosses. 1 on each end. A 302 will have a single mounting boss towards the distributor, the rear is connected with the machined surface. Make sense?

gtnorga

There are also two types of baffles too. the wide one you see above covering half of the rear of the intake and a smaller one that only covers the rear breather hole area. I sold a smaller baffled one awhile back and that was F2TE casting.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
I think they are still mated together so not sure if I'll be able to see that without disassembling but also good to know if they are apart. I'm starting to think they are off a 302 that would be my luck LOL.
Just starting to gather up stuff to put EFI 351 in Bronco this winter hopefully. got a 96 explorer 5.0 for donor.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The cast iron (marine) versions are cheaper. Found mine on CL near St. Louis $350 shipped to the door. If it was ever used in the water it wasn't long. Little to no rust. It was powder coated black and that took some doing to get off but once off I sprayed it with some duplicolor ceramic cast coat aluminum and it looks GOOOOD. Mine had the full baffle pictured above.

Tim

mattt

Bronco Guru
There are also two types of baffles too. the wide one you see above covering half of the rear of the intake and a smaller one that only covers the rear breather hole area. I sold a smaller baffled one awhile back and that was F2TE casting.

Yes, I've seen both as well. I think the large baffled one is the factory Lightning version and I believe the smaller baffle version is what was sold by Ford Motorsports division.

Amac70

ME
My ford motorsports version did not come with a baffle. It was new and unused when i got it. I used one off of a regular mustang lower (small baffle.)

mattt

Bronco Guru
Sounds like Motorsports offered different iterations over time. The small baffle one I have was from Motorsports according to who I got it from.

OP
OP
M

marklc

Contributor
Well I need another opinion . I found a lightning GT40 tubular upper with the lower. What would be considered a decent price for both? Don't want to insult the guy but as always would like to save as much as I can.
thanks

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have seen them on ebay for like $650. no idea if they sold for that. lower alone is usually 300-400 from what i have seen. you could get lucky of course.

Hank