• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In general, NOS value versus Re-pop

tbruz

Contributor
I realize that the value of a NOS part is "whatever the purist restorer/ buyer is willing to pay" but I have to ask to anyways....
With the introduction/availability of so many re-pop parts, specifically chrome grill surround trim, window trim and rocker molding trim; what is the premium one would expect to pay for genuine FORD NOS?

I appreciate that rarity and availability drive the market; but I'm asking specifically for the premium value of a part available aftermarket as a re-pop VERSUS a Genuine FORD NOS part.

i.e a re-pop rocker chrome trim kit set can be purchased for approximately $250 shipped from any of the big vendors.
What would a Genuine NOS kits be valued at?

Repop hubcap sets are $600
Any premium to NOS ones?

I don't see it being the exact same $$ as a re-pop parts, but is a 2X to 3X premium reasonable?

Thanks in advance.
Tbbruz

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
It varies depending on the part and quality of the repo. I asked the same question to a few long time Bronco guys. 50% more seemed to be a common answer, 100 repro and 150 nos. Most probably don't care about a nos wheel stud or bracket. Things like body panel and trim I would think get a lot more interest.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I realize that the value of a NOS part is "whatever the purist restorer/ buyer is willing to pay" but I have to ask to anyways....
With the introduction/availability of so many re-pop parts, specifically chrome grill surround trim, window trim and rocker molding trim; what is the premium one would expect to pay for genuine FORD NOS?

I appreciate that rarity and availability drive the market; but I'm asking specifically for the premium value of a part available aftermarket as a re-pop VERSUS a Genuine FORD NOS part.

i.e a re-pop rocker chrome trim kit set can be purchased for approximately $250 shipped from any of the big vendors.
What would a Genuine NOS kits be valued at?

Repop hubcap sets are $600
Any premium to NOS ones?

I don't see it being the exact same $$ as a re-pop parts, but is a 2X to 3X premium reasonable?

Thanks in advance.
Tbbruz
What year Bronco?? The '66 had arguably more "unique" features...the '77 in the same boat. But in between??...shoot ...all same as fare as I've seen in my owning 11 EBs..

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
It varies depending on the part and quality of the repo. I asked the same question to a few long time Bronco guys. 50% more seemed to be a common answer, 100 repro and 150 nos. Most probably don't care about a nos wheel stud or bracket. Things like body panel and trim I would think get a lot more interest.

Agreed. A reproduction that's just as good as NOS is going to bring more than a poorly done and/or inaccurate reproduction.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With the quality of repro parts being questionable sometimes, the premium would be anywhere from the 50% already mentioned, to upward of 400% depending on how much concern there was about the part being "good enough" or a part of the type that might leave you stranded at the worst possible moment.
And of course on how rare of a part it is to begin with.

Since an NOS front fender may not fit any better than a repro, and if you don't really need the bragging rights of a Ford logo on the box, the premium would be minimal in my mind. A Ford factory NOS starter relay on the other hand, might be well worth a 300% markup over an all new part at the store.
Outside marker lights? Maybe more than 200% just because they'll last longer than aftermarket plastic stuff and are an obvious part that has a Ford logo where the aftermarket stuff does not. And being visible like that, also gives some valuable feel-good feelings for having "original" stuff.

Or a variation on that theme...

Paul

chuddy

For reference, I sold a set of 4 NOS hubcaps (not 1966) last year for $900. They did not have boxes, a few had some VERY small dings, but they were new. I figured repro ones were $600/set, so $900 was fair. I wouldn't say they sold immediately, so I think my price was reasonable.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yeah, there is nothing like NOS. There are some good reproduction items out there, but far more of them fall short. Sure, they can go on and fool most into believing that it's a better car because everything is NEW, but when compared to original parts, it's a very different value.

Regarding the rocker trim - I believe those are from the Ford tooling. Some of that kind of reproduction stuff is pretty good, but I'd still buy NOS if I was restoring a truck that needed them, even if they were 2x cost of repro. But if restoring for a driver maybe one would choose to pick the repro part...... up to the end buyer at that point.

1buckeyefan1

I'm sure a large factor is the amount of time/effort you can save by using NOS vs. repop? Ie, if you need to drill out a fender and reweld, when a NOS might fit better.. obviously carries a benefit. But I'm sure the rest is the quality and longevity of the part. Lastly would probably be nostalgia.

But as others have mentioned, it's highly subjective for the person and the part.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I'm sure a large factor is the amount of time/effort you can save by using NOS vs. repop? Ie, if you need to drill out a fender and reweld, when a NOS might fit better.. obviously carries a benefit. But I'm sure the rest is the quality and longevity of the part. Lastly would probably be nostalgia.

But as others have mentioned, it's highly subjective for the person and the part.

totally agree..