• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Initial shim pack for Dana 44 ARB

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
So I run into a bit of a mathematical challenge. I'm installing an ARB in my Dana 44. I'm also going from 350 gears to 410 gears, and using the ARB designed for the 410 gears.
When I look at the ARB manual, none of the A-C=B measurements make any sense because I'm going from a thick ring gear to a thin ring gear with the appropriate ARB for the thin ring gear (which is what was recommended by wild horses).
So short of doing it over and over a million times until I get it right, does anybody have some guidance?

Thx,
JB

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Start with what you took out of the 3.50 gears. The housing probably has the most variable machining of all the parts you are mixing together.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Problem is the 350 is a "thick" ring gear and the 410 is a "thin" one, so the shims don't match up at all. I am using the ARB 392 and up carrier for the thin gears.
Start with what you took out of the 3.50 gears. The housing probably has the most variable machining of all the parts you are mixing together

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You got to start somewhere. I would do what Broncobowsher suggested and see what happens.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
The OEM chassis manual has a specification for what to start with if you don't have a carrier or shim pack to use as a starting point.
After that I'll check the gear contact with white lithium grease and see if is running in the right place.
I guess I'll just have to do it several times until I get it right.
Thanks for the replies.
-JB

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You had 3.50 gears matched to a 3.50 carrier, going to 4.10 gears matched to a 4.10 carrier. The thick/thin are self canceling at this point.

If both pinions are scribed with there variation from nominal you can use that to get a really close pinion depth starting point. If not, just drop in the old shim pack and start there as well.

The first locker I installed, I dropped it in with the stock shim pack that came out of it. Checked setup, it was right. Didn't have to change a thing.

Think of it this way, the stock shim pack once worked with that housing. At this point you only need to make minor adjustments for the gears. You are starting with something as compared to starting with a blank slate.