• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Junkyard Heads

bighorn

I've got a stock 76 302 that needs to be wakened up. Any good junkyard heads that I should look for to swap out the low compression smog heads?

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
Yes DOOE heads have bigger valves but you will need bushings so you can use your 302 head bolts, I don't know what your smog laws are so be sure to check because those are non smog heads, Joe.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hard to say theres not really anything all that much better those so called smog heads you have are pretty much the same as the rest of the heads availible while early 351W heads do have slightly larger valves they wont raise the compression ratio. Most of the early 289 heads will raise the comp ratio but by the time you get them rebuilt and hardened exhuast seats installed you could almost buy aftermarket heads. I'd get your heads rebuilt and get RV type cam thats suited to your needs that will make more differance than any junkyard head will. If you have a stock engine with a stock timing gear set just putting a good timing chain set on can wake up a 302 as the factory put retarded gear sets in for emissions.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have a set of e7s on my new engine i have 350 (not counting the roller rockers) dollars plus in them and they were pretty much given to me they are gasket match ported and new seals and re-seated valves aftermarket heads are a good value if that is what you want but like broncoaz said

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
I put some old 1962 260 heads on a windsor once and got real good compression out of it. ;D

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
nyles yeah i am alive and so is my bronco i am still working out bugs but i am up and running again