• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mass Confusion Build. After 2 1/2 years It started!!

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Thanks Dave, I will check this out when I get home tonight.c

EDIT: Ignition switch problem is fixed. I had installed the starter solenoid upside down so when I re-attached the wires they were reversed. (Sigh)

Last edited:
OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Has been a month since the last post, and after BYOB, kind of lit the fire back up, so back to work I went as soon as I got home. I cut the clutch hole in the floor board for the clutch rod. Upon trying to hook it up and remembering the one inch body lift, (and after peeling the top of my thumb off from the snap back of the clutch linkage) I fabbed up an extension. Installed the steering column, have some more small details to work out. So I have the gas, brakes, and clutch pedals hooked up. Tomorrow will try to get the emergency brake all set.

Attachments

• DSCF0771.jpg
    DSCF0771.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0773.jpg
    DSCF0773.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 88

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
want to see it soon....maybe another road trip

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
E brake was a no-go. Had to mow the backyard, was starting to look pretty scary. Found a pack of Japanese back there that didn't know the war was over. And then it was off to the park with the kids, out to dinner, back home, bedtime.

How does next weekend sound?

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Sha Bam, I'm back on it.
This week was fuel delivery. Well there was none. New fuel pump in good to go now the carb is leakin' like a little kid on the side of the road. Bought a rebuild kit, but think that may be over ambitious as I have never done this before. That may get farmed out, don't know yet.

I stripped out the doors so I can get them in primer. Was just going to tape them up and shoot them, but decided against that.

Tonight was shifter cover night. So i got out the left over stock and started cuttin' and bendin'. Don't know how I am going to handle the carpet. Don't really want to cut a gaping hole for the shifter but just may have to.

Also put in the carpet and cut some of the beginnings of what needs to happen as far as shifters, clutch rod, and light dimmer. Put in the Mustang seats. I really like them but they are going to need to be recovered. Thinking I just may go back to the stock seats and get the recovering kits for them.

Attachments

• DSCF0802.jpg
    DSCF0802.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0800.jpg
    DSCF0800.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0799.jpg
    DSCF0799.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0795.jpg
    DSCF0795.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0791.jpg
    DSCF0791.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0790.jpg
    DSCF0790.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0789.jpg
    DSCF0789.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0787.jpg
    DSCF0787.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0803.jpg
    DSCF0803.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0808.jpg
    DSCF0808.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 81

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Re: Mass Confusion Build.

Who's carpet kit did you get? Does it fit nice and tight?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Who's carpet kit did you get? Does it fit nice and tight?

I went with ACC basic 80/20 loop carpet. Got it from Stock Interiors from South Caroline. It was 270 delivered. It's hard to say about the fit right now. So far no glaring issues. There is about a 1/2 inch of gap on the passenger side but it is just laying in there. I haven't permanently affixed it to the floor. I bought industrial hook and loop velcro to attach to it so I can tighten it up and also have some aluminum hold down strips I am going to use. They are about an inch wide so they can cover any mistakes that I am bound to make. There will be a lot of cutting away on the wheel well covers as they give you more carpet than you actually need. This is good I guess, and am very happy with the quality.

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
You know your close when the carpets in.:cool: Lookin good Bro.

Thanks Dave. This is an illusion as it's not permanent yet. I was cutting the carpet for the shifter/dimmer/clutch rod. Does make me feel like I am getting closer. My punchlist is getting smaller. ;D

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Got to work on the fenders and grill. They had stress fractures that I welded up and smoothed out with with some thin bondo. Attached the hood. Man this thing must have at least 1/16 inch of paint on it. Going to probably chemically strip it down the road. Was just checking fitment. So far so good, or should I say "tolerable".

Got a little help from my Bronco buddy.

Attachments

• DSCF0821.jpg
    DSCF0821.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF0820.jpg
    DSCF0820.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0817.jpg
    DSCF0817.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0819.jpg
    DSCF0819.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0816.jpg
    DSCF0816.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0812.jpg
    DSCF0812.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 63

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Re: Mass Confusion Build.

I went with ACC basic 80/20 loop carpet. Got it from Stock Interiors from South Caroline. It was 270 delivered. It's hard to say about the fit right now. So far no glaring issues. There is about a 1/2 inch of gap on the passenger side but it is just laying in there. I haven't permanently affixed it to the floor. I bought industrial hook and loop velcro to attach to it so I can tighten it up and also have some aluminum hold down strips I am going to use. They are about an inch wide so they can cover any mistakes that I am bound to make. There will be a lot of cutting away on the wheel well covers as they give you more carpet than you actually need. This is good I guess, and am very happy with the quality.

Thanks. Look forward to the finished result.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Got to work on the fenders and grill. They had stress fractures that I welded up and smoothed out with with some thin bondo. Attached the hood. Man this thing must have at least 1/16 inch of paint on it. Going to probably chemically strip it down the road. Was just checking fitment. So far so good, or should I say "tolerable".

Got a little help from my Bronco buddy.

From pic 4 it looks like your having trouble getting rid of the previous color
scheme?;D

Unless you plan to go back to it:cool:

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
From pic 4 it looks like your having trouble getting rid of the previous color
scheme?;D

Unless you plan to go back to it:cool:
Ohhh, now I get it. Took me a few minutes. You're talking about the (ahem) "camo". Got half way through the bumber and decided to lift the chromies off the red 71. I think I am going to keep it that way just to remind me how far I have come.

Yeah, that hood is going down to the metal. It's got waaaay to much paint on it.

Wanna hear something funny? The original color of the hood and fenders are the same color. Kind of dark aqua green. The fenders came from Tasker, and the hood came from a local guy. Almost tempted to find out what it is. Starting to question my paint color choice. Damn you BYOB!

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Had a little set back, but it actually turned into a positive.

Guess the carb had set so long, the gaskets and rubber was leaky. Didn't catch it in time, and while turning over the motor the ensuing backfire started a real fire. Got out the fire extinquisher, paused a second (there was no air filter on, just an open carb) thought "this is going to get messy" and it did. Fire was out, but fire suppressant was everywhere. Then I thought, this would be a good time to rebuild the carb. After digging into it I am glad that I bit the bullet, because it was in rough shape all the way around. All that powder didn't help either. But now it's completely cleaned right down to the jets, venturi, etc with new gaskets and rubber. All rinsed down and blown out and hopefully good to go.

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
at least the rebuild should give you peace of mind, one less thing to think about. reminds me I have to do the one on my 302, it has started dripping. also had something similar happened on my straight six, got it running and saw the gas pouring all over the exhaust manifold. shut it off before anything bad happened.

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
at least the rebuild should give you peace of mind, one less thing to think about. reminds me I have to do the one on my 302, it has started dripping. also had something similar happened on my straight six, got it running and saw the gas pouring all over the exhaust manifold. shut it off before anything bad happened.

Mine was dripping around the umbrella gasket thingy in the front. That's what caused the fire. :(