• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mass Confusion Build. After 2 1/2 years It started!!

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Nothing earth shattering going on with the build, but just wanted my 1000th post to go into my build thread.

I have been working on the MC a little. Working out of our business office now has really put the brakes on the project.

I am fitting the dash in, as well as still smoothing out the fenders I got from Tasker. It's been too cold to do anything, even with heat in the garage. The garage heats up so fast that it puts a little bit of condensation on the cold metal so no body work can get done. I am convinced that spring has forgotten about us! As soon as it warms up I will fire up the thread again.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
i'm sure the foot of snow you just got did not help!

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Nothing earth shattering going on with the build, but just wanted my 1000th post to go into my build thread.

I have been working on the MC a little. Working out of our business office now has really put the brakes on the project.

I am fitting the dash in, as well as still smoothing out the fenders I got from Tasker. It's been too cold to do anything, even with heat in the garage. The garage heats up so fast that it puts a little bit of condensation on the cold metal so no body work can get done. I am convinced that spring has forgotten about us! As soon as it warms up I will fire up the thread again.

I'm with ya on the cold. Have to run the heat for hours to get everything like tools and such up to temp. The older you get the more you will hate it.

The warmth will be here before you know it:cool:.....then the cold shall follow it once again.:(

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I'm with ya on the cold. Have to run the heat for hours to get everything like tools and such up to temp. The older you get the more you will hate it.

The warmth will be here before you know it:cool:.....then the cold shall follow it once again.:(

Yeah, that ground hog was way off this year!

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Just so there wouldn't be a page without some pics of the project I will post up what little I got accomplished this weekend.

Spent most of my time looking for my holesaw bit driver to punch a hole for the clutch rod. That will have to wait for now until I can locate. Went ahead and installed the dash so I could see how the fitment is holding up. (oooo nice!) Then for giggles I put on the dash pad and installed the speedo. The fire has been officially lit. ;D

Attachments

• DSC_1817.jpg
    DSC_1817.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_1818.jpg
    DSC_1818.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_1821.jpg
    DSC_1821.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 75

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Don't see a dash with the radio delete or uncut that often. Lookin good.

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Don't see a dash with the radio delete or uncut that often. Lookin good.

That's courtesy of a chicken farmer who apparently didn't care for the tunes, or news. It was getting in pretty rough shape I think I saved it just in time. I will try to dig up a pic before the paint. That's why I am keeping it that way. Probably going to put the tunes in a center column soon to be fabbed. Stay tuned. :cool:

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Found it. Look at the rust on the drivers side. It was pretty rough over there.

Attachments

• 100_2788.jpg
    100_2788.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I got some more work done today. The pictures don't show much advancement, but it was a lot of work hooking up the dash switches. Also hooked up the gauges. I also had to cut away the windshield wiper motor ends because the ends were trashed. I used an extra set I found in the tub o' parts, soldered them together/heatshrink...good to go.

Also found an old gas pedal that still had it's bushings and brackets. So I robbed it of them and re-purposed them for the gas pedal.

I also think I may need a new starter solenoid as when I turn the key to "on" it clatters like a sewing machine. Not in the ignition position, but the "on position. Anybody know what I did wrong? Maybe something in the wiring. Everything is run where it is supposed to be, except the steering wheel connector isn't connected, as I don't have the steering wheel in yet. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 102_3125.jpg
    102_3125.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 102_3127.jpg
    102_3127.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 56

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Keep goin "D". Your gettin there.

What does it do in the start position? Just put a raw 12v on the solenoid (out of the circuit) and see if its switching properly.

You may have a miss connection in the wiring between the ignition switch and the coil. Were all the connections put back on the switch the same? Also confirm the starter is well grounded to the chassis.

http://seabiscuit68.tripod.com/images/68-71ignition-color.gif

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Keep goin "D". Your gettin there.

What does it do in the start position? Just put a raw 12v on the solenoid (out of the circuit) and see if its switching properly.

You may have a miss connection in the wiring between the ignition switch and the coil. Were all the connections put back on the switch the same? Also confirm the starter is well grounded to the chassis.

http://seabiscuit68.tripod.com/images/68-71ignition-color.gif

I did some research, thought the fused link was bad, so bought another one. I think one of my problems is that I don't have the ignition switch set properly. So the on position is actually the start position, maybe. Just weird that it clicks in the on position. I am going to take out the switch and reinstall it.

The ground goes to the wheel well, then to the motor. This should be good enough right?

How do you test the solenoid. I put it on the big terminals on each side correct? It should only click once? Let me know what I am missing.

Oh, none of my other electrics seem to work. No lights or gauges. All fuses are good.

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
I am going thru exactly the same thing you have in front of you. Just posted some pics to my gallery tonite. Don't fret. Do it right one time, and you will have something!

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Alright, getting there. Visited the ignition switch problem again.

1. The battery didn't have enough juice to crank over, put it on the charger.
2. Pulled the ignition to see what is going on.

There's good news and bad news.
First the good news. The oil pump works great! How do I know? When I pulled the ignition switch (with the battery now apparently fully charged) the engine started cranking and squirting oil on my garage floor. (I didn't have an oil filter on.) Scrambling for a screwdriver got it turned off. Yep disconnect that battery, learned my lesson. Thank god it was in neutral.

The bad news. I think my ignition switch is kablewy. I have a couple other ones I can try, but not looking forward to it as it was hard to get it installed in the first place. The engine would crank when I flipped the ignition in to ACC, nothing in the off position, nothing in the start position. On position would crank the engine. Again any suggestions?

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
To the best of the info i have, on the back of the ignition switch you should have the following:

-Red/blue stripe on "S" (from small left post on starter solenoid).
-Pink (resistive wire) and green/red stripe on "C" (from ignition coil + and small right
post on starter solenoid).
-Yellow on "B" (12V non-switched)
-Black/green-stripe on "A" (From fuse block).