• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mass Confusion Build. After 2 1/2 years It started!!

Mike Hewett

Another thought...if you havent already, put your dash in position. Seems like I had about a 1/2" between the dash end and door post/kick panel

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input. I haven't tacked anything down yet. I only can go by what was left on the truck before and that wasn't much!

I did fit the door on when installing the post. I know the DS post is in good position. I am a little fuzzy on the exact placement of that cowl piece. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of where your cowl and door post meet would you? I have nothing to go by. I was thinking the same thing about putting the dash in to get placement. I really need to get that other kick panel in, so I can get things a placed better. Thanks again.

Edit: After some extensive searching, found the right placement for the window cowl. See above pic.

Last edited:

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
Thanks for the input. I haven't tacked anything down yet. I only can go by what was left on the truck before and that wasn't much!

I did fit the door on when installing the post. I know the DS post is in good position. I am a little fuzzy on the exact placement of that cowl piece. You wouldn't happen to have any pics of where your cowl and door post meet would you? I have nothing to go by. I was thinking the same thing about putting the dash in to get placement. I really need to get that other kick panel in, so I can get things a placed better. Thanks again.

Edit: After some extensive searching, found the right placement for the window cowl. See above pic.

I'd recomend verifying the cowl against the radiator core support as well as the door openings. I've been figting mine a bit because I had the whole front clip off when I did my cowl. Got it off about 1/4"... Good bit of work to get it back where it belongs.. Naturally, I cant find the diagram on my new computer, but a quick search for front clip measurements should find it for you..

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Today went out and refitted the window frame cowl. As per Mike's advice, I put in the dash and everything seemed to line up with no glaring issues. HGM, if you find those measurements to front core support, let me know what they are! I had them laying around and in my zeal to keep my garage clean have been relocated to a location of unknown-ness.%) I marked some stuff off for repositioning it later. Also tweaked my DIY DS kick panel so the cowl frame will sit flush with the door post.

I am really at a stand still now for measuring and fitment until I get that PS kick cut out. So I drew it out and did some metal management so my dwindling stock will get me another floor pan, and the top of the firewall section.

I also called around today to find somebody that can roll a trough in my floor pans. Nobody has called me back, so they just may stay flat.

Attachments

• 100_2609.jpg
    100_2609.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_2607.jpg
    100_2607.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_2606.jpg
    100_2606.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 56

BDAZSVT

Here is my hinge post.
IMG_20110925_114409.jpg

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I cut out my PS kick panel. I never cease to amaze myself on my lack of accurate measuring. Everything went good until I discovered I had over measured an inch where the post meets the kick on the door seal. Don't know how that happened but it did. Lopped it off so I was good to go.

Ok, so let the fun begin.

Trying to line up the panels. What PITA. Don't know what I did wrong but there is a HUGE gap on the PS where grill and quarter meet. It looks as though the radiator support is too wide.

Thought maybe it was the fiberglass quarter was molded wrong or had warped somehow. So I got out the original and had the same issue. Drivers side is lining up pretty good. I can't seem to get that PS sucked in because the support is too wide? I double checked the original support to make sure that I attached the inner fenders correctly. They were spot on with the original.
Decided to put the hood on to see how things would line up with the lower window cowl. Maybe shed some light on the problem. I measured from the cowl to the hood spring and was about 3/4 inch off. Looks like I need to push the radiator support back. This may solve the grill being too far forward, but it is now not in the same position as the original that I have. Thankfully, I haven't welded anything so this is easily adjusted.I don't know if this will help with the PS gap. I am open to suggestions or ideas.

Attachments

• 100_2614.jpg
    100_2614.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_2616.jpg
    100_2616.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_2615.jpg
    100_2615.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_2613.jpg
    100_2613.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 100_2611.jpg
    100_2611.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_2610.jpg
    100_2610.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 80

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
HGM, if you find those measurements to front core support, let me know what they are!.

Had to look for them a bit, but here's the best I've been able to come up with. Not perfect, but it will give you a good idea.. Also, in the Bronco Graveyard catalog, they've got a couple of decent measurement diagrams in there.

Attachments

• tub measurements.jpg
    tub measurements.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 415
  • Clip%20measurements.jpg
    Clip%20measurements.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I finally cut out my lower cowl panels to make way for the replacements.

Ok, this was driving me crazy with front fenders not lining up with the grill. :mad:

I took the measurements HGM gave me and got them to correct spec. Then put the fenders on and back to square one.

Found two problems. My PS is leaning a little. The second more disturbing problem was unexpected.

After pulling the panels back and forth, getting them to exact specs, then putting on the fenders to check the fit, it would all go out of whack. Then it occurred to me, that I never checked the new radiator support see actually how wide it is. I measured it and it came in at 57 1/2 inches. I went to my original and measured it. Low and behold, it came in at 57 inches. That explains the 1/2 offset on the PS. So now I have to shave 1/4 inch off of each side of the radiator support. At least now I know what the problem is. Man what a relief! It was absolutely driving me bonkers. :p I guess the moral of the story is, make sure you check the measurements on your replacement parts!

Edit: Turns out that since I was bending the tape measure to get the measurement of the already placed support, it only looked like 57 1/2. It was actually the same width as the original.

Attachments

• 100_2676.jpg
    100_2676.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_2677.jpg
    100_2677.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_2672.jpg
    100_2672.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

HGM

Loc.
Senoia, Ga.
After pulling the panels back and forth, getting them to exact specs, then putting on the fenders to check the fit, it would all go out of whack. Then it occurred to me, that I never checked the new radiator support see actually how wide it is. I measured it and it came in at 57 1/2 inches. I went to my original and measured it. Low and behold, it came in at 57 inches. That explains the 1/2 offset on the PS. So now I have to shave 1/4 inch off of each side of the radiator support. At least now I know what the problem is. Man what a relief! It was absolutely driving me bonkers. :p I guess the moral of the story is, make sure you check the measurements on your replacement parts!

I know the feeling well.. That's the same type of thing I ran into while building my front clip.. Part of the reason I moved to the rear for a change in scenery.. Glad it all worked out!!

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
OOOOk. Think I found one of the reasons this fender/grill gap thing is baffling me. I have screwed the radiator supports to the inner fenders. The screw heads are preventing the fender from sucking up to the inner fenders like it is supposed to. Will remove the screws soon and weld to fix this (uhhemm) error. Should help the problem a little bit.%)

Cut out the lower cowl from the last of the sheet metal stock I have. I decided to cut the four feet section in half so I could use my brake that restricts me to 30 inches or less. I zig zagged the cut. Heard that it is stronger this way when I reattach them.

Also decided to take the dimples from the old section, cut them out and tack them to the underneath for strength. Seemed to work pretty good. While cutting them out, had a first...Frickin' cutting wheel tried to eat my cowl! I still don't know how this happened just glad I didn't lose an eye (had the eye protection on) and had a good grip on the grinder.

Then I set out to attach the panel to the firewall. Also I am ditching the underhood intakes so I built a filler for that area. I think after this, the body comes back off and I am full steam ahead for the reassembly, and mechanics.

Attachments

• 100_2699.jpg
    100_2699.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_2696.jpg
    100_2696.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_2695.jpg
    100_2695.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_2692.jpg
    100_2692.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_2691.jpg
    100_2691.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_2686.jpg
    100_2686.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_2685.jpg
    100_2685.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_2684.jpg
    100_2684.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_2700.jpg
    100_2700.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_2701.jpg
    100_2701.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 110

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
That first pic is scary. My cowl area will need all that same treatment at some point. I'll know who to call for help.;D

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
That first pic is scary. My cowl area will need all that same treatment at some point. I'll know who to call for help.;D

I know, kinda freaked me out. Was a DeWalt disc, not my cheap Chinese backup discs, of which I am now using. Must have caught it just right. Really, I want to get up there, just my wife works Saturdays and I have four young sons. Someday I will get up there. I will bring the brake and my cutting wheels, all I need is 18 gauge stock and we are all set!

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Really, I want to get up there, just my wife works Saturdays and I have four young sons. Someday I will get up there. I will bring the brake and my cutting wheels, all I need is 18 gauge stock and we are all set!

We'll have to wait until the warmer weather returns and your not so busy. Sucks that I'm pretty much at a stand still untill it returns anyway.

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I hear ya. May be starting a new job come March (in addition to my old one). But we will hook up some weekend.

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I am having a ton of alignment issues. Due in part of my DIY panels, old parts from another truck and a tired body, so I decided to put the body together as much as I can so everything is aligned before I take the welder to it and make it solid. I even put the top back on to see how the new windshield frame would line up. As you can see from the pics I have alot of issues that need to be addressed so it will look top notch.

The doors, (they're killin' me) need new pins in the hinges as they are sagging beyond what's acceptable. Scraping the bejeesits out of my rockers, they need to be refreshed. Front grill alignment I think will be solved when I tighten up the inner fender to the radiator support.

The extra rust free door Russ included in the sale had a big ol' dent in it and was pushed out on the bottom, so now I know why he included a fifth door. That's right, this EB came with three extra doors, and looks like I'm going to need them all.

Any advice or tips to make this better are appreciated!

I pulled it out of the garage so I could turn it around to put the cap back on. Left it in the driveway and the wife saw it for the first time looking like something that could be driven. Her reaction was "Wow, that's lookin' cool, when will it be ready?" This is a good sign to get another.

:)

Attachments

• 100_2709.jpg
    100_2709.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_2708.jpg
    100_2708.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_2707.jpg
    100_2707.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_2706.jpg