• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

migs' build thread - A 1970 Bronco ...an ever evolving project

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
just premade shock hoops this time around.

as for the transfer case, it's getting a teralow gear set and an extreme duty output assembly.
Can you send me a link to the setup you are going to run? What transmission setup are you running?

Last edited:
OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
well, maybe I'll make some extras then.

for now, a little more done. blasted and painted the front shock hoops... so hopefully this weekend I'll be able to finish up the welding of everything on the frame.

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 61
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hoops look good, did they come off of another rig or are those migs originals?

they are used hoops. was planning to build my own mounts but if I keep making new parts I'll never get this on the road!;D

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Front shock hoops installed. just about ready now to finally start putting this thing back together.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 115
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 89
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 90
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 83
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 88

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Still fighting that spellcheck huh, Pete? Bet you're right, he's making a new frame (Migs Skunkworks). Lookin' good B!

OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I started assembling the transfer case tonight, installed the new seals along with the shiftrails, shift forks and front and rear low gears. then when installing all those needle bearings in the cluster gear(machined a nice little tube to aid in this) I ran into some issues.
first, the three new spacer washers are too big to fit inside. so, compared them to the old ones and noticed they looked hardened. Hmm, checked with a file and sure enough, they are. well, the new ones are not. the old ones still look good so in they went.
so now I pull out the new cluster gear shaft include in this kit as well. first off I notice the tiny o-ring groove and the much fatter supplied o-ring. that ain't gonna work! so figure I better check it out some more. so I test it with a file and sure, it's hard I guess, but no where near as hard as the original I pulled out. and looking at the surface closer it kind of has a rough centerless ground appearance to it, not a nice perfectly smooth finish. so I checked the original with a micrometer and there's really no sign of wear so I'm thinking I'll just run that.
hopefully I don't have anymore issues when I go to button the rest up.

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 72
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 77
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 70
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 77
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 80

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I had the exact issue when I rebuilt mine. I used the stock parts because they looked like they were in good condition. I never got around to calling the vendor. Your build is looking good.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Just goes to show the drop in quality over the years. Good decision making.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
Just goes to show the drop in quality over the years. Good decision making.

Problem is that we are still paying for quality. What happens when you don't have good used parts to reinstall? Granted, Migs, you are the exception here as you can make them. Us BONES folks are lucky to have you close by B. You are unbelivably talented!

Last edited:
OP
OP
migs

migs

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Picking away at things here and there when I can...
started on the last bit of rust repair for this one, a small area on the drivers quarter panel behind the door. flares would make it way easier...:cool:;D

also, finished the assembly of the transfer case, I think it looks a little better now than the before shot.

Attachments

• photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 108
  • photo55.jpg
    photo55.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 112
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 97
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg