• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

More HP from 302??

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Anything you do to that engine needs to be a package deal to get the most of any upgrade.

Adding a 4 bbl and intake is only part of the equation. Cam and heads need to work to get air in and out to take advantage of the 4 bbl and intake upgrades.

It's a rabbit hole......I ended up building a 351W (mild build) rather than throwing money at a old engine. I say old as the new blocks have so many advantages over the old. #1 on that list is one piece rear main seal. #2 they're roller cam ready.....

With a 302 out of a Explorer you get the roller block and a dang good low end torque roller cam. The heads are really good to.

The #1 bang for the buck is GEARS.......Don't fear the gear. Get a game plan together. Know what size tire you want to run, what trans you plan to run then get the gear best for that combo.

I went 4.11's but looking back, 4.30 would be my choice now.

Tim

KCSPONY

I have been told by more than one engine builder....unless you plan on revving the engine past 6K on a regular basis, spend your money on the top end...cam, heads, headers, intake.

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

My Brother and I both had Broncos with 302 engines and 2 barrel carbs. Both had 32" tires. Mine had a C4 and his was a three speed. His always had a lot more pep than mine. We finally figured out the difference when we were comparing RPM wile riding together. His had 3.70 gears and mine was 3.50.

His still traveled down the highway just as good as mine, but could outrun me anywhere.

THIS^^^...very insightful...Thanks Blu!

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

Anything you do to that engine needs to be a package deal to get the most of any upgrade.

Adding a 4 bbl and intake is only part of the equation. Cam and heads need to work to get air in and out to take advantage of the 4 bbl and intake upgrades.

It's a rabbit hole......I ended up building a 351W (mild build) rather than throwing money at a old engine. I say old as the new blocks have so many advantages over the old. #1 on that list is one piece rear main seal. #2 they're roller cam ready.....

With a 302 out of a Explorer you get the roller block and a dang good low end torque roller cam. The heads are really good to.

The #1 bang for the buck is GEARS.......Don't fear the gear. Get a game plan together. Know what size tire you want to run, what trans you plan to run then get the gear best for that combo.

I went 4.11's but looking back, 4.30 would be my choice now.

Tim

Thanks very much Tim!

Very helpful...Gears are next on the list...

Paul

OP
OP
The Roacher

The Roacher

I have been told by more than one engine builder....unless you plan on revving the engine past 6K on a regular basis, spend your money on the top end...cam, heads, headers, intake.

Thanks Pony!

I don't think mine has EVER revved over 6K...:cool:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
33" tire
Stock type transmission (no overdrive), 3-speed, C4, NP435, etc.
Well proven gear ratio is 4.10/4.11 gears.
Carbureted small block is completely happy turning the RPM on the highway. If anything the biggest complaint is the fan noise running a fixed blade fan.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Additionally the stock Bronco 302 had what 125HP when it was new......Explorer 302 in stock form was 215HP as I recall.

It's a win win.

Now if you want to go 351W, 1996 version has 210HP (same cam as explorer but not as good heads) but torque was more.....

Tim

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The “don't fear the gear” guys seem to be the majority here. Even though mine was fun with 4.11s and 33s, it's annoying on the freeway at 65-70 for any length of time. Best to decide early how much tire and tranny you'll end up with and gear for that. Evolution in your build seldom works in your favor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I ran the 33/4.10 combo I had no issues making the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff, multiple times. That involves keeping up with traffic. It was happy. Eventually it got an overdrive and 4.88 gears.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Remember, you have to do gears both in the FRONT and the back. Costs 2x as much, just like everything else on a Bronco.

You can build a wild 302 that will have a ton of power at 4K-7K but this is a Bronco. 4500# brick, tall, high COG, skinny, short. Everything going against it for a fun high rpm motor.

Gears will help you feel like you have more power. The trade off is cruising down the highway at 65+ mph. Gears for power translate into 2800-3,000 rpm while cruising down the freeway! Gets tiring listening to an engine winding up that high for extended periods of time.

Figure out what a COMPLETE set of gears frt and back, completely setup so you drive it in, they do the gears, then you drive it home.

COMPARE that cost to a 351W or 408 stroker. You will NOT have to do gears, the engine won't be screaming at you going down the highway, you'lll have plenty (definitely not too much) power.

Check it out. I'm sure you and you buddys can bolt in a stroker. Takes more tools and practice to set up gears front and back.

Just an idea.

I love torque to move my 5300# Bronco. It has a lot of stuff added to it and it takes a bit more power to get it moving.

Good luck.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
When I ran the 33/4.10 combo I had no issues making the drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff, multiple times. That involves keeping up with traffic. It was happy. Eventually it got an overdrive and 4.88 gears.

But you're one of the “don't fear the gear” group. If you're ever traveling down a long stretch and see a 4x4 in the slow lane and the driver has a frown… that's a “don't fear the gear” guy.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
But you're one of the “don't fear the gear” group. If you're ever traveling down a long stretch and see a 4x4 in the slow lane and the driver has a frown… that's a “don't fear the gear” guy.

No that is the guy who did 4.56 gears with 33s who is running the slow lane.

I-17 is mostly 75MPH and I would run that and a little more. It is 100+ miles away.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Stock 3 speed (till I put in that M5ODR2 sitting in my shop) and 2800 at 70MPH. The only thing is the "Cherry Bombs" sing a bit too much for my now older self. Younger me was like HELL YEAH.....now not so much. Once I add "real" mufflers, it will be fine.

Tim

nvrstuk

Contributor
All valid points made.

I cruise at 2050 rpm at 70mph. Never shift going up a 6% grade that is miles long as we have them here.

With my 351W/ZF/203/D20 with 35"s I cruised at 2200rpm at 70mph. Of course I shifted down on hills. That's what transmissions are for right? lol I kept the same drivetrain and ran 37"s for almost a decade also. Shifting down on long hills didn't bother me at all. Getting 14.5 HONEST mpg checked against 8 other rigs on the same trip with a Qjet was always fun as it drove my EFI Bronco buddies crazy as I consistently at every fill up got better mileage and I had the largest cubes too.

I would drive 1,000 miles on a trip and not blink an eye doing it. No singing of gears wearing you, the driver down with a TON of racket for 8 hr days on the highway.

Pros & cons of everything. It's tough to weigh all the options w/o experiencing it first in an actual Bronco- for hours at a time. Otherwise it's not real. It's someone elses opinion and we know how different we all are. Some Bronco guys like sticks, some like LOUD exhaust, some like mud, some like uncut, you get the point. What's important to me isn't necessarily important to you.

Best of luck.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
When I had 3.50 gears, 33s and NP435 I was always in 3rd gear on 6+% highway grades. The 302 was poopy with that combo. Now I run 4.56 and 35s and it's a whole different truck.

The 460 in my '79 F150 with 3.50 gears, NP435 and same tires has no problem though, so there is truth that with enough cubic inches you can overcome a high-gear handicap. Although if I still towed a lot it would be getting a gear change too.

MS73HD302

I'm the guy in the slow lane rumbling along without a lot of speed with 4.11's and 31s but from 0-50 it'll bring a smile everytime you smash the gas it lifts the front bumper up while it throws you back in the seat. With that said I'm fine cruising 60 mph and enjoying the ride around 2600 rpm

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
We actually use our Bronco for interstate travel. 33s and 4.11s were a lot of fun with a built C4, but sucked on the four lane. I put in an NV3550, and it's perfect for us. All I have to do is shift out of 5th to remind myself of how it used to be. Sure, it's fine for a bit, but after 5 miles, I'm reaching for the shifter.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
This whole thread was started with the question of how to get more horse power from an EB 302. I stayed out of it because the question doesn't, if answered, improve drive ability or utility of an EB . The question needs to be "how to improve low end torque?". That was evident when I bought my first EB, a new '73. At that time the absurdly over size tires hadn't been inflicted on the Bronco community. No one knew how "cool" pinheads would think 35's looked. Now because group think prevails here, no one questions it. With tires sized closer to OE, the original gearing works. The low end torque that 302s never had, can be best improved with more displacement ie. a 347 stroker crank or a 351. My first 351 cost me 500 bucks so that was the low dollar choice and it worked perfectly. The power band of stock 351s works well with the OE 3.50 gears and 29-31 inch tires. The 347 would likely work as well. High RPM race car parts aren't needed or even desirable. I too have cruised highways at 70+. It's not reasonable or prudent in an EB, CJ, FJ40, or '60s-'70s Land Rover, but can be done.

nvrstuk

Contributor
jckkys- How to get more HP out of a 302. Well, since getting more reasonable HP out of a 302 at the rpm levels most EB's need wasn't really feasible, the "group think" as you call it realized that and suggested "seat of the pants" HP increase could be had with different gearing.

Since maybe 1% of EB owners run stock tires then the OP probably needs to change gearing to make his larger than stock tires & gears work w/o adding high rpm HP.

That's why I suggested strokers. Whatever size. He needs cubes and torque.

Also, when were EB's, CJ's, FJ40's and early Land Rovers never considered "reasonable or prudent" on a highway??? Really? Since our EB was our only real vehicle that's what we drove at 70 mph for hours every trip for at least 23 yrs. My parents Bronco was their ONLY vehicle so of course they drove it at 65-70mph.

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
its really how to get more power at 4,000 rpm. It should really be at 3,000 if your considering cruising. a sporty engine builds 1 hp per cube at 6,000 rpm. so you need an engine pulling 200 Hp at 4000 or 150 at 3000 rpm so your looking at good 351 numbers and I am guessing a 302 wont get you there unless its supercharged or something. yes you could build a screaming demon but you wouldn't be driving it to any Bronco events.
I believe that's why the explorer motors are so popular. cant believe how nice they would be in a totally stock light weight Bronco.