• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Motor swap help

hllink

Hello everyone, my wife recently purchased a 74 Bronco. It had gone thru a moderate restoration before purchase. Paint, interior, brakes n motor etc.
I have added a Holley Snyper EFI kit and that has been great...until. Its seems we have either lost a ring or valve. Regardless, after further inspection it doesn't seem like the previous mechanical work on the truck was done with much competence. So, its time to make a choice of a tearing into the old V8 or going with something more modern. The frame has some rust thru spots on the rails and I am planning on replacing the frame this winter in MN.
I am looking for information on doing a simple motor swap. I am also looking into a Coyote swap, but that would be a long shot. Can anyone tell me what the latest model yr 5.0 is a simple swap-out. The goal with a swap out is to be in the 350-400hp range. This will Bronco will never leave the pavement, so just looking for a strong reliable runner for my wife.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A Coyote engine is a poor choice for an EB you're actually going to use. The Explorer is better and a 351 low end torque engine is better still.

OP
OP
H

hllink

Thanks for the help everyone. I like the set up Summit has, will be calling them this week.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe you've been down this road before, and maybe your wife is an off-road racer, but in case not...
Before you put your wife (or anyone else for that matter) in an old Bronco with 400hp on tap, make sure everything else is done right too. Doesn't sound like it was put together with the greatest of care (which is an all too common problem now that they're the darling among all the flippers in the country it seems) to begin with. So it will be up to you to bring it up to spec.
These are just simplistic old utility vehicles with sixties technology that had 100-200 hp from the factory and handling like, well, a 50 year old utility vehicle would have.
Doubling or almost tripling the amount of power it originally came with would certainly be the time to make sure the suspension, steering, brakes and tires are all brought up to optimum levels.

Sorry if that was already assumed. But I didn't want to take the chance.
Good luck. Have fun!

Oh, and welcome to classicbroncos too!

Paul

PickleJar

Seems like a lot of power for drive around kind of vehicle. Too each his own. But let’s say you forgo the power and just get a simple blueprint 302 crate motor and put that EFI kit you have on it? I feel like that would be a relatively inexpensive but reliable option and you already dropped the cash on the efi. What were you planning to do transmission wise?

I will also second the motion to go through everything since you now doubt the workmanship of the last owner(s). Make sure everything is in good running order.