• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moving to Colorado

Broncofarm

I'm planning on moving to Colorado in the next 6 months or so. Probably moving to Teller county. Are there any smog, lift or other inspecton laws there I need to be concerned about?

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
where is teller county. i think that you have to smog in the big cities only. more info on where your moving city. will try and get more info then.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
You will be good. Cool area, nice folks. The drive to the Springs is fine until you get to Manitou (sp?) Springs, then traffic sucks. I used to run the Schwan's route up there for a couple years, I can probably remember which subdivions were dirt roads.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don’t live there, but have a car friend who does.
From what I have heard you have to pass a sniffer smog test once, then get classic/collector car plates. As long as you keep the registration current no more smog tests.
Other then that I have not heard of other car ownership issues in Colorado.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
Yeah, I seriously doubt there are emissions testing there. That is pretty much out there from the springs. Watch out for the wildfires. Those mentally challenged forest rangers can do some damage when they get a match ;D

Statewide, the only lift law is that your headlights can't be higher than 54". You pretty much need some huge ass tire (bigger than 44's) to get that high.

OP
OP
B

Broncofarm

We were up there about a week ago and we really liked the area. As soon as I can rap things up here and get my house sold we will be on our way. The cost of housing in CA is getting too high for us and I recently got injured at work so I'm getting medically retired within the next few months.

My Bronco is still in the rebuild stage but I hope to get it together with in about 6 months after moving.

How about 4 wheeling areas around there? I lean towards the rock crawling side being from CA.

It looks like there is no smog for vehicle outside the big city counties. But I'm not sure if I will have to pass smog when I first register the Bronco. It's a '72 with a '92 5.8 in it with no smog stuff. No smog is required in CA since it is pre '75.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
The only counties in CO with vehicle emissions testing are Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas and Jefferson as well as parts of the counties of Adams, Arapahoe, Larimer, Weld and El Paso. Nothing at all in the rest of CO, including Teller county.

You can read about the program at this link: http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/wrap.asp?incl=emissions

There is a LOT of wheeling in CO, including serious rock crawling. Since you're moving here you should join www.colorado4x4.org. ;D

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I don't know what there is for wheeling on CA, but you can probably go everyday of the year here and not hit the same trail if you choose. And Divide is a good central location to a lot of trails. For more info, check out www.4x4trails.net. You can search within your county. To get you started, check out Eagle Rock, Saran Wrap, Chinamans, Iron Chest, China Wall...

We'd like more Califonians like you...not the goobers.

J.D.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
I spent the first 24 years of my life in Colorado and then a couple more during grad school. 74BroncoCO is right - there are great 4-wheeling places all over. Really good stuff right near where you are going to be, also. Go a bit further south and there are some fun places to play in the Crestones. Have fun!

Solar Aviator

Colorado Emissions

I live in the Peoples Republic of Boulder. My big Bronco conversion passed emissions with flying colors. The only testing is along the front range and I believe that they are phasing that out in favor of the drive by monitors. I've seen a lot of really radical equipment running around without getting hastled.

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Yep no smog in teller. A couple of the members of our club (http://www.bighorn4x4.com) live in woodland park and one lives in divide. I know you'll love it out here! I moved to Colorado Springs in 94 and knew I would never live anywhere else! Hope to meet you on the trail some time!

Paul Houghton
Pres Bighorn 4x4 Club Colorado Springs

sellers69

Loc.
Durango, Colorado
Mine passed the smog test just fine and it is hurtin in a bad way. But you only hafta to do it once and then you get the classic plates. When I pulled into to get it tested I poped the hood and turned the idle down as low as it would go right in front of the guy and he didnt say a thing.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
My brother lives up there and said they just dropped the emissions tests this year. Shoot, even if you did have smog tests up there, pass it once then get collectors tags and you never have to pass again. Any EB can get those tags, the only stipulations are that the vehicle has to be 25 years or older and pass the initial licensing test.

OP
OP
B

Broncofarm

So it sounds like there is no smog at all in that county even when first registering a vehicle there? I'm not sure I'll be able to pass even a first test since I won't have any of the smog parts on there. Do they just do a sniffer test?

Colo77Bronco

Contributor
Loc.
Colorado Springs
They do a brief inspection and a sniffer test..

If you are coming from lower altitude you may need some carb jet work to get it lean enough. I had to rejet my carb coming from California.

The inspectors are typically kids and folks that have no idea what they are looking for. They just look and say OK.

You should be fine and make sure you register as collector so if they chnage smog laws you are grandfathered into no more tests.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Broncofarm said:
So it sounds like there is no smog at all in that county even when first registering a vehicle there?
That's correct, if you live in Teller county and register a vehicle there, there will be NO smog test of any kind, either visual or sniffer, whether it's the first time registering it or not.

OP
OP
B

Broncofarm

Thanks for the info I'm glad to hear there is no smog at all in Teller.

We are looking in the Divide, florissant, and Woodland Park area.