• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My '69 Build

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Deeper into the rabbit hole we go. It is a good thing this bolt broke off. As I was taking the water pump off, I noticed that the sealer that I used was still tacky. I took a tip from a friend and used anaerobic sealer. However, I guess that I need to read the damn instructions next time. I didn't realize that you had to also apply an activator. No big deal, right? Wrong. I also used the anaerobic sealer to the timing cover gasket. So, I have to take that off now, also. So, I get to take the crank pulley and damper off.

Well, at least I will get to definitely verify the crank position. %)

For supposedly being a "smart person", I sure do a lot of dumbass things.

Things continue sucking....

bax

Contributor
Old Member
No sucking is getting it running and it leaking all over then you have to take it all back apart. Thats sucking. Your Ok, just in and out of love.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Yeah, maybe. If someone would have walked up to me today and offered a fair amount, I probably would have sold her. To top things off, I filled up my NP435 with some Red Line yesterday. And you guessed it - I have a nice, slow leak. So, I get to drop the tranny in the near future. And my 9" is leaking, too. Guess I don't know how to seal things very well. %)

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Well, just wait until you throw on your first coat of paint and get a nice big fat hanger right in the middle of the door or something..... Trust me it's painful sanding off $200 worth of paint to fix a problem only to throw another $200 worth of paint on...:-X

I still have a couple of leaks that I haven't fixed. Just try and think of it as a 40 year old truck!;D

I know this isn't the encouragement you were looking for.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Well, shit just keeps getting better. :mad:

I went ahead and replaced my water pump bolts with a trip to the hardware store. Well, it turns out I should have sprang for the grade 8 bolts. I was putting the timing cover back on and was tightening up one of the "new" bottom bolts and it sheared off in the block. I just about lost my mind right then and there. I was not even getting on it - it was just a piece of shit bolt. So, I start the process of drilling the bolt out. I get most of it out and then start running a tap down the hole. Going nice and slow, backing out often to clean material out. Well, in this process, I hit some bolt material and it starts to bind up a bit, so I give a little more torque. Yeah, you guessed it - my F*#*ing tap snaps off in the block. So now I gotta go see if someplace around here has a tap extractor. I doubt that they will since I live in such a smallville, so I will have to wait for one to come in on order.

This is un*#(%ing believable. I am beside myself. I am so pissed off right now.

On a good note - I fixed my tranny leak. For once, it was something simple.

Stupid f*#(ing project. :mad::mad::mad:

nmgearguy

Hey Devin,

Just read your entire build thread and it looks awesome. Good for you for doing something different. I pulled a decent 400 out of my 78’ F-250 to put a 460 in a few years ago and since then the 400 has been sitting in my shop just gathering dust. It’s yours for the asking if you want it. Engine has ~70k on it and still has the stock manifolds and a water pump (with the stock water pump bolts). I would be happy to see it go to someone who could use it. I live in the Jemez and work in LA and heck, I’ll even deliver to see that bronco of yours.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Hey Devin,

Just read your entire build thread and it looks awesome. Good for you for doing something different. I pulled a decent 400 out of my 78’ F-250 to put a 460 in a few years ago and since then the 400 has been sitting in my shop just gathering dust. It’s yours for the asking if you want it. Engine has ~70k on it and still has the stock manifolds and a water pump (with the stock water pump bolts). I would be happy to see it go to someone who could use it. I live in the Jemez and work in LA and heck, I’ll even deliver to see that bronco of yours.

PM sent.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Well, I got the tap broke in the block thing taken care of finally. Buttoned her back up. I did a brush test on the battery and didn't see any problems. Then I hooked up the power and started testing some things. Fuel pump works. So far, it is the only thing that I have tested that works. Dash lamps don't work, extra gauge lamps don't work, no blinkers, etc, etc. So, I get to go electrical hunting tomorrow. Oh joy. ;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Can't you all just feel the love? I can feel it.
It's going to be worth it.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Dash lamps don't work, extra gauge lamps don't work, no blinkers, etc, etc. So, I get to go electrical hunting tomorrow. Oh joy. ;D
Oh hell Devin, this type of thing happens to all of us.
Probably something simple.. :)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I been away fer a while and whilst gone, Devin has written a book...a tragedy it looks like.:p

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Inching forward. I found the problem with the gauge lights. I then attempted to hook to the Commander ECU, but my laptop didn't have a com port. Off to Radio Shack to get a com-usb adapter. Laptop still couldn't see it even with that. So, I assume that it is because I need to have the key in the "ON" position instead of the "ACC". Well, to do that, I need to get some fuel in the tank. That is good - I needed to get the fuel system primed anyway and check for leaks. I found three leaks. One was in my fuel lines under the truck - fixed easily. The other two were on my passenger side fuel rail. When I was installing the fuel rails, I was worried that they might leak. The end NPT threads weren't machined very deep, so I only had minimal thread engagement with the fuel connections. Well, I should have trusted my gut. Now I will have to yank the fuel rails off and run them up to a machine shop - I don't have an NPT thread tap that big (and we all know how good I am with taps, anyway %) ).

Sigh.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
. Well, I should have trusted my gut. Now I will have to yank the fuel rails off and run them up to a machine shop - I don't have an NPT thread tap that big (and we all know how good I am with taps, anyway %) ).

Sigh.

Good grief..I tested the thread engagement with an NPT nipple before
I called 'em deep enough. 3/8" NPT taps are cheap at Tru Value hardware store or Home Depot..

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I did not use a pipe thread in my fuel rails. I used a 3/4'' 16 straight thread. The end I threaded into the rail has an o ring for a seal. Never had a problem. pipe thread should work good. making them deeper should be no problem. I have noticed different pipe nipples can vary on how deep they thread into the same hole.
machine shop for a pipe thread? really. I would think the cost of the tap would be less than the machine shop bill. Plus no waiting. and now you own a new tool.
Keep working, you will get it.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Must just be the nipple on the end of the fittings I chose like bax said.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
The main reason I brought up the idea of bringing them to a machine shop was I didn't know if I was going to need to drill the hole any deeper. Well, I took the rails off this morning and was in luck. There was plenty of real estate to cut the threads deeper. My father-in-law had a tap. The only trouble I have now is that the threads on one of the fuel connections got kind of screwed up when I was originally putting them in (trying to force just a little more thread engagement). So, I am going to see if I can clean up those threads. Otherwise, I will have to order a new connection.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You can do it. Even if it takes you, all night long!