• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My C4 is done and I need a new one; How do I find the right one?

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
All,

My C4 is trashed and I'm looking to replace it. How do I get the correct one that matches up with my 302 and Dana 20 TC in my 71 EB? Do I need a C4 or would a C6 work?

What questions do I need to ask when looking into another C4?

Thanks,

Vet

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Rebuild the one you've already got! It's not that difficult, especially using us for help! There's probably 2-3 rebuilt a week on the tech forums.... Save your labor dollars, buy the right parts and have a really well built transmission for less than a AAMCO special.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You have little choice than to have it rebuilt if you want to stay C4. You might be able to find another Bronco C4 but chances are it would either need a rebuild also or if it's been rebuilt it's going to be expensive.

Bronco C4's have unique output shafts. No other vehicle used it.

A C6 can be done but that is also expensive for the adapter and mods will need to be done to get it to fit.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the dvd if you need to borrow it, and the clutch pack press, and this and that.

Dbarnes72

Loc.
Eastern Wa.
needabronco;1747449 buy the right parts and have a really well built transmission for less than a AAMCO special.[/QUOTE said:
Hate to hijack (that's a lie right there) Needabronco you mention right parts, is there a short list for a decent C4 rebuild of unknown condition? Summit racing "kits" complete enough?

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Rebuild the one you've already got! It's not that difficult, especially using us for help! There's probably 2-3 rebuilt a week on the tech forums.... Save your labor dollars, buy the right parts and have a really well built transmission for less than a AAMCO special.

That sounds good, but the guy that was working on my EB took it to a Tranny guy and he said it wouldn't be worth rebuilding because the he would ruin the case trying to do it.. Not sure what the heck that meant but I think I might take it out and send it to the guy that did all the seals on it and said it looked pretty good...

Anyway, Thanks all for the help..

Tom

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Dbarnes, how's that a lie? AAMCO quoted me almost a grand to rebuild a C4 last time I called the (yes the LAST time I called them also). Do you work for AAMCO? You could build one hell of a C4 for well under a grand! And yes you can buy a Summit kit, or do a little homework and buy the parts you need from whosale transmission stores.

Do a search, you'll find all the suggested parts to buy, and not buy right here...

Tom, find a new tranny guy, or get brave and dive into it yourself. Automatic transmissions can seem a little mysterious at first, but there's really not a whole lot to them once you tear them apart.

turbotim2

That sounds good, but the guy that was working on my EB took it to a Tranny guy and he said it wouldn't be worth rebuilding because the he would ruin the case trying to do it.. Not sure what the heck that meant but I think I might take it out and send it to the guy that did all the seals on it and said it looked pretty good...

Anyway, Thanks all for the help..

Tom

Try it yourself, not sure how someone could ruin the case by attempting a rebuild unless there are parts wedged into from a catastrophic failure.

In fact - do this, take it apart, take a lot of pics along the way and post them up here. There are enough of us who have done these rebuilds to flag any potential show stoppers. You will be out nothing but a little time!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whats your MOS? and say it in english, I was USAF.

ditto on the crack it open, take some photos. here was my list of extra parts needed once mine was opened :

Rebuilt pump due to shaft groove $70
New input shaft $200 (only one I could find)
Clutch housing $40

I think my rebuild master kit with reds was $250, I spent $40 having the shop press in all new bushings.

new torque converter is anywhere from $100-250.

I think a C4 is easier than a motor to rebuild.

Your going to need a good micrometer with adjustable brackets to check endplay.

Your going to need a clean place to put it together, you can pulll it apart onthe floor, and do that cuase the old oil gets everywhere.

I was qouted over a grand for rebuilds at three local reputable shops, i don't discount their work, but for that price I was able to ensure all the parts where gone over and replaced to like new condition, not remanned specs which are looser.

turbotim2

I think I paid between $400 and $500 for master kit (steels, clutches, gaskets, seals,etc.), bushing kit, modulator, torque converter, screen, shift kit, output bearing and seal. I took the housing to a shop to have it cleaned which was about $40.

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Sounds great guys! I'm taking it out this week and I'll dive into it myself and a buddy of mine. I'll post photo's soon as I can.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
take pics or label the sections and parts as they come out, especially thrust washer placement, those can sometimes go in backwards and result in failure within a few miles.