• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Silver '76 Build....The 5.0 EFI swap

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
I have owned this Bronco for 16 years and this will be the biggest mechanical upgrade to date.

I'll start by saying that this build would not be possible without the help from my friend Blazinchuck. Thanks Again Bro!

I travel extensively for work and I'm often away from home 7 to 8 months out of the year. My work schedule will get in the way of the progress of this build, but I'm determined to get this done and running as soon as possible.

I've been collecting parts for a while now and last weekend we finally started to make some progress.

The parts I have:

'91 Mustang 5.0 EFI with B303 cam and Trick Flow intake.
Mustang engine wire harness reworked by Ric at KOLIBAR
EGR delete plate from KOLIBAR
E9P EEC
BC Broncos 23 gal EFI fuel tank with in tank pump.
2'' body lift from Wild Horses
1 qt of POR 15 rust, 1 qt of POR 15 black topcoat.

The progress to date.

Saturday 6/2: Pulled the tired 302 engine, driveshafts, C4 transmission, D20 transfercase, and headers/exhaust.

Sunday 6/3: Pulled both fuel tanks, soaked the underside of the body and frame and engine bay with degreaser/cleaner and gave it all a good power washing.

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Springfield, MO as I write this up and all I think about is getting back to Charleston to get back on this project. I'll be heading home Friday and I'm hoping that the POR 15 and the body lift will be there waiting for me so we can get moving on preping the frame and installing the lift.
09b967b1.jpg
ca99a7f9.jpg
d1bf47b1.jpg

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Nice man.... you are currently 2.5 hours south east of me...

Drove through there Sun night on the way home from MS...

Best of luck bud..

Unknown

Contributor
Good luck with the swap - one of my long term plans too. What transmission are you going with?

OP
OP
BucknEB

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
Yeah Sprdv1, I knew I was in your neck of the woods. I was hoping that OCBR would have coincided with this trip, that would have been cool. I could have flexed out my rental Ford Escape on some of the trails, I bought the insurance;D

Unknown- I reusing my C4 and D20 setup, at least until I swap for a 4R70W or some sort of AOD unit.

The snowball affect is real and it's happening.

And thanks y'all I need all the luck I can get.

OP
OP
BucknEB

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
An update on the progress:

While I was in Missouri last week Chuck decided to start looking at the body mounts and begin the the Body lift/Body bushings install. He called with the bad news, and this is what he found.

I ordered some new 16 gauge floor pans from Wild Horses and they are on their way.

The proverbial can of worms has been opened.

Attachments

• Floor2.jpg
    Floor2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Floor3.jpg
    Floor3.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 120
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 123

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru

While I was in Missouri last week Chuck decided to start looking at the body mounts and begin the the Body lift/Body bushings install. He called with the bad news, and this is what he found.

I ordered some new 16 gauge floor pans from Wild Horses and they are on their way.

Is this considered bad? Just trying to learn, so I thought I'd ask. It doesn't look to bad to me.

OP
OP
BucknEB

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
It's bad enough that I want to replace before I do the body lift. The body mount is right below the brake pedal on the driver side and there was no good metal left in that area. 'If you look close at the 3rd picture you can see the rust holes in the driver side floor pan, and you can also see the PO's patch in the 2nd that is 16 years old. The underside was painted with a rubberized coating and I'm sure that there is nothing left behind the patch.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru

Uh Oh! :eek: You know what that can lead to on here! Motor looks Sweet.

OP
OP
BucknEB

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
We cut out the passenger floor pan last night and then we cut and fitted the new floor pan. There was a chit ton of spot welds to drill out and the whole process took a little longer than expected. The extra time spent on it was worth it. The cut and fitment came out damn near perfect.
de7649c9.jpg
e4539a8b.jpg
48e196d5.jpg
f8d08a1c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BucknEB

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
Hey Bucken, those floor pans look great!!! You should be able to drive it to the next Atlanta M&G!!!!!;D;D;D

Thanks, I gotta give Chuck most of the credit. It's in his garage with his tools and his "know-how". Once I get the engine right I'll be driving it everywhere, Atlanta, Charlotte,Townsend, Harlen, Gore, KOH, I can't wait.;D

OP
OP
BucknEB

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
Progress is slow but it's getting done right. My work and other commitments always seem to get in the way of garage time.

Last night I worked on grinding down the welds on the passenger side floor pan. Chuck cut and replaced the rusted sections of the lower driver side kick panel and began to weld the driver side floor pan.
654990bc.jpg
1dfb679f.jpg

Last edited:

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
we'll get there bro...

once we get past these floors, then comes the cool stuff lol

OP
OP
BucknEB

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
We got some more work done last night. The driver side floor pan is completely welded in, and I'm finished grinding on the passenger side. Sorry, but no pics of the progress last night.

Some more stuff that I have acquired:

BCB EFI hard fuel line kit with mounting brackets.
BCB SS braided fuel lines w/ fuel pressure gauge
TBP Radiator fan shroud for a 2'' BL
BCB locking header bolts and gaskets

Explorer Serpentine assembly with all the accessories.
2 stock front seats in great condition
1 stock rear seat in great condition
long tube headers
TBP H4 halogen headlights w/ harness

Gettin' excited!;D

Last edited:

Mudd

Loc.
Georgetown, TX
I like your build, it's close to what I'm planning (hopefully without all the rust, but we'll see). Do you mind if I ask what kind of money you've got wrapped up in parts thus far for the swap?

Looks great so far.

OP
OP
BucknEB

BucknEB

Loc.
Johns Island, SC
I like your build, it's close to what I'm planning (hopefully without all the rust, but we'll see). Do you mind if I ask what kind of money you've got wrapped up in parts thus far for the swap?

Looks great so far.

Thanks,

I don't mind, but I hate to think about it at the same time. ;D

I'm 99% sure my wife is not on the forum so here it goes:

rebuilt '91 mustang 5.0 Engine, wiring harness, EEC,pick-up from Atanta $700.
wiring harness rebuilt by Ric at Kolibar Kustoms $280
New TC and flexplate $250
new mini gear starter $?
EGR delete plate from Kolibar $20
BCB 23 gal fuel tank w/ pump $670
BCB fuel filler hose and vent hose $20
BCB EFI hard fuel line kit w/ frame brackets $152
BCB SS braided fuel lines w/ fuel pressure gauge $220
BCB EFI throttle linkage $60
BCB EFI C4 kickdown cable $50
BCB O2 bungs $10
O2 sensors $75
WH 2'' body lift $120
TBP 2'' BL radiator shroud $120
used explorer Serpentine assembly w/all the accessories $300
new gasket kit for timing cover,water pump, etc.$20
new water pump $70
used headers $75
BCB header gaskets and locking bolts $100
WH floor pans $160
Por 15 rust and top coat (for the frame) $75
Radiator cleaning/ repair $45
Radiator top hose, lower crossover $?
JB fab twin sticks $110
new muffler and exhaust $?
Fliuds $?
new serp belt $?
Misc tools, etc. $100

I may have missed a couple things.
I'm glad I didn't add that up while I was typing.:eek:

Last edited:

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
It totals $3,802 plus the cost of ?s, yep you betta hope she ain't on here!!!!

My wife was told my halfcab was given to me for free!!!! Most everything the UPS guy brings to me for my EB cost $25 and no more. I had to fess up on the 72 tub I bought earlier this year, she saw the sales reciept in my car one morning, D'OH!!!!!