• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New 347 Build... '75 Street Queen

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Well my timing was off so ewhat, plugs were somewhat fouled and the IAC was replaced- she has been idling for about 15 minutes as I type this...

I will see what the story is in the morning...

On a side note- I can get the BBK MAF fairly cheap on Monday if I want to buy it. Is there any advantage to this over the C&L with stock sensor??

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
why do you think you need 30's? the lightning (351w, gt40 heads, gt40 intake, etc) only had 19's.

the deal is that no matter what maf you install the injectors have a pre programmed pulse at idle. that means without a tune you will always be rich at idle.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
why do you think you need 30's? the lightning (351w, gt40 heads, gt40 intake, etc) only had 19's.

the deal is that no matter what maf you install the injectors have a pre programmed pulse at idle. that means without a tune you will always be rich at idle.

Well... Simple answer- I really don't know as much as I should.

The 347 will put out more HP than a stock 351... 10:1 compression, bigger valves, big torquey cam, better flowing heads and exhaust- etc... I did not dyno the motor, so I don't know the power, but I will eventually have it tuned or buy a tuner and learn it myself.

During the process- I tried to learn as much as possible and came across some deals on parts (like the 30s) that I thought were worth the skin. It will not be a1/4 mile mustang, but it will also not be a rock crawling low speed monster.

My focus in the short term is to get it running respectably to get to super celebration and then work on tuning it..

FWIW, from my research, the GT40 intake can handle more than the GT40 heads... So I am ahead there with better heads and bigger valves. I also port matched the intake to the heads and TB... A lot of value, i don't know, but it is directionally correct. The lightning also had smog, exhaust and other regulations that muted the power.

Do you think a factory lightning will put out more than a semi built 347 when tuned?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
i am sure it will run well when done. you have some nice parts in it.

i built destins (turtlesoup on here). trick flow heads, trick flow intake, larger TB, etc. he loves it but he keeps breaking drive line parts. LOL

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
i am sure it will run well when done. you have some nice parts in it.

i built destins (turtlesoup on here). trick flow heads, trick flow intake, larger TB, etc. he loves it but he keeps breaking drive line parts. LOL

Nice... My crawler has a bone stock engine with 100:1 crawl ratio and I tear up all the stupid stuff that you would think would last...

This motor isn't the best by any means, but it fell within my budget (I think) and my capability (for the most part). It is 1000% better than the 160hp (down hill on a good day, right off the factory floor) '89 mercury Grand Marquis engine that was in it.

Btw- if bigger injectors make no difference, why did Ford put 24lb injectors in the '93 Cobra set up similarly to he Lightning?? ;D

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
they got smart in 94 and went back to 19's :)

the only time you will ever need the larger injectors is when your foot is to the floor and the rpms are up there.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
they got smart in 94 and went back to 19's :)

the only time you will ever need the larger injectors is when your foot is to the floor and the rpms are up there.

Best thing I have heard all week!!! That is exactly how I plan to drive it!!

And I am sure the gov't likes lower HP ratings... Reminds me of some of the late 60s early 70s cars I have built... Ratings before they were tuned... LOL!

All BS aside- thanks for the input.

Todd

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
Well maybe that got you fixed up. good luck with it. Now i am headed to work on mine. gotta get the BC bronco tank installed and put my harness on.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Engine is running good now...

C4 won't shift in Drive. I can manually shift to second, but if I shift back to D it sounds like it goes into Nuetral... From a stop in drive- it just winds out 1st gear... When I manually shift to second it shifts strong.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Engine is running good now...

C4 won't shift in Drive. I can manually shift to second, but if I shift back to D it sounds like it goes into Nuetral... From a stop in drive- it just winds out 1st gear... When I manually shift to second it shifts strong.

Make sure you have good vacuum to the modulator.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Full manifold vacuum to the modulator
The kickdown isn't bottomed out (linkage isn't set to full throttle)

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Well it's shifting now... Not sure what exactly shook loose, but I will be cautious with it for a while and make sure it keeps shifting.

I noticed some spark knock when going up a hill in third when I gave it gas- it didnt downshift and I could hear the knocking so I backed out and went to second gear... I may have to move up to higher octane gas...

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
is the timing set at 10* with the spout out? if not it could cause the knocking. also check for vacuum leaks or the fuel pressure fallong off.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
is the timing set at 10* with the spout out? if not it could cause the knocking. also check for vacuum leaks or the fuel pressure fallong off.

Timing set w/o spout. Fuel pressure stays very consistent throughout the RPM range, but I don't have a gauge I can read while driving. Vacuum leaks are my nemesis, but I only have the fuel regulator, trans and PCV hooked to vacuum... I confirmed the trans & fuel regulator both this week and the PCV is pretty tight.

I am leaning toward higher octane strictly because the engine is near 10:1compression. My research has led me to believe 10:1 is borderline for 87 octane... But I could be wrong. I will recalculate my compression ratio, but I am using mfg numbers on the heads as I never did measure them.

OP
OP
Mountain Ram

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
Put a tank of 93 in her and drove the wheels off her for a couple of hours... She likes WOT! Trans is shifting good, engine has a lot of power. Put another 75 miles on her- no top, kiddies in the back seat- a great day for cruising.

The exhaust, although louder than I really wanted, is not offensive when driving. Ran right at 190-195 degrees and when sitting at line in the drive thru it only got up to 200. 25psi oil pressure at idle when warm, 50psi when in gear running down the road.

It's nice to have it running again and I love to open the hood to show people the work.