• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

newbie looking for her old bronco...FOUND IT...pics 6/19/12

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I heard back from the owner this morning and as I'm sure most of you imagined, it's not good news. I mean the opening is there, but it's just so unreasonable. Actually maybe it's not unreasonable, I guess I'd feel the same way. Here's what he said:

Hey Val,

Here are the pros and cons. Wish I had more pictures, but this is a really busy time of the year for us. I will take some current photos and send them to you in the next couple of weeks. I will be out of town for a week and a half and will not have any e-mail or phone access.

Pros
-It’s a ‘76 Sport, not many of those around
-Factory Power Steering & rebuilt pump and gear box
-Factory Disc Brakes in the front
-New fiberglass fenders with built in flares
-Re-painted body original color, probably 7-8 years ago. Paint is in good shape, not faded. Top does have some chips, but not bad.
-No rust
-4 wheel drive hubs re-built this year
-New Holley truck avenger off road carb with electric choke installed this year
-Re-built original C4 auto transmission with 15,000 miles or so
-Re-built original 302 engine with maybe 25,000 miles or so
-All emissions removed (not required anymore as it’s an antique vehicle)
-New Battery installed this year
-9” rear end differential rebuilt a couple years back
-I have a 23 gallon main gas tank you can install to give you 11 or 12 more gallons of fuel
-Still have the back seat and it’s in good shape
-Has really only been driven every month or so for the last 8-9 years
-Greasy, well used Haynes shop manual included!

Cons
-Needs to have valve seals in the heads re-done ($500 or so, work done by others)
-Needs tires if you are going to drive it every day. The tires on it aren’t in too bad a shape and hold air fine, there just old. Better to be safe than sorry.
-Needs an auxiliary gas tank if you want to use that. The filler neck was cracked when I bought it and I never replaced it. ($200.00 or so)
-Needs a heater core. I have the part, just need to put it in. Takes an hour or so.
-Needs driver seat re-covered or put seat covers over the existing seats. If you wanted the factory look, I would re-cover with OEM vinyl ($200 or so, you can do this)
-Needs Driver’s side mirror ($75 or so)
-Need to change all fluids ($50 or so)
-I would replace the radio
-I would install a vintage air A/C (for the kids in the summer)
-I would change out the steering wheel with a nicer one (aesthetics only)
-I would buy a bigger 4 core aluminum radiator. That’s more for off roading in Texas in the summer. Probably not an issue for you in Montana

I plan on doing the above this year, adding a small lift kit, and putting a little bigger set of off road tires on it. I will probably take the hard top off and put a bikini soft top on it. It will be more of a fair weather fun truck than a daily driver.

As far as towing it, it would be cheaper to get a transport company to put it on a truck with a load of cars already heading your way. I’ve done that before and had good luck. Just use a reputable company recommended by a friend or find a car dealer you can trust and they’ll know someone.

As far as the offer goes, I have a standing offer of $12,500 from a good buddy of mine and I consistently turn it down. I would take 15K as it sits now, but I know I would regret selling it. I’ll be honest, if you were to offer that I would still have to think it over for a while. I think I’m as attached to it as you are and I really don’t want to do something that I would regret. If it doesn’t work out, we can part friends and I will keep your contact info in case I ever change my mind. I’ll get those pictures to you as soon as I can.

I kinda figured it would go this way...

I don't imagine I could spend $12.5k on getting her back; and it looks like he'd only go for $15k, so there ya go.

What do y'all think about the mods that were done?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That's not a bad price for that Bronco if it were around here. There are only two for sale here now and the first one is $15,500 and it's no where near as nice as your old one, the second is nice but they want $29k for it. I know I wouldn't take less than $20k for mine.;D

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Dang, gonna be hard to get back at that price huh... What can you do right..

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
based on the one pic and the info/ minor problems ..... 15k is not bad at all . Heck the 4 LTX M/S are $1000.- and look at all the nice chrome !!!

btw .... luv the Palin sign !!! haha

Attachments

• blamejane_76_bronco_pic.jpg
    blamejane_76_bronco_pic.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 231
OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks guys, I'm glad hear you think it's worth it. I know if I had that kind of money I would offer it, no second thoughts.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
I don't know what to tell ya...and I'm never at a loss for words...,but I guess I would just start looking for my next memory making Bronco...like I said I just don't know...

tw322

Very cool that you found it but sucks that you can't get it back. Like half cab said, find another one to make new memories with and enjoy the journey.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
The guy obviously cares for the truck alot. The price is reasonable for that truck (esp here in CA.)....it sucks it is beyond your range. I think you need to close the book on this chapter and start fresh!! At least you were able to find out what happened to it...and won't be wondering in the future. X3 on what Half Cab said about getting another one and start making new memories. OH, and if you get another one and trade it in at an import lot....you are banned from CB!!! j/k ;D

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Here is how I would approach it given that he has said he would go right out and buy another. I would make it a three party transaction, the reason I would do this is because the person that is selling is wanting to sell, find a bronco that he would feel is a fair trade and negotiate the price of that bronco with the owner. A person that is not looking to sell is not going to negotiate on the price and will most likely be at a "well I would have to sell it at that price point". For example, I would have sell my bronco for 20k, I would not buy my bronco for 20k because it's not worth it. But that's the price you would have to come to me with to part with it. With all that being said, by what you have said, it would probably be hard to find a comparable bronco for what you can spend. You would have to find someone that has to move their truck quick.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Sorry Valerie! This whole thing had me asking myself, "Would I sell my rig, after having owned it as long as I have, to the previous owner?" The answer is a resounding NO. I too have an emotional attachment to the Bronco now and as much as I would want to help the person grab a part of their history, I just couldn't part with something I put this much time, money and effort into.

I suggest you let us all help you find a great rig for the price you're willing to pay. I think your old rig is nice, but memories can be made with another one and paying more for this one than you have to spend isn't the answer.

Again, I'm sorry this isn't going to work out for you. I'll be on the lookout for a decent driver for you.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
Sorry Valerie! This whole thing had me asking myself, "Would I sell my rig, after having owned it as long as I have, to the previous owner?" The answer is a resounding NO. I too have an emotional attachment to the Bronco now and as much as I would want to help the person grab a part of their history, I just couldn't part with something I put this much time, money and effort into.

I suggest you let us all help you find a great rig for the price you're willing to pay. I think your old rig is nice, but memories can be made with another one and paying more for this one than you have to spend isn't the answer.

Again, I'm sorry this isn't going to work out for you. I'll be on the lookout for a decent driver for you.

The only thing that would make me consider it in this case is that it was her dads rig. I have sat and looked at my truck, which my boy and I have put a lot of work in together, which is also going to be his ride one day, and soul searched on the same question. The only reason my mind say yes is because it was her fathers truck. If a comparable truck could be located I would do it, I came to this conclusion one day when my boy and I where out in the garage working and though what if my boy where in that situation with this truck one day. I would do it, because I think the father bond is greater than my own. Sure my boy and I have hours together in that truck, but it's the truck that your dad give to you that is the important part. For us it would just add to the story about how we built a truck together and returned it to another father / child owner and got this one. I would do it, but only because it was your dads truck.

On another note though, I think your story should serve as a cautionary tale to other Bronco owners who are reluctantly selling their Bronco's. A person should think long and hard about selling these vehicles that generate so much emotional attachment. I don't mean that as a slight towards you, I know by your story that you had your reasons when you did it, but I have seen a lot of people come to regret selling their old vehicles. Especially ones like the Early Bronco's that are hard to replace without breaking the bank.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know what to tell ya...and I'm never at a loss for words...,but I guess I would just start looking for my next memory making Bronco...like I said I just don't know...

Thanks Half, I am going to consider this. I think I'll keep looking and see how I feel about it.

Here is how I would approach it given that he has said he would go right out and buy another. I would make it a three party transaction, the reason I would do this is because the person that is selling is wanting to sell, find a bronco that he would feel is a fair trade and negotiate the price of that bronco with the owner. A person that is not looking to sell is not going to negotiate on the price and will most likely be at a "well I would have to sell it at that price point". For example, I would have sell my bronco for 20k, I would not buy my bronco for 20k because it's not worth it. But that's the price you would have to come to me with to part with it. With all that being said, by what you have said, it would probably be hard to find a comparable bronco for what you can spend. You would have to find someone that has to move their truck quick.

I think this could work, and it makes complete sense. I just think I've gotta think about it for a while, see how I feel in a week or two.

Chief and KLS: I think you both make very valid arguments, and its interesting coming from different angles.

Hey everyone, just want to say thanks. I am happy to close this chapter...as the bronco has been found!! ;D

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Find a project that someone has given up on form a RUST FREE state like Arizona and use this awesome network to get it put back together and build your new Dream Bronco! ;D

Broncitis

MEB Founder
A similar thing happened on a 34K mile near perfect 74 Ranger survivor we bought several years back.

A friend bought it from the original owner for $3500 to flip it.

He called me to see if the $7K he was asking was fair. Based on his description (and knowing the quality of vehicles he restores and trusting his description), I told him it was very fair and not to take the lower amount he was offered, but that my dad and I would be over that night to buy it for his asking price.

We bought it and kept it for about two years, but decided to sell it since it was nearly identical to our 77 Ranger we had as well.

My dad decided to ask $15K which I told him was way too low (about 8-9 years ago, and I think it could have brought $22-25K as clean and documented as it was, $45K+ in todays market for sure).

He sold it at Carlisle to a collector from Nebraska or Kansas who flies in to the show each year and drive a new addition home to his collection.

A year later I was contacted by the grandson of the original local owner who tracked me down through my friend we bought it from. He was wanting to buy his grandfathers Bronco that he grew up with. I gave him the collectors info who we sold it to.

I do not know if he ever made the deal to buy it back or not, but I know it was going to be a LOT more than what he knew his grandfather sold it for just a few years prior!

Another funny part about this story is that when I gave him the business address of the collectors company, the grandson who contacted me had just moved back to PA from the same town out west and worked almost across the street from the company the collector we sold it to owned! Small world.

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A similar thing happened on a 34K mile near perfect 74 Ranger survivor we bought several years back.

A friend bought it from the original owner for $3500 to flip it.

He called me to see if the $7K he was asking was fair. Based on his description (and knowing the quality of vehicles he restores and trusting his description), I told him it was very fair and not to take the lower amount he was offered, but that my dad and I would be over that night to buy it for his asking price.

We bought it and kept it for about two years, but decided to sell it since it was nearly identical to our 77 Ranger we had as well.

My dad decided to ask $15K which I told him was way too low (about 8-9 years ago, and I think it could have brought $22-25K as clean and documented as it was, $45K+ in todays market for sure).

He sold it at Carlisle to a collector from Nebraska or Kansas who flies in to the show each year and drive a new addition home to his collection.

A year later I was contacted by the grandson of the original local owner who tracked me down through my friend we bought it from. He was wanting to buy his grandfathers Bronco that he grew up with. I gave him the collectors info who we sold it to.

I do not know if he ever made the deal to buy it back or not, but I know it was going to be a LOT more than what he knew his grandfather sold it for just a few years prior!

Another funny part about this story is that when I gave him the business address of the collectors company, the grandson who contacted me had just moved back to PA from the same town out west and worked almost across the street from the company the collector we sold it to owned! Small world.

Great story Broncitis! I love that that he was basically "across the street", but it would have been awesome to find out what happened in the deal :p I'm sure the collector wasn't looking to sell, and as kls mentioned if a seller isn't looking to sell, then they will only do so "at the right price".

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Val, have you looked into classic car financing? Banks will lend money on good condition old cars because they don't depreciate, and there are ways of determining value.

If you own your home, you can also look at a home equity loan. These are nice because often, the interest is tax deductible.

Point being, depending on interest rate (credit) and down, I'd think you'd be looking at $300 - $350 a month for 4 years with nothing down. If you can scratch up $5k or so, you'd be looking at around $230 a mo. or so.

Don't give up the 'dream' too quickly!!!

OP
OP
blamejane

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Val, have you looked into classic car financing? Banks will lend money on good condition old cars because they don't depreciate, and there are ways of determining value.

If you own your home, you can also look at a home equity loan. These are nice because often, the interest is tax deductible.

Point being, depending on interest rate (credit) and down, I'd think you'd be looking at $300 - $350 a month for 4 years with nothing down. If you can scratch up $5k or so, you'd be looking at around $230 a mo. or so.

Don't give up the 'dream' too quickly!!!

Thanks rshapnm, I hadn't thought of that. Has anybody else spent $15k on a bronco. I feel guilty spending the money, what can I say I'm a girl (we worry) :p

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Thanks rshapnm, I hadn't thought of that. Has anybody else spent $15k on a bronco. I feel guilty spending the money, what can I say I'm a girl (we worry) :p

Yes, plenty of people have spent that. Some have spent double or triple that. A lot of people will say that a Bronco is worth what you are willing to spend on it. In reality, it isn't really that hard for a Bronco to be worth that kind of money.

I know I'd rather spend $15k on a Bronco than a modern car. The Bronco will likely increase in value over time while the modern car will depreciate.

Bullitt94

Loc.
Marshfield, WI
Yes, plenty of people have spent that. Some have spent double or triple that. A lot of people will say that a Bronco is worth what you are willing to spend on it. In reality, it isn't really that hard for a Bronco to be worth that kind of money.

I know I'd rather spend $15k on a Bronco than a modern car. The Bronco will likely increase in value over time while the modern car will depreciate.

Very true, but you need to have a look at it or have someone look at it for you to make sure $15k is going toward a $15k vehicle and not a $5k or $2k one. Gotta protect yourself.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Very true, but you need to have a look at it or have someone look at it for you to make sure $15k is going toward a $15k vehicle and not a $5k or $2k one. Gotta protect yourself.

Very true as well. Pictures often don't give a vehicle it's justice. Buying sight unseen is extremely risky.

You might could persuade one of the Texans on here to go check it out for you! :)