• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NORRA Mexican 1000

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably a great idea. You have one already or getting one?

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Probably a great idea. You have one already or getting one?
No, I wasn't planning on using on. I'm thinking maybe just a helmet support. No surprise, but all this gear I don't normally use in the Bronco is adding up :)

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I just picked up a sweet deal from Temper-Mental Racing. Open faced helmet and visor in pristine condition with built-in PCI Race Radios comm headphones & Mic for$100

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Dang it..Feel free to send anymore of those deals this way!! ;D

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
I'm going to use one this year.

Todd Z.

Do you know which one, specifically, you are going to use? I've been thinking about it but didn't know if it was overkill for this race. The only time I didn't use a neck roll is the one time I hit so hard off a jump that I ruptured a couple of vertebrae with the whiplash.. don't really want that to happen again...I still have issues with the feeling in my right hand.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Do you know which one, specifically, you are going to use? I've been thinking about it but didn't know if it was overkill for this race. The only time I didn't use a neck roll is the one time I hit so hard off a jump that I ruptured a couple of vertebrae with the whiplash.. don't really want that to happen again...I still have issues with the feeling in my right hand.

Where did that happen coach? (any answer is o.k. except the 1000) ;D

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Where did that happen coach? (any answer is o.k. except the 1000) ;D

It was just a stupid little race in W. Texas. It was all my fault. I gassed it on a jump at the wrong time and I wasn't wearing my collar. It doesn't look that bad in the pics, but it rocked back and forth and I bounced around like a rag doll and it ended my racing -- until now. Here's a sequence of the one the hurt me. The wheelie shot then the ass end up shot is the one that rocked me. We bounced like that several times before I got control again. I also included a couple of other shots because those are better memories for me! lol

Attachments

• badjump1.jpg
    badjump1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 61
  • badjump2.jpg
    badjump2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 58
  • badjump3.jpg
    badjump3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 61
  • badjump4.jpg
    badjump4.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 52
  • badjump5.jpg
    badjump5.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 61
  • badjump6.jpg
    badjump6.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 59
  • dustitup.jpg
    dustitup.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 57
  • niceshot.jpg
    niceshot.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
That's a bummer man. It looks like if you would have hit the ramp you would have been fine. Glad you're up to getting out there again. I always have that type of scenario in the back of my mind whenever I'm doing anything off-road. In my business, I can't afford to be hurt.
I really like those last 2 shots. Are you running a sway bar in the front or rear?

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Are you running a sway bar in the front or rear?

Currie anti-sway in the rear, nothing up front. I sold that Bronco to one of the members of my Baja team and they still race it under Trinity Coast Baja. I'll be doing the NORRA races in a "really close" to stock build. And I'll be maneuvering around the big jumps rather than accelerating through them! ;)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

I'll have to review again which model it is, but I can tell you it's one sold by Impact/Mastercraft. We use their products a lot - helmet, driving suit, window nets, seats, etc.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
That Impact by Mastercraft is really a nice unit, but I'm just going with a Simpson collar neck support. It's better than nothing, and with the way we'll be driving, on the cautious side, I'm thinking we'll be fine. I've driven 500 & 700 mile desert runs with no helmet/no support, so it'll definitely be an improvement. I'm more worried about neck fatigue.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey,

I would love to volunteer to at least lend a helping hand (aka gofer) for you guys.... this year; but, that would be pushing it, I'm afraid. I am going to put it on my calendar for next year... and see if I can make it work.

For those who come along to help, what kind of skin does it take to get involved with a team running the race? Not sure if it would make sense; but, if I were looking to ride/navigate, what kind of budget would it take (in round numbers) to make that happen.

I was in Tecate this week doing some work with Toyota. One of the engineers working at the plant was talking about the other Baja races. Evidently one of the plant's suppliers races a trophy truck, winning his class in either the 500 or 1000 last year. He thought the NORRA race sounded cool. His family is from Tecate, and his dad owns a restaurant.... who knows, they might be interested in being willing to provide a meal or two before the race begins in Ensenada.

Just curious how the locals treat you during the event. Traveling in Baja is much different than it was in the early 70s.

I think it is really cool that you guys participate in this.... reasonably affordable for ordinary wheelers, and a lot of history. Pretty cool.

Jeff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Hi Jeff

This is my first NORRA race. I'm involved with a team that races mostly the Best in the Desert and SCORE circuit. In fact, they're at the Mint 400 in Vegas right now. I had to stay and work on completing the Bronco for NORRA.

Since this isn't a points race, and it's more for the fun of the sport, it's less tense in pit support, and you can enjoy the race more. Just doing general help would be appreciated. That would mostly consist of helping with fueling, cleaning windows (if any) cleaning headlights and running lights, clean camera, get the drivers water and food or whatever they need, etc. That kind of stuff.

To co-drive we usually ask for fuel expenses. Other teams may be different depending on how much the race costs to enter, and prize money, etc.

I have been going to Baja since the late 70's. It has changed more closer to the border and in the more densely, touristy populates cities like Cabo. We have never had any issues except the occasional cop that wants cash for speeding, etc.

If your security means what I think it does, be REAL careful about that. A buddy got detained for 5 hours at the border going in because they found ONE old .22 casing back in a cabinet somewhere in his camper.

Jeff10

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indianapolis
Hey Bukin,

Thanks for all the detail.

When I was in high school in LA, my Dad was a frequent volunteer at the 1000 and 500. I used to feel pretty frustrated... I never could understand how that was "work" for him, and why my brother and I needed to stay in school. We made it to a few races in Baja, and quite a few in Arizona and California. He was involved with Bill Stroppe and the propane Broncos and trucks (and Little Debbie) that ran in the early 70s. I always feel like I missed out on a lot (but I got over it).

Fuel expenses sounds pretty reasonable for the experience. I would imagine you would have a lot of guys beating your doors down trying to get into the right seat for that kind of deal. It sure has me interested.

Security is a big deal, and I believe it is all pretty legitimate, and legal. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have said as much as I did. Might be a good time to edit what I wrote.

I'm looking forward to reading more as you get ready to race.

Thanks again.

Jeff

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
The 'ol 40 days to event bump ;)

I'm still prepping. Coating my cage with POR 15 rust preventative ended up taking weeks, factoring in family time and other commitments. I'm so busy at work now that I don't have time during the week. I'm going to put it back in the shop for one last dash to the finish line.

To add to our logistics problems, my team leader's dad just had a stroke. He was in charge of towing the Bronco down and back with his pusher, where we could all sleep. He had to take last week off to make his house wheel chair accessible as far as doorways and a bathroom so his dad can live there.

I still have a nice chase vehicle coming down, but it's only a crew cab F350 and I really want to have a nice place to sleep. Maybe it's not too late to check into hotel rooms. I may even let someone drive my motorhome. It's not a pusher, but it's got a peppy Ford V10, and it sleeps 6 if you spoon ;D

What's everyone else doing for "accommodations". Maybe I'll crawl into a nice bottle of Comemorativo LOL!

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, I'm working away at our truck up here in Petaluma too. Funny how other commitments stack up around the time you're trying to get ready - I've had a fair amount of that going on too, plus poor testing weather.

Sorry to hear about the team logistics issues too.

We are staying at El Cid in Ensenada, camping Bay of LA (NORRA camp), Hacienda Suites Loreto, Bugambilias LaPaz, and Solaris in Cabo. Try those guys on Booking.com or whatever hotel site you like and maybe one will still have rooms. I started getting rooms in Feb and just finished this week. Sometimes it takes trying and calling too. We did bring camping gear and are prepared to use it if need be, in case something gets lost in the paper shuffle.

Andrew

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
At first I was disappointed that we weren't going to be able to do the 1K because of my son's graduation, but now I'm SO happy that we are waiting until the 500 for our first race. We've been working like crazy on this little EB, but it's like groundhog day - every time we "fix" something, it begets something else that needs "fixing"! LOL Trying to take this thing from an "everything is a one-off" to an "off-the-shelf" truck (as much as possible)...We'll be ready for the 500, but man I would be biting button holes in my seat if we were planning on the 1K at this point!:-[ Some things never change.....

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
At first I was disappointed that we weren't going to be able to do the 1K because of my son's graduation, but now I'm SO happy that we are waiting until the 500 for our first race. We've been working like crazy on this little EB, but it's like groundhog day - every time we "fix" something, it begets something else that needs "fixing"! LOL Trying to take this thing from an "everything is a one-off" to an "off-the-shelf" truck (as much as possible)...We'll be ready for the 500, but man I would be biting button holes in my seat if we were planning on the 1K at this point!:-[ Some things never change.....

Save a 4" diameter spare spot on your sheetmetal for a new decal I'll have for you shortly....

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
30 days to go and Baja fever still raging:cool:

The Bukineer was supposed to be in the shop getting the final work done but theres another Bronco getting some extra stuff done so I should be in today or tomorrow.

in the mean time, I flushed the C4 and serviced everything, then filled with synthetic. I did the same to the D20, D44 and 9".

I'm basically replacing the entire coolong system. Coming from TBP are a super HD aluminum radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, gaskets.

Also being installed is a new mechanical fuel pump from TBP as well as an inline backup electrical I can switch on if needed.

She should be off to paint in 2 weeks so I can go to Mexico and scratch her all up again!

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
30 days to go and Baja fever still raging:cool:

I'm basically replacing the entire coolong system. Coming from TBP are a super HD aluminum radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses, gaskets.

That's been my project this week, but keep bumping into issues...even the simple projects seem to take on a life of their own on these little trucks! ;D;D

Good luck, Brutha!! Can't wait to see some pics..

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
That's been my project this week, but keep bumping into issues...even the simple projects seem to take on a life of their own on these little trucks! ;D;D

Good luck, Brutha!! Can't wait to see some pics..

I saw your post with the fan clearance issues. I wish I had a good answer for you. If you have compensated for the body lift (maybe overcompensated?) It should line up. The engine angle seems a little extreme though. I know you should leave at least 1" between the fan and radiator when spaced. Did you end up moving the shroud up?