• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NORRA Mexican 1000

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Things are looking up! I've got a chase truck. Now we just need at least one co-driver for the chase truck and I don't think that will be a problem. Today I was also able to book rooms all the way down except for BOLA of course. That first day is gonna be one long day where I'll wish I had a shower and nice bed to sleep in. Well misery does love company, and they're be a lot of other people in the same predicament. It'll actually be fun partying in tent city, as long as we get there early enough..;)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
YEah, that's going to be a crazy first day. I've made some additions to my list based on that first day and moved some stuff around due to sheer mileage.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Hopefully they'll post up the special stages soon. We're wanting to nail down pit logistics. Right now I'm assuming we'll pit at the Mag 7 locations (I read that the first one, currently at Punta Camalu, is being moved north) at least the first day so I can check the rig over every 75 miles or so. Once I feel comfortable, I figure I'll go to fuel stops.
2 big disadvantages I have are fuel capacity, since I pulled out the aux tank to make room for other stuff, and top end, since I'm running 4.56 gears. It's not worth changing gear ratio this late in the game since I'll be swapping the t/c to an Atlas at some point in the near future and this also may be my only race...but who knows..;)

Last edited:

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
2 big disadvantages I have are fuel capacity, since I pulled out the aux tank to make room for other stuff, and top end, since I'm running .356 gears. It's not worth changing gear ratio this late in the game since I'll be swapping the t/c to an Atlas at some point in the near future and this also may be my only race...but who knows..;)
Curious as to why you feel .356 gears are a problem for you? Also - how much fuel are you carrying now without the 2nd tank? I've got 2 now and I would really like to drop the smaller one but that would leave me with only about about 30 gals.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Well, there's so much flat out stuff like dry lake beds and graded roads. My short running top end is about 70mph @ 3200rpm+, and I don't really want to run that for those long periods. I can do bursts of 80 to pass, but I don't want to stress the motor too much over the 1300 miles. Besides, I'm only here for the beer! ;D

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Well, there's so much flat out stuff like dry lake beds and graded roads. My short running top end is about 70mph @ 3200rpm+, and I don't really want to run that for those long periods. I can do bursts of 80 to pass, but I don't want to stress the motor too much over the 1300 miles. Besides, I'm only here for the beer! ;D

LOL I'm with ya on the beer comment! What size tires are you running? My calcs show that you should be about 93 mph @ 3200 rpm's with 3.56 and 35" tires. I'm not trying to be too nosey, but I've got the same gear ratio and thought it was a really good choice for this race. Higher ratio than I ran in our SCORE racer. Seems that the higher ratio should also improve fuel economy..I dunno, I'm just wingin' this crap! also just going for the cervesa! hahaha

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
LOL I'm with ya on the beer comment! What size tires are you running? My calcs show that you should be about 93 mph @ 3200 rpm's with 3.56 and 35" tires. I'm not trying to be too nosey, but I've got the same gear ratio and thought it was a really good choice for this race. Higher ratio than I ran in our SCORE racer. Seems that the higher ratio should also improve fuel economy..I dunno, I'm just wingin' this crap! also just going for the cervesa! hahaha

Ha, no worries! I should know better and be using the local lingo by now..cerveza!

I'm running a nearly stock 302 - D20 - C4 - 4.56 - 35's. I never have been too concerned with knowing exactly what my speed is at X rpm's because crawling obviously doesn't matter, and I rarely ever drive on the freeway, and the pre-running and long runs we do has a break every 30 min., so there's no need for speed there either. When I am on the freeway I don't like to travel over 65 because I'm already at 3k rpm's...(edit..or there abouts)

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Ha, no worries! I should know better and be using the local lingo by now..cerveza!

I'm running a nearly stock 302 - D20 - C4 - 3.56 - 35's. I never have been too concerned with knowing exactly what my speed is at X rpm's because crawling obviously doesn't matter, and I rarely ever drive on the freeway, and the pre-running and long runs we do has a break every 30 min., so there's no need for speed there either. When I am on the freeway I don't like to travel over 65 because I'm already at 3k rpm's...(edit..or there abouts)

Are you sure you don't mean 4.56s??

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Are you sure you don't mean 4.56s??

Todd Z.

Geeez, yes 4.56's! I've been dealing with changing out over the last few days, I've got every ratio under that on my brain trying to figure out what to do. Good call Todd! I guess what I said earlier makes sense now %)

coachbarnes

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
Geeez, yes 4.56's! I've been dealing with changing out over the last few days, I've got every ratio under that on my brain trying to figure out what to do. Good call Todd! I guess what I said earlier makes sense now %)

Ha...yeah, that makes much more sense. I had done the calc already with my 3.50's and you had me scratching my head wondering if I had really screwed that one up! hahahaha...

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Embarrassingly enough, I had to go back and edit the first screw up just out of shear pride! :-[

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I wanted to replace my fiberglass fender flares for the race since they've been beat up, cracked and trimmed. I ordered a new set of the Gorilla Warflares from WH to show off but just my luck they're on B/O. :( Hopefully they'll arrive in in time.

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Last time on the torture rack before Baja! :cool:

Attachments

• 4.29.14.jpg
    4.29.14.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Thanks NGA, really looking forward to getting this off the bucket list!

OP
OP
Bukin 67

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Anyone going to the Manx 50th party Friday night at HP Ranch? We're thinking of heading there if we don't have to drive %). Our hotel is about a 10 min walk from the bars on Ruiz, so we'll see how it pans out.