• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Official Dash Diagram Thread

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
And this may not matter in the overall scheme of things, but just so you're aware, in mid-'74 when the 4-way flasher switch started appearing on the steering column, early models still had the original dash-mounted switch as well.
So if you're of a mind, you could give '74 it's own dash, or match it to the '73? Maybe list it as " '73 through late-'74" or something like that.
Just not really sure when the exact change came about where the dash mounted switch disappeared.

If I remember correctly, some members here with that combination have said that in those cases both switches were functional.

We have not tracked down precisely when the dash mounted switch disappeared, and whether it was a running change or if it was at the distinct break between '74 and '75.
But I'm pretty sure that early '74's were all the same as the '73 dash. Since the change to using a horn relay and the column mounted hazard switch did not happen at right at the model year changeover.

And why we have nightmares about sending customers the right parts for a '73, '74 or '75 steering column!

Paul

I have never seen a '74 with a hazard switch on the dash. Mine is 1st week of Jan '74, 1/3 through the model year.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good to know. Thanks for the dating on yours. I'm still confident there was a crossover though, unless the ones I've seen and other members have confirmed had their dashes changed out at some point.
Which as we know, is very possible.

What about the horn relay and adding the hazard switch to the turn signal switch? You seen any very early '74's that already had them?

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Good to know. Thanks for the dating on yours. I'm still confident there was a crossover though, unless the ones I've seen and other members have confirmed had their dashes changed out at some point.
Which as we know, is very possible.

What about the horn relay and adding the hazard switch to the turn signal switch? You seen any very early '74's that already had them?

Paul

Never seen one without the relay or without the haz switch on the column either. I looked at the factory wiring diagram, dated Aug '73. It shows the haz switch integrated with the turn signal switch, no extra haz switch, and a horn relay.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
This is what the lamp looks like. If the consensus is that they were only on the
earlier years I will remove it from the later ones.

My 1974 came with the light under the passengers side dash there is a plug in for it right under the glove box in the wiring harness.

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Hey Chris, this is awesome!!

Thanks Tim, you are welcome to use it on your site too if you want.
I may add the light and just note early '66 or something like that...

Thanks for the pics too. Love #2 with the floor pan rain gutter showing. ;)

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Check the latest revision and see if that satisfies the '66 nerds...? :cool:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Nerds lol :) See what Tim thinks, but there may need to be four asterisks for optional options of whatever they happened to install that day flasher lights on the dash lol.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
I think you are going to need a version number on that diagram so people will know if they have the latest.

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
I think you are going to need a version number on that diagram so people will know if they have the latest.

My hope is they come to this thread to use it, but yes, that thought crossed my mind...
So far the only thing that has changed is the split of 66/67 and the renaming of #13 on those two...

Added Revision B notation.

Last edited:

tbratz

Was dual fuel tanks offered in '66? I have a '66 half cab with the factory fuel gauge switch located under the flasher warning light instead of a choke.

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Are you talking about the #14 or #19 spot? If your choke is gone I assume you
mean #19, but under the flasher indicator would be #14...?
I would like to have the '66 gurus chime in with their thoughts on that.
I know I have seen the gauge switch installed on the bottom of the dash under the
steering column on more than one original '67 trucks. One didn't have the
Hand Throttle option either. I was considering adding that to the diagram..?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Are you talking about the #14 or #19 spot? If your choke is gone I assume you
mean #19, but under the flasher indicator would be #14...?
I would like to have the '66 gurus chime in with their thoughts on that.
I know I have seen the gauge switch installed on the bottom of the dash under the
steering column on more than one original '67 trucks. One didn't have the
Hand Throttle option either. I was considering adding that to the diagram..?

Broncohio says yes.........but we know there's errors on that site. Personally I've never seen one that I knew for sure was original. I've got some 66' Bronco dealer and Ford literature and customer literature at home to look through this evening. I'm pretty sure Scott C has a billion 66' pics, and would probably have pics to prove or disprove lol.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Here's your extra fuel tank on a 66' question. This dealer literature was updated 1/66' and says it was available as of May 1966'...............along with some other schnazzy auxiliary equipment! :)

20160930_123340_zpsdqrrruq9.jpg

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Nice job Okie... Now, where does the gage switch go? ;)

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Not sure, we need to find out what tbratz build date was. Dual tank last 3 month production 66' may be a rare bird.

tbratz

You are correct and I was mistaken, the fuel switch is in the #14 position where the throttle is in the diagram. I am not sure of the build date but here is the VIN:U14FL769484.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
You are correct and I was mistaken, the fuel switch is in the #14 position where the throttle is in the diagram. I am not sure of the build date but here is the VIN:U14FL769484.

Mid October build so................ I'm thinking it was added? But who knows for sure. I wonder what the early tank position lever assemblies on the floor boards looked like, are all years the same? Would be interesting to find a May, June, July 66' with an auxiliary tank and compare.

Jaxgtc

The fuel tank switch for the 74-77 should be listed as an option * since the switch is not included if you don't get the dual tanks.
Also, the courtesy light was an option and is included on my '75.

OP
OP
House

House

Minutia Militia
Yep, looks like I missed the * for the switch when it moved columns, thanks.
What are you saying about the courtesy light? That I have it marked as an option on the later models but it was standard issue across the board?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The map lights were never standard that I'm aware of. Most EB's came without them.
The overhead map/dome light might have become standard in later years, like '73 and on maybe. But I don't think they were even an option on earlier models. For sure on '73 and later, but don't know if they became standard or remained optional.
Don't remember seeing any without them after that, at least that still had their wiper motor covers intact. So many got removed, that the lamps were long gone. The wire connectors were there whether the lamp was or not.

Paul