• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil sender reading vs mechanical guage..

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
This got me freaked out until I added an oil mechanical gauge in the mix.

Attachments

• 398175880_1379599026271147_8236671374511064804_n.mp4
    15.2 MB

Lawndart

Loc.
I have often considered installing multiple IVRs so that I could adjust the voltage for indivdual gages to get them to display accurate readings.
I had to do that to get the smaller water temp sensor on a '64 FOMOCO 4bbl intake to read correctly on my gauge.

^^ My oil pressure gauge will get near zero on hot days at idle. I have a mechanical under the hood - it tells me, no worries :)

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
I had to do that to get the smaller water temp sensor on a '64 FOMOCO 4bbl intake to read correctly on my gauge.

^^ My oil pressure gauge will get near zero on hot days at idle. I have a mechanical under the hood - it tells me, no worries :)
Where did you connect it if you have the sensor next to the fuel pump?

Lawndart

Loc.
Where did you connect it if you have the sensor next to the fuel pump?
Sorry, if I was vague.

Oil gauge:
I installed a liquid filled motorcycle gauge via a "tee" off the end of the stock extender - allowing stock sender and manual gauge. It is tight, but works fine.
53308966498_fa7c52a616_c.jpg

53308716146_10cefae7c0_c.jpg

Temp sender:
I had an issue with the older (smaller) style temp sensor used in the early 60s. I hooked up a resistor decade box between the wiring and the temp sender. With the use of an IR temp gun to get the real temp at the sender area and comparing to the gauge inside, I changed the resistor value with the decade box until they matched. Then I placed a resistor (value as determined by decade box) inline with the wiring.

Cheers!

TAC71

Contributor
The Factory style oil psi senders are garbage...just like everything else nowadays. I just replaced mine because the reading was off. Had to get 3 before I found one that read the same as my mech. test gauge. I also run an oil idiot light/buzzer so I don't miss a low oil psi moment when not looking at the gauge.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I am using the factoy one and it is driving me crazy to MAD. At idle mine is at 40psi and at 70mph (not sure the rpm) its showing 70'ish psi.... :eek:

Last edited: