• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Opinion on axels…

Slick67

So-
I’ve just bought $20k in parts to finish off a resto my dad and I started.

It ended up being a lot nicer than either of us expected (imo in the ball park of a kindred rig) and now it’ll be to the point that anything beyond a scratch that’ll buff out will pretty much NOT happen.

Soooo I’m still planing on running 4 corner disc brakes regardless.
*actual question-
Should I bother with 35 spline axels & ARB?

Or WAIT for a while anyhow?

OP
OP
S

Slick67

It’s just that THOSE are the $$$ final parts…. Like another $10k all said! Sooooo I’m just wondering how much it too much, on a rig that won’t really see too much off road’n?

OP
OP
S

Slick67

sounds like you don't need ARB or 35 spline axles
I mean, ‘need’ NO!

But 😬 90% of what’s on it is un-needed. I am KINDA building it to the standards of how those $150k rigs (that also will NEVER go off road) SHOULD be built.

But I just am struggling as to where to draw that line……

OP
OP
S

Slick67

what kinda drivetrain and trans?
It’s a 351-zf5-np205-d44/9”sb.

31 vs 35 wouldn’t really save too much would it? And I think the ARB is the same if it’s 28, 31 or 35, isn’t it?

The part that can get crazy expensive can be the wilwood brakes!
If you do all wilwood, or just up-front etc

OP
OP
S

Slick67

The 351 is pretty high hp/torque tho…
I wanna say like 450 and don’t recall the torq #’s
Pop built that, I did other stuff
Well …he did most of it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Who is it that found that 35 spline ARBs are weak? Only good if you get the comp model or something like that? Neverstuk? It's been a long day...

Yes, you need 31 spline axles. Probably all you need. If you are anywhere close to having issues with 31s, you will be having issues with a stock housing flexing first. Which leads the question of what housing are you planning on running? From the sounds of the build it really won't be abused off-road. Which has me thinking a tru-trac or some other worm style limited slip would be good. Work great until you put a tire in the air, at which point they can still work good with a little riding the brakes to force the torque bias.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Forget off roading. How will you be using it on the street? More to the point, what size tires?

Are you going to play hard and try to do burnouts occasionally? Reverse burnouts, forward burnouts, donuts? Any of those sound like they might bring a smile to your face?
Going to be doing burnouts in the gravel that might end up on the hard pavement?
Just trying to get a feel for how much of that available 450lbs of torque is going to get put through the axles.

Last edited:

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
good to clarify DirtDonk. i assumed he wasnt doing burnouts in gravel due to the "no scratches" comment. i made a few assumptions actually... like it would be pavement princess like mine. :cool:

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Forget off roading. How will you be using it on the street? More to the point, what size tires?

Are you going to play hard and try to do burnouts occasionally? Reverse burnouts, forward burnouts, donuts? Any of those sound like they might bring a smile to your face?
Going to be doing burnouts in the gravel that might end up on the hard pavement?
Just trying to get a feel for how much of that available 450lbs of torque is going to get put through the axles.
Likely not many stints of gravel to pavement, but yes, strong possibility to the rest.

It’s sporting 35” mt’s

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Under those conditions, I’m kind of torn on the 31 versus 35 spline decision then.
While 31s live under some pretty harsh conditions, my feeling is that if you ever plan to do any of this stuff with a limited slip, locker, or full spool, such as an ARB when it’s engaged, then I would just spend the extra go with 35 splines right up front.
One less thing to break.

Sure, you might start breaking u-joints and pinion yokes, or Dana 20 output shafts, but those items are mostly less expensive and easier to replace than 35 spline axles.
Not that axles aren’t inexpensive and easy to replace, but a joint can be had at the local auto parts store and you can replace it with hand tools.
Not so much for a transfer case Output Shaft of course, but you’re getting the picture.
Did you say you’re keeping the stock Dana 20?

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Under those conditions, I’m kind of torn on the 31 versus 35 spline decision then.
While 31s live under some pretty harsh conditions, my feeling is that if you ever plan to do any of this stuff with a limited slip, locker, or full spool, such as an ARB when it’s engaged, then I would just spend the extra go with 35 splines right up front.
One less thing to break.

Sure, you might start breaking u-joints and pinion yokes, or Dana 20 output shafts, but those items are mostly less expensive and easier to replace than 35 spline axles.
Not that axles aren’t inexpensive and easy to replace, but a joint can be had at the local auto parts store and you can replace it with hand tools.
Not so much for a transfer case Output Shaft of course, but you’re getting the picture.
Did you say you’re keeping the stock Dana 20?

OP
OP
S

Slick67

My bad Dana 44!!!!
🤦‍♂️
I don’t know why I say 20. My T-case is the np205. My front end is the Dana 44 vs the stock 30.
So sry for my confusion.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 205 should be fine then. So you can choose to upgrade the U-joint size to either a 1330, 1350, or just use the driveshaft as a “fuse“ kind of a thing.😁😎
Then again, with only using all that torque occasionally. Maybe you won’t ever break anything!🤔🙄

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Small bearing 9" housing is going to be the limiting factor. There is a conversion bearing to run 31 spline. Not sure you can get 35 spline to work on a small bearing. Besides the stock housing is getting marginal with 31s.

OP
OP
S

Slick67

Small bearing 9" housing is going to be the limiting factor. There is a conversion bearing to run 31 spline. Not sure you can get 35 spline to work on a small bearing. Besides the stock housing is getting marginal with 31s.
I swore there was a kit or something for running 35 spline in sd’s?
No??